Looking for goldfish variety suggestions!

Hi all! I'm Kj and I'm SO thrilled to have found a forum full of people who are as obsessed with goldfish as I am.

I need your suggestions, but first, some background: I have a 55 gallon tank that has been up for about 4 months. I have a 4 year old 3-inch red and white oranda (I think; he may be a red cap...) named Merlin and a 5-inch (or so) calico ryukin named Mike Doyle. I'm not sure Mike Doyle's age because he was a pretty recent rescue from my local fish store. I have had Merlin since he was a tiny chain store fishy. I also keep a couple of apple snails who don't seem to mind the aquarium salt (Marcia and Greg). Perhaps this link to view some photos would help: http://s1297.photobu...library/Fishies

I would really appreciate some opinions from you all! I am looking to add a third (and probably final due to tank space) fancy to my family. Do you have any recommendations? I'm really pretty open to any goldie who looks different than Mike and Merlin. Thanks in advance for any and all replies!

Hi and welcome to the forum! If you are regularly adding aquarium salt to your tank, please do not do this :)

Your fish are fat and happy looking! I would say your red cap oranda has grown very well. Almost any goldfish type would work in your tank, I'd head to the photos section to see the fish other people have and see if anything strikes your fancy :)

I hope this is how I reply...I will surf the forums and get better xD

No no, I actually use much less than the recommended amount of salt, but it is there, so I was a little concerned about the snails at first. They don't seem to notice at all!

I wonder if bubble eyes would be a poor choice because of my driftwood. Any tips?

With goldfish, it is best to use no salt at all unless it is being used as a medication. The reason behind this is because certain parasites and pathogens can become resistant and immune to salt after prolonged exposure, which would make using salt as a treatment not effective. There is no need or benefit to adding salt with every water change. I would just save what you have left for use only as a medication. :)

I love the name Mike Doyle :D

and his fins certainly are something to be proud of!

Thank you Ms. Jenny! Now that I think back I'm pretty sure I added a pinch when I set up the new tank but haven't added any since. I appreciate the info! This is why I wanted a nice forum, some of the information you find out there is so confusing and contradictory. I want advice from people who love goldies :) :) Stoney is gorgeous, by the way. I'm really leaning toward a dark third fish. I was liking panda orandas but it seems they don't keep that distinct color well.

Thanks Jenzaar! It just kind of came to me and ending up sticking, hahaha! I think he knows his fins are beautiful ;) he swooshes with confidence! He is a blast to watch.

Welcome to Koko's! Your fish are gorgeous :)

If it was my tank and I was going to add another fish, I'd probably go either with a ranchu or lionhead (or a lionchu, for that matter). Either all orange, or orange/white or red/white. That would be the perfect addition, in my opinion :)

Oerba Yun Fang, thank you! I have been fascinated by videos of lionheads :o I've never actually seen one in real life. It's tough cookies living in a town that let its only great fish store go out of business xD I annoy the heck out of the only decent fish shop around, two hours north of me. It's hard to find a fish long distance!

Thank you, teleSC!! I'm SO ENAMORED with Oki. Potentially the most beautiful goldfish I've ever seen! Good thing my fish can't read this ;) Seriously beautiful. What variety is that??

:o :o I've just discovered Dandy Orandas. This...is about to get expensive. LOL

Edited by kaylaj2355

Hidr, is there a way to remove salt from the tank? Would it still be there after 4 months? I put in less than a teaspoon 4 months ago. This is why I'm SO glad I found Koko's! Veiltails are breathtaking. Thank you!

Oh good, thanks Lisa! No more salt! :P Hooray, go Michiganders! I actually go to Blue Fish Aquarium in your neck of the woods to get almost all my fish supplies.

That's so great! I'm so glad I found this place. I have NO ONE to talk to about my fish! Haha.

Ah, before I go any further, I should probably ask if there is a list of forum rules or guidelines anywhere. I don't want that "warn status" bar to fill at all!

Edited by kaylaj2355

Oerba Yun Fang, thank you! I have been fascinated by videos of lionheads :o I've never actually seen one in real life. It's tough cookies living in a town that let its only great fish store go out of business xD I annoy the heck out of the only decent fish shop around, two hours north of me. It's hard to find a fish long distance!

Thank you, teleSC!! I'm SO ENAMORED with Oki. Potentially the most beautiful goldfish I've ever seen! Good thing my fish can't read this ;) Seriously beautiful. What variety is that??

:o :o I've just discovered Dandy Orandas. This...is about to get expensive. LOL

Thank you so much, Kj. :) That was really kind :) Oki is my butterfly telescope from Dandy Orandas. The auctions can be really expensive, but take advantage of the sales they sometimes have. ;)

Edited by teleSC

LOL thanks a bunch, Lisa! See you around! :D

Yeah, Oki is STUNNING. I saw one on the video at Dandy Orandas that looked like him and it's just unreal. I think I may have figured out what kind of look I'm aiming for! Though, his eyes...would he be okay with my driftwood or should I switch it out with something smoother?

Time for me to do some shopping, then, it sounds like! Too bad it's expensive to ship rocks!! xD Thanks for your help. I'll be lurking and admiring Oki! Oh, Cary, you're beautiful too ;)

Time for me to do some shopping, then, it sounds like! Too bad it's expensive to ship rocks!! xD Thanks for your help. I'll be lurking and admiring Oki! Oh, Cary, you're beautiful too ;)

cary was like my biscuit :heart

Biscuit always has been and always will be the cutest name for any pet ever :D

With goldfish, it is best to use no salt at all unless it is being used as a medication. The reason behind this is because certain parasites and pathogens can become resistant and immune to salt after prolonged exposure, which would make using salt as a treatment not effective. There is no need or benefit to adding salt with every water change. I would just save what you have left for use only as a medication. :)

I too add a little salt to my tank. I'm wondering if that's why my fish have been healthy though since I've had 4 of them since June of last year. I hear what your saying though Jenny and didn't realize this before.