Not sure whats wrong...

* Ammonia Level (tank): .25ppm

* Nitrite Level (tank) 0ppm

* Nitrate level (Tank) 0ppm

* Ammonia Level (Tap): 0ppm

* Nitrite Level (Tap) 0

* Nitrate level (Tap) 0

* Ph Level, (Tank) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6

* Ph Level, (Tap) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Freshwater master test kit Drops

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Generic carbon, Large

* What kind of water additives or conditioners? Tetra AquaSafe, API Ammo Lock

* Water temperature? 72°F/ 22.2°C

* How often do you change the water and how much? New tank

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Today, 75%

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 50gallon/189L

* How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 fancy goldfish, 1 pleco

* What do you feed your fish and how often? Flakes, once a day

* Any new fish added to the tank? Pleco 2 weeks ago

* Any medications added to the tank? Ich attack by Kordon

* List previous issues experienced (dropsy, SBD, etc.) Ich, then into fin rot and ammonia burns

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? yes, ich disappearing, frayed fins getting bad

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Staying at the bottom, fins tucked back

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Salt added to water change, halted ich attack, ammo lock, water conditioner

* You can really help us to identify with the concern more accurately if you post some pictures and a short video.

Upgraded my tank to a 50/189L, switched over rocks and decorations from previous tank to new tank after a light cleaning. then added goldfish. no cycle has occured (amateur move), after a couple days i noticed willi my goldfish was a little distressed and beginning to show signs of ich. started treating for ich, removing biofilter, after a few days ich was getting worse, continued treatment for 1 week noticed ich getting a little better but fins were getting red streaks and starting to rot, some scales were missing. Bought the water test kit and found high levels of ammonia, did a 75% water change today added ammo lock, water conditioner and correct amount of aquarium salt per a professionals suggestion. I put in a new biofilter, I have gotten the ammonia to .25ppm after the water change but im not sure i got it in time, shes still at the bottom fins tucked back not sure how long this will take or if anything i can do to speed this up for her i.e Higher or lower water temp, or buy a product to help kick start the cycle?? I've probably forgotten something, just ask any questions

Could you provide your tap pH, please?

Could you please also say how much salt you added?

Also, if you could clarify: did you throw away all of your old biomedia?

A mod should be here soon to help.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. :( I know this is often a subject of controversy but I've had great success using NutraFin Cycle. It does help kick start the cycle. You might have to do daily water changes for a while though.

Good luck.

Tap pH is around 7.2, i added 8 teaspoons of salt and i still have the old biomedia but its been sitting since i turned the old tank off, not sure if its still usable or if all the good bacteria have been replace with bad

How long has it been sitting, and is it still wet?

about a week, its partially wet.

There's probably not any viable bacteria on it anymore, then. :( May I ask why you didn't transfer it over to the new tank?

May we have a pic or video of the fish?

Is the ich treated, or is it still lingering?

Thanks.

Wasn't thinking, didnt read up on cycling new tanks. i have changed my other tank before with no problem, willi is five years old and hasnt shown any signs of sickness since we got her so i figured putting her in a new tank would be just like her smaller one. Unfortunately shes suffering for it, hopefully it doesnt last long, ill try to get pictures up as soon as my phone is charged up enough

...how do i add pictures??

i dont see much of any ich, tail and fins just look miscolored and white with fray marks

Any chance you could get your hands on some Seachem Prime or Amquel Plus water conditioner? (these can be used to control ammonia while cycling)

I would not use the ammo lock. This can slow your cycling process by making the ammonia unavailable to the biofilter and essentially starving your BBs. One of the water conditioners I listed above are a better choice for controlling ammonia while cycling because they bind ammonia in a form that is not toxic to your fish but can still be used by your beneficial bacteria.

Is there any way you can get us a quick video of him? I would like to see how he is behaving.

The fin rot is pretty extensive. He looks to be bottom sitting with clamped fins in the pictures. How has he been acting? Is he still interested in eating?

Do you still have the smaller tank available? (if so, how big is it?)

at the moment i cant do a video, shes hiding in a corner under some covering and wont really move. just sits in one spot a majority of the day. Swims around a couple times but sporadically over a few hours, still interested in eating. Shes breathing kinda fast. Ive read the seachem is the best . Ive already added the ammo lock into the water, it states that it doesnt remove the ammonia, it converts it to a non toxic form, my water will still test positive but the filer should take care of the ammonia. im doing another water change tomorrow, should i add the seachem instead?

