My babies had babies!

JamieMonster

Who I *think* the parents are, as these are the fish I would see doing the spawning dance for a couple of days before I saw eggs.

Potential moms are my newest girls, Penelope and Clementine:

Clementine

IMG_20130324_174441_zps26733279.jpg

Penelope

IMG_20130324_174357_zpsc055d1ee.jpg

And, the boys I saw being the most active in the spawning dance with my girls were Mocha, Ralphie, Murray, Jack, and Gordy.

Mocha- the chocolate oranda, with cute little nasal frills:

IMAG0259.jpg

Ralphie, the red and black butterfly tele:

Ralphie2_zps5104a1f0.jpg

Murray, the calico ryukin:

DSCI0158.jpg

Jack, the red oranda ("baby" pic- he has grown A LOT, and has much more flowing fins since this pic):

DSCI0094.jpg

Gordy, the red and white ribbontail (also a baby pic- he isn't much bigger, but his fins are more flowing than in this pic):

DSCI0108.jpg

Might make for some interesting babies, if these are, in fact, the parents! :)

Oooouuuu Congrats of the arrival of babies!!

I was thinking Penelope & Mocha would make some very interesting babies!! As a matter of fact since you have ALL those babies your should send me Penelope & Mocha!! LOL!!

OR butterfly tele/Ryukin babies.....How cool would THAT be really amazing!!

Whatever they are I hope you the best in their health!! Maybe I can get a couple later on!! Years ago I really enjoyed getting some babies from that post "Diary of Raising Fry" by Sorsha. It was so neat knowing their actual age & watching them grow!!

Keep us posted!!

Edited by Jeana727

Very awesome! So a lot of the fry have good chances of being oranda x oranda, maybe some teles or ryukin mixed in. You will definitely be able to tell who is the offspring of the teles :D

I am so looking forward to these updates! :D

Just so you know, as long as temp is matched out of the tap and primed, water changes are great. Just be sure not to dump anything in too fast, as it can create swirly sick babies that don't make it, or bend their backs when they are very young. I know it seems really scary though, so do whatever you're comfortable with of course. For the first week I just add water and then start water changes after that.

All the parents are lovely, I am hoping you get a tele oranda in there somewhere ;)

Oooouuuu Congrats of the arrival of babies!!

I was thinking Penelope & Mocha would make some very interesting babies!! As a matter of fact since you have ALL those babies your should send me Penelope & Mocha!! LOL!!

OR butterfly tele/Ryukin babies.....How cool would THAT be really amazing!!

Whatever they are I hope you the best in their health!! Maybe I can get a couple later on!! Years ago I really enjoyed getting some babies from that post "Diary of Raising Fry" by Sorsha. It was so neat knowing their actual age & watching them grow!!

Keep us posted!!

Hehehe- I am really interested in seeing what they look like, too.

You can absolutely have some after they are a little more grown up! I will definitely keep everyone updated.

The fry tank had its first big cleaning today and a small water change- MAN does that baby fish food stick to the bottom! It isn't exactly spotless, at this point, but also not nasty. I didn't want to go too nuts in there, make too many waves scrubbing, or otherwise cause them harm. They are just so SMALL. I reduced the amount of hornwort, as well. They still have some in there, to pick through for food, reduce the current from the air stone, help with water quality, and for hiding and exploring- there is just more open swimming room now, too.

So far, I have only found 3 casualties. I do have a pair of small snails in there, though, so there may have been a couple more that the snails cleaned up.

My initial estimate of 2 dozen babies in the tank was a bit conservative. I would say I have double that. Crazy baby fishy tank!

BABIES UPDATE!

Here is their video from today. They still don't video incredibly well with my phone cam, and are pretty teeny. No mass die offs as of this point, and still eating well. They've been eating their baby brine shrimp, and had some repashy SG bits dropped in today. I don't know if they have eaten it yet, but the snails will get it, if they don't.

Enjoy the video with a cameo from my 18 y/o calico kitty, Autumn, at the end. :heart

th_VID_20130412_225101_zps0883be91.jpg

Aww super cute Video :)

Thanks guys!

Wow, these guys are getting big FAST. Look at these tiny little tails! :D

I think you can slowly start to raise the water level now that they have grown quite a bit. :)

Okie dokie- I will give them a little more water with tonight's change. How high an it go, now? Yay!

UPDATE: They're up to 6 gallons filled in their 10 gallon tank, and getting bigger every day! A bunch of the little dudes have teeny dorsal fins now... they are growing SUPER fast. I'd estimate about 2 dozen in there, at this time, and they all appear to be doing well- some growing faster than others, but they are all growing. Putting in the sponge filter and taking a new video after tomorrow's tank cleaning and water change.

Now, I just have to figure out what I'm going to do with them all in a couple of mos, if they keep doing as well as they are. EEK! & YAY! Both at the same time. LOL.

They're getting even bigger, and almost look like they are starting to get some colors besides clear with a touch of green along their backs. They all have teeny dorsals, now... and look like their anal fins are starting to come in. It's pretty cool to watch them growing. I think I am going to start training them to hand feed the week after next. Fun times!

Video update soon!

Here's the babies at right around 3 weeks old. They actually look like teeny goldfish, now. I am pretty sure I am going to have a few white fish from these fry, and it is looking like a few calicos, as well. There are a couple who are staying pretty white, but have now started to develop dark, black eyes. Very fun! It is also looking like there are a couple of different body shapes, where some of them are very round and deep in the belly, while others are more long. Not sure if this will change as they get older, or if it is traits from the parent fish popping up, already.

So far, no telescope eyes. When would those start to appear, if they were going to have them?

Enjoy the short video of my little fry at about 3 weeks old. They sure are getting big fast! :heart

th_VID_20130429_000355_zpsabc1d381.jpg