Sign in to follow this  
LovelyChaos

Ahhh BABY

Ok, so a couple of months ago I got two female tuxedo platys, found out I couldn't house them with my betta in a 5 gallon, so I gave them to my sister for her 5 gallon. Well, one started looking chubbier and chubbier, and I thought she was probably pregnant from the pet store. Well today I noticed in passing a tiny little piece of poop seeming to swim near her. Looked closer, and that poop was a baby!! So I netted the little guy as quickly as I could (in the nick of time, the other platy charged, this little one can swim fast!!!)

The last time I had baby platies, it was a total fluke that I managed to find them, and this was a long time ago. I don't know how they survived. They were bigger than this one when i found them. What is the best way to care for it? I don't know what to feed it or anything! My first babies ate tiny crushed flakes. I wanna keep it alive! Help meeee!

image_zps2e84a9ec.jpg

And bf agreed to let me get a ten gallon (:

That's cute!!!

Good spotting..... :clapping:

That's cute!!!

Good spotting..... :clapping:

Thanks. My boyfriend was surprised I saw it as quickly as I did, I only noticed in my peripherals before realizing it was a baby!

Very Nice Ms. Chaos!

Congratulations

:)

i just LOVE livebearer babies :) they are the cutest ever!!!!!

i just LOVE livebearer babies :) they are the cutest ever!!!!!

Oh I know! Pip is such an inquisitive little thing. I keep catching him staring at me!

What tiny little things :)

Thanks! I'm going to fish out some wisteria to keep with him. Right now he is in a little Tupperware container cause I don't really have anything else to keep him in at the moment ):

he's so cute!!! :D i wish he had cheeks so i could squish them all night and day :D

image_zps626473c3.jpg

image_zps818d2cd1.jpg

image_zps14eba320.jpg

I got a couple more pictures! He has been named Pip. Short for Pipsqueak.

Pip is so pipen cute. Congrats. PetCo is having the $1.00 per gallon sale right now. Sara Jo let us know this a couple of days ago. The sale might be on still if your looking for your ten gallon still.

:thud. Cuteness!!! He has a lot of color already.

Great catch, LC!! :)

:thud. Cuteness!!! He has a lot of color already.

Great catch, LC!! :)

Thanks! I'm waiting to see if he will be yellow like his mom or red like one of his potential dads!

Awwww

Wait I just forgot my guppy is Prego

* runs to check tank*

ahhhh how did I forget

I bred before too ;). I used crushed flakes and housed them in a ten gallon tank with a heater set to 75-77 and a good sponge filter.

At a certain point, pretty early on, believe you can feed baby bring shrimp. Hikari sells frozen cubes of them here, but not sure about the U.S, There is also a food called "First Bites" , I think also by Hikari, for fish fry. You for sure can get that in the U.S. (I've mail ordered it from someone in the States, maybe Foster and Smith?). I think I have read that you can also feed fry hard boiled egg yolk in very small quantities (so as not to foul the water), but you may want to check on that as I am not sure I remembering correctly. If it is OK, though, you could use that until you can get the First Bites.

He is cute!

Awww! I used crushed flakes with a tad bit of tank water in it. You can store it in a vial.

Congrats on the little one. It's always exciting to find fry in your tank!

You can crush up normal fish flakes very finely, almost to a powder. Start with crushing it with your fingers, then rub the smaller pieces into almost powder-form.

If you want to try something a little more advanced, hard-boil an egg, let it cool, peel it and remove the yolk from the centre.

Crush up a small piece of yolk with some water, to make a murky, yellow-ish liquid. The more watery it is, the easier it will be to feed to your fish without over-feeding.

If you have a syringe, use that to squeeze a little bit of the liquid infront of the fry. It shouldn't have any problems eating it as the particles will be small enough to fit in

it's tiny mouth. I do this for all my new-born fry, and then advance to crushed fish-flakes or baby brine shrimp.

Just be aware that if you do use the egg yolk method, you will have to change some of the water if you're not using a filter, as the water will become contaminated.

Good luck!