Sign in to follow this  
Helen

Leonidis, Tumor Removal 11.03.2013

Leonidis required the removal of 3 benign tumors from his body and fins. here is how i managed to remove them. we did have some complications that were overcome. i received the close support of dnalex who made himself available during Leon's procedure. thank you Alex :)

here is a video of my preparations prior to the procedure:

here is Leonidis undergoing sedation, i chose clove oil to sedate with. it's his 3rd surgery and he handled clove oil well on the other two occasions :)

here is how a fish behaves when the sedation has not taken full effect. with every surgery, there is the risk that your patient will not wake up again, so my aim is to sedate as lightly as possible. unfortunately, for the body tumor, the light sedating that i did, was not allowing me the comfort to proceed. so i decided to give him a few more minutes in with the clove oil.

this video shows the removal of tumor from his dorsal which i also removed the rear section of his dorsal in hope that the tumor will not grow back. as well as the dorsal tumor, i needed to remove the tumor from his tail, in this video, you will also see my attempt to remove a section of the tail, however, the video for some unknown reason stopped recording just before i finished. we succeeded :)

Leonidis's surgery was a huge success, but as i mentioned before, there were complications. only one, but that was enough to send my levels of concern through the roof. what happened? well, the tail where i cut the tumor off, i had to cut through a bone. once i cut through it, i noticed that i had also cut through a vein. i was hoping that would clot. but unfortunately it did not, he bled like this, constantly for 40 mins. here's what it looked like, bleeding out :(

i tried to apply pressure, but that didn't work. Alex suggested soda, but that too did not work, both ideas were tried multiple times but Leonidis was showing signs of weakening and i was very scared that i was losing him. please excuse my tired and frustrated tone.

the superglue worked a treat and we managed to stop the bleeding immediately once it was applied. so, superglue will ALWAYS be at hand with every future surgery :)

and here is the video from 1 hour after the last surgery of having applied the superglue to stop the bleed out. whilst he was under for that, i took the opportunity to remove more of the tumor from his body, we did really well.

with the idea that the superglue would keep the tail fins together long enough for the tail to start naturally fusing together, i was a little bit disappointed to find that only later that day, it didn't hold as well as i expected. so, i thought, we will just accept the fact that Leonidis will now have a split tail and left it at that. i am just very thankful that it assisted in stopping the bleed out, otherwise he would have died.

now, almost 4 weeks later, Leonidis is continuing to do very well and much to my surprise, the section from the tail is growing back as it was :) also, there is some growth in the dorsal too! and this time around, the regrowth on the body tumor seems to be slower than other times, so that's very comforting!.. here is his regrowth today :)

leonsfinregrowth_zpsf3dfde9b.jpg

once again, i would like to thank Koko for building such a wonderful site, Alex yet again, for being a good friend at the time of need (which is always :heart ) and my friends here for just being you :heart :heart

** please note, most of my videos are set to unlisted. my educational videos are made by myself to assist and help educate members of the kokosgoldfish.com community. before sharing on facebook or other websites, please ask my permission in a koko PM. thank you :)

I'm so glad it was successful! And he's looking really good post-surgery! :)

I'm so glad it was successful! And he's looking really good post-surgery! :)

thank you! i was so nervous with the sedating side of things, i always am! but the outcome was really good, so huge relief and big smiles all'round :)

You gotz skillz, lady! :D

You gotz skillz, lady! :D

and the confidence.. from you :P thanks again :)

i checked him out today and the dorsal has grown some more. i am astounded! i checked the 100 or so photos i took of him yesterday and i swear, it's already grown some more! goldfish are just soooo amazing :) i love how they repair themselves with excellent water quality and little effort from their keepers :heart

Absolutely amazing. :clapping:

I was nervous just watching it. I don't know how you do it. My heart is still pounding.

Wonderful, wonderful job. :D

And another :clapping: for Leonidis. What a tough fish!! :heart

thank you Lisa :)

regrowth on the fins i removed is still growing back nicely tumor free! (thus far) :)

the original tumor on the left side of his body has now grown a little since surgery.. also, the spot i suspected would be a tumor growing on his other side towards his butt is poking through some more. so that definitely is a tumor :( never the less, it will be cut of whenever it needs to and hopefully i can manage to get those two at the same time. i forecast another procedure within the next few months. i am now suspecting another tumor at the base of his tail :( this will be most difficult and my biggest concern as i will actually need to cut into him quite a bit in order to have that removed. i don't know if i can do it. only time will tell.

Wow, Helen, great job! You sure are brave! :)