Strange color change

pawsplus

I need to get a pic of George now, and I'll do that and post it later. Here is George BEFORE the color change:

DSCF1715.jpg

He was totally white. In the last 6 mos or so, he's gotten these yellowish areas around his nose/head, back, tail, etc. I've had him 4-5 years so I don't think it's a manifestation of becoming adult (as he already was). I did have some water quality issues there for a while--just a few weeks (long story) but all is well now. He's eating well, acting normally, etc.

Any ideas? I'll try to get a pic tonight.

What are you feeding him? Are these yellowish or peach, as if he were going to begin turning gold?

Goldfish can have color changes at any time in their lives, so being an adult doesn't have much to do with it.

Edited by ChelseaM

Yellowing can be related to food -- feeding foods with high levels of things such as spirulina algae, for example, can bring about yellowing. Are you feeding Repashy soilent green? Saki-Hikari? Lots of brine shrimp (the shells of shrimp can cause color changes)?

I don't know--doesn't look like normal GF color to me. They eat mostly ProGold w/ a little steamed kale, spinach, leaf lettuce, etc. Nothing exotic.

I'll get a pic-that will help!

It couldn't be <gulp> ammonia burn, could it? As I said, we had a bad water quality period, although that was a long time ago and has been resolved since.

Totally normal! My chocolate calico went though a huge color change once before. He was a really nice blue and orange calico with plenty of blotches but now he is a chocolate calico! I noticed him stop changing when I took him off brine shrimp.

I like it! It would have freaked me out if it happened to my fish though too. Lol. :) I have noticed that my orange fish has gotten brighter-organge/almost red since I started feeding Saki Hikari. It seemed to happen overnight. My black moor has stayed pretty dark but I am wondering if she will change too later. Beautiful fish! :)