Sign in to follow this  
LovelyChaos

Building a bog filter

I'm trying to build a bog filter for my 125 gallon outdoor aquarium and apparently I am very challenged at visualization and planning >.< there is a harbor freight near me, but not a tractor supply, and I haven't found anywhere else that sells those 17.5 gallon buckets online.

I was going to use this pump

http://www.harborfreight.com/620-gph-submersible-fountain-pump-68393.html

But I have no clue what to use as a container. I was looking at rubbermaid waste baskets, but I'm not sure they are strong enough while being that tall? And I'm not really in love with sterilite tub shapes. Is there a better container to use?

I'm good at making, just not planning....

Awesome! Building a bog filter is very rewarding and much simpler than you think :)

http://www.amazon.co...lex+muck+bucket

Order it online if you can. I had to order my muck bucket online. Alternatively you can use a large flower pot, but I would get suggestions from Shakaho about the right ones to use.

I think that pump would be good. I have the the smaller one and it's very powerful.

Edited by sarajo

I've seen buckets like that at walmart.

Awesome! Building a bog filter is very rewarding and much simpler than you think :)

http://www.amazon.co...lex+muck+bucket

Order it online if you can. I had to order my muck bucket online. Alternatively you can use a large flower pot, but I would get suggestions from Shakaho about the right ones to use.

I think that pump would be good. I have the the smaller one and it's very powerful.

Ah! Awesome! I just love that when I googled the thing all over the place it was impossible to find! Thanks!

I've seen buckets like that at walmart.

I'll check there too. Unfortunately so cal isn't so great with farming supplies and things like that.

I've seen them in the storage bin section and also the garden dep. for planters.

im' kind of in the same situation but I need a 30gallon -something- for my filter and it needs to last the winter.

NO! To the Walmart, K-Mart, Lowes, HD tubs that are the same size. They are thin, flexible, and made of recycled plastic (which typically disintegrates within a few months of outdoor use). I had one I just used (unmodified) for a duckweed tub. It lasted 3 months. You need something with at least the thickness and rigidity of a standard five gallon bucket.

There are some large "whiskey barrel" flowerpots at Home Depot that are a suitable size and shape for a bog filter. They are more expensive and certainly not as sturdy as the muck buckets. You don't want a tall container like a garbage can for a bog filter since you only want the gravel to be a foot deep and you want a large surface area for planting.

A lot of people use these for filter containers for larger ponds.

NO! To the Walmart, K-Mart, Lowes, HD tubs that are the same size. They are thin, flexible, and made of recycled plastic (which typically disintegrates within a few months of outdoor use). I had one I just used (unmodified) for a duckweed tub. It lasted 3 months. You need something with at least the thickness and rigidity of a standard five gallon bucket.

There are some large "whiskey barrel" flowerpots at Home Depot that are a suitable size and shape for a bog filter. They are more expensive and certainly not as sturdy as the muck buckets. You don't want a tall container like a garbage can for a bog filter since you only want the gravel to be a foot deep and you want a large surface area for planting.

Oh, there are a bunch of used drums for sale near me. Is used ok?

I was just looking at these~! I'll definitely use one of these, and probably just spray the outside black or make a little enclosed surround for it like I will with the pond. Thanks shakaho :)

Used drums are fine. You can get 30 gallon drums from a carwash. Mine cost $5, but you can often get them free. Just get one that had detergent in it rather than wax or rain-x. The detergent washes out clean. If you are nervous about it, you can fill the drum with water with some vinegar in it and soak it to remove every trace of detergent. Kayla made her filter from a 30 gallon drum. I have one also.

The 55 gallon drums often are food grade, and had something unquestionably safe in them.

The drums are not ideal for bog filters. The gravel would be too deep. You want to use some kind of plastic media in these -- bioballs, pvc ribbon, or assorted plastic junk. You can still put plants in the top in pots like with this bucket filter.

The only differences between a bog filter and a bucket/barrel/drum filter is the shape, the biomedium, and whether you plant directly in the medium (gravel) or put pots of plants (in gravel) on top of the plastic biomedium.

You could make a container for a large bog filter by cutting off the top third or so of a 55 gallon drum.

I found a private business who sells a bunch of sizes. They even have 15 and 17 gallon ones.

Here's a great container for a large bog filter. It's easy to find, too. The only reason I didn't think of it sooner is that these preformed ponds are usually designed for in-ground use only. But this one says specifically for in-ground or above ground use.