First time feeding spinach tomorrow...suggestions?

Mr. Hyde

I will be giving my two fish spinach for the first time tomorrow, and was wondering a thing or two;

1)How much?

2)How to prepare...boiled?

3)Do I not give them any other food that day?

For this last question, keep in mind that they are at my work place and I do not feed them on Sundays as we are closed...kind of a fast for one day...although, as it was Good Friday, we were also closed today...double fast I suppose.

The main reason I was planning on feeding them spinach tomorrow was because for the three months I have had them so far, I just fed them sinking pellets.

As of late, they have been floating/hanging around at the top of the tank (the orange one more then the white one).

I hear spinach is a good way to help them digest.

If I can get some suggestions from the kind folks on here (y'all clearly have more experience then me) I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Hyde.

1. Depending on the size, you could give one leaf to the pair or one leaf each of baby spinach per feeding. Let them graze on it. :)

2. Blanched until soft, so boil for 2-4 minutes or so either in a microwave or a pan on the stove, just until the spinach pulls apart when you twirl it on your fingers but will hold together on a veggie clip.

3. I often have one day a week that I give only vegetables or veggie-based gel foods. This helps quite a bit with the floats. You can choose whether you feed regular food with it, though the regular food sometimes will just undo the effects the spinach will have if fed post-spinach in the same day.

So, I'm not exactly sure how old they are...but I do know they are about two inches in length each.

I'll start with a half leaf each and see how fast they eat it I guess.

Thanks Chelsea :)

I give my guys pellets in the morning, red leaf lettuce(raw) at lunchtime and Repashy or Bloodworms in the evening. The midday lettuce has completely eliminated any floating problems I've had. The reason I like the red leaf lettuce better than spinach is because it is soft raw and doesn't need to be cooked and my guys love it! Cooked vegetables tend to make my water smell :thumbdown

I give my guys pellets in the morning, red leaf lettuce(raw) at lunchtime and Repashy or Bloodworms in the evening. The midday lettuce has completely eliminated any floating problems I've had. The reason I like the red leaf lettuce better than spinach is because it is soft raw and doesn't need to be cooked and my guys love it! Cooked vegetables tend to make my water smell :thumbdown

So, I don't have to cook it AND it's not stinky?

...that sounds pretty good too.

None of these things can actually harm the fish I hope :unsure:

I think you need to blanch spinach and definitely kale. They are pretty tough raw. But raw red leaf lettuce tears apart easily. I noticed a nasty smell when I tried cooked broccoli, kale and spinach in my tanks...so no thanks. But I have had good results with the red leaf lettuce.

I think you need to blanch spinach and definitely kale. They are pretty tough raw. But raw red leaf lettuce tears apart easily. I noticed a nasty smell when I tried cooked broccoli, kale and spinach in my tanks...so no thanks. But I have had good results with the red leaf lettuce.

You folks are a wealth of knowledge.

Thanks.

You folks are a wealth of knowledge.

Thanks.

Sure, hope it helps!

Kale is the ultimate laxative, but also the stinkiest! Not something you want to feed in the store if you have to cook it there. :rofl

I've never had any issues with stinky water due to spinach. :idont

Kale is the ultimate laxative, but also the stinkiest! Not something you want to feed in the store if you have to cook it there. :rofl

I've never had any issues with stinky water due to spinach. :idont

I don't even eat Kale.

I know it's supposed to be good for you, but it doesn't even have an appetizing name.

Out of convenience (since I'm at work), maybe I should go with the red leaf lettuce? :idont

I've never used the lettuce myself, so I can't vouch for or against. It'd be a good first try if only for the convenience, though. :)

I am no fan of greens myself, but my fish love them so they've crept into my home! :rofl

I addicted my comets and commons on Chinese bok choi (上海白菜). I find it amusing that my fish, long time descendents from China love Chinese veggies.

I break off a suitably sized leaf that they can finish it off in a 24 hr period, without the white stalk part, put it into a small bowl of water and nuke it for 1 minute. Just be careful when you take it out of the microwave, as it is quite hot. Then clip it to a clothes clip that has a suction cup. They really like it. After a day only stalk and veins are left which are removed from the water.

The only issue is if I let them graze all day, do I correspondingly cut back on their sinking pellets? I starve them on Wednesday.

The white stalk part they cannot eat gets stir fried with some oil, soy sauce and garlic, and served to our family.