I still have the other tank but it has been cleaned out, Its a 10gallon

at the moment i cant do a video, shes hiding in a corner under some covering and wont really move. just sits in one spot a majority of the day. Swims around a couple times but sporadically over a few hours, still interested in eating. Shes breathing kinda fast. Ive read the seachem is the best . Ive already added the ammo lock into the water, it states that it doesnt remove the ammonia, it converts it to a non toxic form, my water will still test positive but the filer should take care of the ammonia. im doing another water change tomorrow, should i add the seachem instead?

I still have the other tank but it has been cleaned out, Its a 10gallon

yes, I would add the seachem instead if you can get it. Let us know when you have it and we can talk about how to use it when cycling.

I worry she is too bad off to try a salt dip, so lets start by upping the salt in the tank to .3% to help with the fin rot. Please note though that salt and ammonia are a bad combination, so if you salt you will need to keep a close eye on ammonia levels and do extra water changes as necessary.

I asked about the smaller tank because you are going to be using a lot of salt and doing a lot of water changes. This can sometimes be more manageable in a smaller tank. I will leave it up to you though whether to proceed with treatment in the 50 gallon or move her to the 10 gallon.

For salt you can use aquarium salt, but you may want to look into getting salt from the grocery store, as it will be much cheaper than aquarium salt. Any type of salt that doesn't contain any anti caking agents or additives will be fine. Morton's canning and pickling salt is a popular one around here.

You will need to move your pleco to whichever tank you decide not to use, as they are not tolerant of the salt levels we are going to use.

Here is what I would like you to do:

1. Add 1 tsp of salt per gallon now (please take into account the 8 tsp you have already added to the tank if you are going to use the 50 gallon for treatment)

2. in 12 hours, add another 1 tsp per gallon (you will now have 2 tsp per gallon total in the tank)

3. 12 hours after this add another 1 tsp per gallon (you will now have 3 tsp per gallon, which is .3%)

4. Once salt is at .3% I would like you to do a daily water change (keeping water conditions pristine will also assist with the healing process)

- Remember to add back in the amount of salt you take out with each water change. For example, if you are using the 50 gallon and you have 150 tsp of salt in the tank and you do a 50% change, you will add back in 75 tsp. If you do an 80% change you would add back in 120 tsp etc.

When you are able, would you please take a look at her gills and let us know what color they are?

Also, what kind of pleco do you have?

Ill quarantune her in the 10 gallon since it will be easier to monitor because its in my room. Im setting it up now with fresh water and new biofilter, should i add the watr conditioner and salt before or after adding her? Ill be going to the pet store as soon as it opens in the morning for the seachem

Ill quarantune her in the 10 gallon since it will be easier to monitor because its in my room. Im setting it up now with fresh water and new biofilter, should i add the watr conditioner and salt before or after adding her? Ill be going to the pet store as soon as it opens in the morning for the seachem

yes, please add water conditioner and 10 tsp of salt (.1%). Make sure you dissolve the salt completely prior to adding it to the tank.

Also, please keep the tank bare bottom with very little to no decor (if you feel she would be more comfy with a plant you can put something like that in, but no gravel please)

I believe its a hypostomus pleco

I believe its a hypostomus pleco

the issue with plecos is that they are generally considered to not be compatible with goldfish. They have been known to attack goldfish when they are resting (and you aren't looking) by sucking their slime coat which can lead to injury and even death. The two types of plecos that are typically considered ok to keep with goldfish are bristlenose and rubbernose. These two types stay relatively small and tend to be less aggressive/territorial than other types.

I know you just got the pleco, but I would urge you to consider either returning/rehoming him or setting up a separate tropical tank for him.

how's it going? did you manage to set up the qt tank?

any updates?

sorry i havent updated, my internet connection was down for over a week and my phone is horrible. QT tank was set up and successful, the salt helped out a lot although i had a few ammonia spikes and had to do a couple water changes a day to bring them back down, until i bought amquel plus which helped. After a few days of not eating and not moving from the bottom of the tank I hand fed her some medicated fish food (p.i.t.a to find,) to help her combat all the problems she was having and within two days she was swimming around again but fins still clamped. As of today no more red streaks or clamped fins,no signs of ich, goldfish appetite is back and her color is getting better. How long should i continue the salt treatment to be on the safe side?