What kind of algae is this?

I'm thinking that it might be black algae, but I'm no algae expert :rofl

It's popping up in random areas of the tank, but this is the biggest area of it... What's causing it? Is it harmful?

I've been battling brown algae as well, but I just scrape it off..

100_0045_zpsfe6aa615.jpg

If you look close it has some light green spots:

100_0043_zps3f8c8c94.jpg

I'm sorry for the really bad camera quality!

It looks kind of like black spot algae, which as far as I can kind, most aquarists seem to believe is a type of black brush algae(?). Is it fuzzy or hairy? Either way it shouldn't be harmful.

A few months ago Lucerne was dealing with BBA, his thread might be worth checking out.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/105872-black-brush-algae/

Hmm... It doesn't look particularly hairy... I can try a different light schedule like Lucerne and see how that goes?

You could try, it's certainly worth a shot. I wonder if spot dosing of Excel would do anything? It works on actual black brush algae.

I can pick some up tomorrow hopefully :). As long as it helps for walls and not just plants lol!

Well it is generally performed on plants, that's why I said "I wonder" if it would work. :rofl

This may sound like a stupid question, but can you not just wipe it off?

Yup! But it keeps coming back... in hard to reach places. Like inside the Ehiem water output (or whatever its called lol!). That's kind of why I was wondering if it was harmful lol