I feed my fish a mixture of greens - spinach, cos lettuce, the red leaf lettuce, peas (cooked in microwave and skin removed) and zuchinni. I usually blanch them in hot water for a minute and then feed bits by hand. I also buy elodea and let them graze on that (I quarantine it outside in a clear tub for a couple of weeks first) I have read elsewhere on a fish site dedicated to answering people's

questions (can post the source if it's allowed, just not sure about referencing other websites on this forum) that goldfish tend to be fed a diet that it too high in protein, with negative health consequences, and that they should be fed mainly vegetables, with a protein source (20%) every second day. I'm not claiming expertise, but thinking about how carp live in the wild, it does make sense to me that most of a goldfish's diet should probably be vegetables. I'm still reading on the topic and experimenting with what I feed my fish but greens are the only things I've tried that don't make them float.

Good luck and have fun experimenting.

Edited by Wen73

Have just being doing some more reading and found an article "Methods for Predicting Food Allowances from Body Length in Tropical and temperate Ornamental Fish Species" (Journal of Nutrition, 2006). According to this, in order to attain a growth rate of ) 0.1% pf body weight, a 35 g oranda would need to consume around 3.5 KJ of metabolizable energy per day. Which would be an awful lot of plant matter. So, despite what I have read in other sources about goldfish needing a mostly vegetarian diet, which I referred to above, it seems that they need far more energy than green vegetables on their own could ever provide.

Have just being doing some more reading and found an article "Methods for Predicting Food Allowances from Body Length in Tropical and temperate Ornamental Fish Species" (Journal of Nutrition, 2006). According to this, in order to attain a growth rate of ) 0.1% pf body weight, a 35 g oranda would need to consume around 3.5 KJ of metabolizable energy per day. Which would be an awful lot of plant matter. So, despite what I have read in other sources about goldfish needing a mostly vegetarian diet, which I referred to above, it seems that they need far more energy than green vegetables on their own could ever provide.

There was a breakdown of the stomach content of feral goldfish, and I believe that 80% of the food that goldfish eat are from algae (60% brown, 20% green) and 15% are from small animals.

There was a breakdown of the stomach content of feral goldfish, and I believe that 80% of the food that goldfish eat are from algae (60% brown, 20% green) and 15% are from small animals.

That's interesting. Anyone know the energy density of algae? I suspect it must be higher than lettuce since algae is high in protein. It makes me wish I could put my fish in a nice green pond and let them largely feed themselves!

That's interesting. Anyone know the energy density of algae? I suspect it must be higher than lettuce since algae is high in protein. It makes me wish I could put my fish in a nice green pond and let them largely feed themselves!

It's much higher than lettuce, that's for sure! :rofl

This is one of the reasons why we are so keen on recommending Repashy Super and Soilent Greens. There is quite a bit of these good things in the food. :)

I addicted my comets and commons on Chinese bok choi (上海白菜). I find it amusing that my fish, long time descendents from China love Chinese veggies.

I break off a suitably sized leaf that they can finish it off in a 24 hr period, without the white stalk part, put it into a small bowl of water and nuke it for 1 minute. Just be careful when you take it out of the microwave, as it is quite hot. Then clip it to a clothes clip that has a suction cup. They really like it. After a day only stalk and veins are left which are removed from the water.

The only issue is if I let them graze all day, do I correspondingly cut back on their sinking pellets? I starve them on Wednesday.

The white stalk part they cannot eat gets stir fried with some oil, soy sauce and garlic, and served to our family.

Awesome!

Thanks for the tips.

I actually gave them each a couple of pellets in the morning and the spinach in the afternoon...they were good about it.

I feed my fish a mixture of greens - spinach, cos lettuce, the red leaf lettuce, peas (cooked in microwave and skin removed) and zuchinni. I usually blanch them in hot water for a minute and then feed bits by hand. I also buy elodea and let them graze on that (I quarantine it outside in a clear tub for a couple of weeks first) I have read elsewhere on a fish site dedicated to answering people's

questions (can post the source if it's allowed, just not sure about referencing other websites on this forum) that goldfish tend to be fed a diet that it too high in protein, with negative health consequences, and that they should be fed mainly vegetables, with a protein source (20%) every second day. I'm not claiming expertise, but thinking about how carp live in the wild, it does make sense to me that most of a goldfish's diet should probably be vegetables. I'm still reading on the topic and experimenting with what I feed my fish but greens are the only things I've tried that don't make them float.

Good luck and have fun experimenting.

Thanks Wen!

What you said makes a lot of sense.

I'll star feeding them the veggies a little more, now that my hesitation/fear is gone.

It's much higher than lettuce, that's for sure! :rofl

This is one of the reasons why we are so keen on recommending Repashy Super and Soilent Greens. There is quite a bit of these good things in the food. :)

What the is Repashy Super?...sounds fancy.