Sign in to follow this  
Smurfishy

DIY indoor bog filter ideas.

I am running ideas through my head. I am wondering how much surface area is sufficient, maybe an under the bed tote? I was wondering if I can put it on one end of my 75g and let it drain out on one end. Otherwise I am guessing I would need two pumps, one to bring to the filter, one to bring back to the tank? Regarding not rinsing the root ball, is there concerns with the fertilizer hurting the fish?

Give me a little help here by describing your constraints. The easiest way to build a bog filter is to have it sitting next to the tank, just high enough so the return pipe can get over the top of the tank. The best shape for a bog filter container is probably like a very large mixing bowl. An underbed box is too shallow. The container depth should be from 12-18 inches, so you can have 6-12 inches of gravel. Totes are generally not the best idea, since they are too flexible for you to get a reliably tight fit for the uniseal.

A flowerpot with a wall as rigid as a standard 5 gallon bucket works well.

How would I get it up that high? It is maybe 4' to the top of the tank. The reason I thought rectangular is because I thought maybe I can make like 2 rows and have it on top of one end of the tank. I could possibly try to move the tank and stand a foot over to the left where I have a ledge that is in front of my kitchen sink.. Or I could put it on top of my 55g snake tank maybe that is adjacent to my tank... There is a heavy duty tote they sell at wally world for $10 btw. What if I used a tote and reinforced the uniseal with sealant?

Sealant will not help a uniseal. It is held in place by the pressure of the pipe inside it. If the wall is too flexible, it twists. I had that problem with this tote (see picture 8) and I used a piece of plastic to reinforce the wall. It worked. Then I used a cheap flowerpot for a filter and had the same problem. That time I cut a gasket of liner repair tape for the inside and another for the outside. That worked too. So it can be done, but it's no fun.

I don't understand what you are saying here:

"I thought maybe I can make like 2 rows and have it on top of one end of the tank."

You can put the filter on a stool like this . I use stepping stones or patio blocks stacked to adjust height of just about anything, indoors or out.