Pothos, other plants to lower nitrates

pawsplus

Hi - Over here ( http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/109035-elevated-nitrates/ ) I asked about my slightly elevated nitrates, which seem to be at least partly from my water, which has 10-20 ppm out of the tap (I'm on a spring).

Someone suggested a pothos. I did a little research and apparently they will grow bare-rooted just floating in the tank or in a HoB filter. Is this what you guys would recommend? Will GF eat pothos, and if so, is that OK? I know my tortoise once ate a pothos w/ no ill effect.

Or are there other easy, GF-resistant plants I could add? I don't want to have to have special lighting, etc., or to get into something that is a ton of work (I have 2 jobs, a small farm, horses, a ton of pets, etc.!). But I'd like to drop my nitrates and I think the only way I can do that, given the naturallly occurring nitrates in my water, is to add plants, right?

I have a pothos, and the fish do fine with it :). They chew on the roots when they get too big and so far there hasn't been any ill effects.

Another plant that is a good nitrate eater from what I hear is mangrove. We actually have a member here (Acro) who sells them:

http://www.kokosgold...-sale-or-trade/

http://www.kokosgold...mangrove-trees/

I recently bought one myself :)

There are also a ton of low light plants you can add such as: anubias, amazon swords, anarcharis, java fern, and a few others I'll look for for you :D

I have my pothos and will put my own mangrove (when it comes in!!) in this: http://www.walmart.c...-Caddy/19287920

I hope this helped!

Edit: this link is all about low light plants:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/Plants.html

Edited by anastasiam

OK so . . . the roots go in the water and the plant stays OUT of the water, right? I can put it in my filter? Or put the roots right in the tank? Is one better than the other? I'm not sure how I would put the roots in the tank itself b/c the top fits pretty tightly and I don't want the door on the top open b/c of the kitties.

I got some pothos cuttings from the work plant of a co-worker, so I'll start w/ that. Looking into lucky bamboo as well. :)

Sorry about that! I had a busy day yesterday... But yes, a pothos can totally go into a HOB! I personally have a Biowheel, so half of my HOB doesn't have filter media. I'm not a big fan of the thought of the roots getting tangled up in the media. What kind of HOB do you have?

I use a soap dish from walmart, and put the roots in there. I have quite a few in my tank, and they do quite well. I also have a peace lily, and lots of lucky bamboo. :) All of it lives in the soap dishes. Every once in a while, I take the plants out and clean up the dishes, but other than that, they're very low maintenance. :)

I have to take a picture of something else for a friend, so while I'm doing that, I'll share a pothos pic for you. Mine have been in there almost a year, and they're doing great.

I use a soap dish from walmart, and put the roots in there. I have quite a few in my tank, and they do quite well. I also have a peace lily, and lots of lucky bamboo. :) All of it lives in the soap dishes. Every once in a while, I take the plants out and clean up the dishes, but other than that, they're very low maintenance. :)

I have to take a picture of something else for a friend, so while I'm doing that, I'll share a pothos pic for you. Mine have been in there almost a year, and they're doing great.

What kind of soap dish do you use? Is it fully submerged? I ask 'cause I'm looking for suggestions myself :D

What kind of soap dish do you use? Is it fully submerged? I ask 'cause I'm looking for suggestions myself :D

Here you go! :)

100_5303_zps60a78f4d.jpg

100_5304_zps08139d47.jpg

100_5305_zps3aa97fc5.jpg

Just a 2 dollar soap dish from walmart, and 3 dollar "heavy duty suction cups" to support the weight of the planter. Soap dish sits at the correct height so that the roots, and only the roots, sit below the water. :) The pothos has been in there about a year, and the lucky bamboo/peace lily about 5 months?

I have a pothos, and the fish do fine with it :). They chew on the roots when they get too big and so far there hasn't been any ill effects.

