What is this?!?!?

opis_fin

Hi, I was thinking of putting this in the disease diagnosis/treatments section but I wasn't sure.

After cleaning out one of my tanks filters (with some of the tank water) my partner looked into the bucket after emptying the water to find these... there are a few in the picture =S

Can any one please tell me what these are? and what action I need to take?

thing_zpsc3eae280.png

• Supporter

they look like baby earthworms to me. but i could be wrong.

edit: they could also be planaria, they resemble size of planaria, except, i've never seen red planaria before.

Edited by Helen
added planaria suggestion.

It's strange what ever it is :(

No my tank isn't planted but I do have black sand that I put in it a week or so ago.

I do feed bloodworms. These guys though, most seem alive and kicking... they seem to "flick".

I agree with the others, but looking at your picture I'm almost 100% positive they're bloodworms as I have a bunch of them breeding in a spare tank atm. By "flicking," do they swim in a figure 8 almost perhaps?

I'm assuming you feed freeze-dried or frozen bloodworms so there's no way they can just "spring to life." It's either you have midge flies around your house and they laid eggs (at which point I'm sure you would've noticed a gelatinous white blob of them), or they were hitchhiking on something you have recently introduced into the tank - in this case, maybe your sand if it was moist when you got it.

Bloodworms love dirt/mud/decaying matter and you don't seem to have any of that in your tank so they must've come from elsewhere.

Do you find them in your substrate as well?

where did the black sand come from? was it already moist when you added it? could it have been from the garden, or the supplier's pond?

I bought it from an online supplier - its "CaribSea Tahitain Moon Sand" which was commercially bagged up when I received it. I bought it from "The Age of Aquariums - aquariumproducts.com.au"

I agree with the others, but looking at your picture I'm almost 100% positive they're bloodworms as I have a bunch of them breeding in a spare tank atm. By "flicking," do they swim in a figure 8 almost perhaps?

I'm assuming you feed freeze-dried or frozen bloodworms so there's no way they can just "spring to life." It's either you have midge flies around your house and they laid eggs (at which point I'm sure you would've noticed a gelatinous white blob of them), or they were hitchhiking on something you have recently introduced into the tank - in this case, maybe your sand if it was moist when you got it.

Bloodworms love dirt/mud/decaying matter and you don't seem to have any of that in your tank so they must've come from elsewhere.

Wow ok. By flicking I mean like they would sort of "curve" their bodies then kick out straight again?? If that makes any sense.

I don't feed live bloodworm.

Maybe it was from the sand :(

Is there any way to get rid of them? / should I be concerned?

Wow ok. By flicking I mean like they would sort of "curve" their bodies then kick out straight again?? If that makes any sense.

I don't feed live bloodworm.

Maybe it was from the sand :(

Is there any way to get rid of them? / should I be concerned?

Yeah that makes sense haha and it does sound like them. It doesn't make sense to me that they would come from the sand though. The bucket you used to clean the filter, was the water in it left standing outside for a couple of days? Because these things love to breed in stagnant water.

In any case though, bloodworms are harmless until population gets out of hand. Some of my friends have them in tropical betta fish tanks and as bettas are excellent hunters, it wasn't MUCH of a problem.

If you have them in your tank, chances are, they will be in the substrate. The only way to really get rid of them is to siphon the bajizzles out of your substrate. Do it as often as you can, and clean everything. It will be tedious and will take a lot of patience but I'm afraid that's the only way I know. Your fish may get to most of them, but there's no way they'll get all of them. Make sure there is plenty of water movement in the tank and that you keep it that way. My area has a lot of midge flies so I try not to turn the filters/pumps off for more than an hour at most. The last thing you need is stagnant anything.

Good luck!