Sign in to follow this  
finnfinnfriend

Good staple foods for a growing goldfish?

I was wondering if it would be okay to feed my future young goldfish a main staple diet of:

New Life Spectrum goldfish formula; because it has high protein and quality ingredients

And

Repashy soilent green; because it has a bit more veggie ingredients, but also quality sources of protein

And then feed him occasional other things like romaine lettuce, shrimp, etc...

I feed mine New Life Spectrum food. I think it is great food for them.

I feed soilent green and my goldies have grown quite a lot since I started. They love the stuff and it doesn't get them floaty either :) I would suggest feeding frozen bloodworms as a part of your "occasional other things." They go crazy for it and it's a good source of protein too.

I feed mine a combo of soilent green, hikari algae wafers, and Pro gold. :) They get great growth, and are happy. I also unintentionally supplement their diet with large quantities of expensive aquarium plants. :) Variety helps. Lol!

Cool :) I already have bloodworms for my betta, and he could definitely stand to share some ;) and when my goldfish gets bigger, I may start feeding pro gold because I believe the pellets are bigger than NLS. Or I might switch sooner if the NLS doesn't agree with my goldie lol.

My goldies are at most 2 inches without tail and pro gold pellets fit just fine in their mouths ;)

Those are both good foods.

My goldies are at most 2 inches without tail and pro gold pellets fit just fine in their mouths ;)

Oh. Lol. Then I guess that won't be a problem :)

Another question I have is; When my goldie is an adult, will it be okay to mainly feed him just a high quality pellet?

Another question I have is; When my goldie is an adult, will it be okay to mainly feed him just a high quality pellet?

If you're feeding a high quality food, it can be made a staple; however, goldfish do seem to enjoy the variety. Moreover, greens such as kale and spinach are good for digestive issues. If it is feasible, I don't really see any need to alter what you are currently feeding. :)

If you're feeding a high quality food, it can be made a staple; however, goldfish do seem to enjoy the variety. Moreover, greens such as kale and spinach are good for digestive issues. If it is feasible, I don't really see any need to alter what you are currently feeding. :)

Well I would probably continue with the repashy but maybe make it an occasional treat...or just give greens occasionally