genetics, maybe?

katiehuggins

What do you mean on black eye?

I really think you are better off getting a Photobucket account so you can share photos. :)

If I am correct in guessing, the black eyes are referred to a button eyes, and you get them in certain calico goldfish, regardless of what type they are.

As Alex said button eyes are typically found in calico and matte scaled fishes. Because the scaling is not nacreous and is instead opaque and nearly clear it looks like the eye is completely black. This pigmentation also applies to the eyes. It isn't a pearlscale only trait :)

As Alex said button eyes are typically found in calico and matte scaled fishes. Because the scaling is not nacreous and is instead opaque and nearly clear it looks like the eye is completely black. This pigmentation also applies to the eyes. It isn't a pearlscale only trait :)

Look, you have one in your sig! :rofl

Look, you have one in your sig! :rofl

:rofl! Cider only has one button eye, the other is nacreous. Cider is technically a calico, although she only has like 3 very small black spots. My other tiku calico, Ushi, has two button eyes.

Ah yeah I have a Matt white Fantail with one big Black round button eye and the other black is "blobby shape with the light blue

Calico goldfish of any type and shubunkins are nacreous fish. I have read that all pearlscales are nacreous. I have no idea if that is true, but my Pearls had babies that are clearly nacreous, so she is nacreous as well. (Daddy is a metallic fantail.)

For those who aren't familiar with the terms, most solid-colored and most red, orange, or yellow and white goldfish have all metallic scales. The scales are shiny and reflect light. their eyes will have the normal appearance with a distinct iris and pupil. The opposite are matte fish, who have all scales that reflect little light, giving a flat finish. Mattes will have two button, or all black eyes. Nacreous fish have one gene for metallic scales and one for matte scales, so they have a mixture of metallic and matte scales. They can have two normal eyes, one normal and one button eye, or two button eyes.