Another plant that is a good nitrate eater from what I hear is mangrove. We actually have a member here (Acro) who sells them:

http://www.kokosgold...-sale-or-trade/

http://www.kokosgold...mangrove-trees/

I recently bought one myself :)

There are also a ton of low light plants you can add such as: anubias, amazon swords, anarcharis, java fern, and a few others I'll look for for you :D

I have my pothos and will put my own mangrove (when it comes in!!) in this: http://www.walmart.c...-Caddy/19287920

I hope this helped!

Edit: this link is all about low light plants:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/Plants.html

Fantastic post lady!

So I got some pothos and lucky bamboo this weekend and here's the result! I put the pothos in one filter and the lucky bamboo in the other. Both filters are Marineland biowheel filters (one large single; one double--not sure of exact model numbers).

I think it looks really neat! And since the tank is under a window, the plants will get plenty of light (the window only goes down to the top of the tank and I have a lot of trees, so it doesn't heat up the water appreciably in the summertime).

tank_pothos_zps95c80b39.jpg

pothos_zpsf484e704.jpg

lucky_bamboo_zps53746cdc.jpg

Edited by pawsplus

Looks great!

Just watch the roots of these plants. From my experience the pothos will quickly grow massive roots which which grow into the filter media - or worse, into the motor compartment and may clog or even ruin a filter.

I'd probably get a really cheap extra HOB that is not being run with media, but only to hold the plants. You could make a barrier to the motor out of a piece of floss, or you just keep checking the roots every week or two and trim them down a bit if needed :)

This filter here is quite cheap, and it does not matter that it has a low flow rate of 100gph; after all you do not need this for processing ammonia and nitrite, but for the plants to absorb the nitrate. :)

http://www.walmart.com/ip/10313136?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227000000000&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=&wl3=21486607510&wl4=&wl5=pla&veh=sem

I'm considering a cannister filter (see my questions about that in Tanks and Equip) and if I get that I can turn one of the 2 current HOBs into plants only. I thought of the roots and am keeping an eye on them. The lucky bamboo shouldn't be a problem--they grow minimal roots. But the pothos--yeah, it's a concern. I'll keep an eye on it until I can turn one filter into plants only.

However, if you see my filter thread, I'm concerned that adding a cannister without keeping all 3 filters running w/ media won't improve things much, based on GPH.

Both the pothos, and the lucky bamboo, have roots that grow WILD. I have the roots of both plants just about reaching the bottom of the tank, when left unchecked in their soap dishes. Be sure to check and trim them often, in a HOB

I'm considering a cannister filter (see my questions about that in Tanks and Equip) and if I get that I can turn one of the 2 current HOBs into plants only. I thought of the roots and am keeping an eye on them. The lucky bamboo shouldn't be a problem--they grow minimal roots. But the pothos--yeah, it's a concern. I'll keep an eye on it until I can turn one filter into plants only.

However, if you see my filter thread, I'm concerned that adding a cannister without keeping all 3 filters running w/ media won't improve things much, based on GPH.

Maybe not on gph, but canister filters require on average only half the gph of an HOB due to their increased amount of biomedia. The water flows slower, but has to pass a lot more beneficial bacteria.

Canister vs. HOB is like Bounty vs. Bargain Brand paper towels. Both will do the job, but of the bargain brand (HOB) you need more sheets (GPH) to get the job done.

This metaphor is borderline ingenious :lol

Thank you!

Like i said, i plan on adding just a bit more, i really like the peace lily thats in there too, adds some nice leafyness and you can get good sized ones cheap!

I also plan to enhance this setup by adding a second canister filer and splitting the outflow four times and having it drain into the breeder boxes, eliminating the unsightly pumps and intakes that i use for the breeder boxes.

I'm probably hallucinating, but the nitrates seem a little lower! I have a really hard time reading that particular card--I can convince myself that the color in the tube looks like anything from 20-80! But it seemed lighter to me when I tested nitrates last night. Next time I do it I'll test the tap and the tank simultaneously so I can compare.