Walstad shrimp Bowl

that's really pretty! does it have a filter? does it need one?? I don't know too much about shrimp haha, other than that they have a really light bioload.

Thanks. It has no filter. The plants act as a natural filter. You can find lot of info if you Google "Walstad shrimp bowl" you should be able to find a pdf file to tell you his to do it ;) make sure you use tons of plants

I may or may not have set one up over the weekend becuase of this thread

Oooooohhh lemme see!!!!

nothing to see yet its all brown from tannins lol

• 2 weeks later...

Added a few more plants. The hair grass seems to be filling out. I'm very pleased. I've got an airline in to provide a little water movement. Apparently the shrimp won't breed in still water.

2013-04-22092741_zpsa41f6d3c.jpg

2013-04-22092752_zpsa5a45596.jpg

Seem to have adopted some snails. Not sure what they are.

2013-04-22093945_zpsb74d7e1f.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Sent from my GT-S5830i using Tapatalk 2

Cool! Thanks Fang ^_^ There seems to be a few of them in there. They must have come in on a plant. I didn't bleach any because i wanted to preserve any beneficial bacteria on them.

I did have a problem with some sort of fuzz or mold and i nearly tore it down and started again. I was so annoyed. It seems to have found a balance now.

Cool! Thanks Fang ^_^ There seems to be a few of them in there. They must have come in on a plant. I didn't bleach any because i wanted to preserve any beneficial bacteria on them.

I did have a problem with some sort of fuzz or mold and i nearly tore it down and started again. I was so annoyed. It seems to have found a balance now.

It could also be that the snails consumed it. These guys do not harm healthy plants, but will instead eat algae, leftover food and dying plant matter. They MAY become food competition for your shrimp.

You can remove the snails though and keep them in another tank, probably even with goldfish, unless they like to snack on the snails. :)

And yes, the snails likely came with a plant, or rather it was snail eggs than an actual snail. They reproduce quickly if there is plenty of food for them, but if there isn't much, they won't explode in number :)

That's good then. If i get too many i'm sure the goldfish will be more than happy to keep their numbers down ;)

Edited by orandafan1981

You've inspired me to start my own.

I've got soil in and i'm very slowly filling with water. Don't know what plants to have yet.

You want mostly fast growing stem plants, some rosette plants and floaters like duckweed or water lettuce. I made the mistake of adding too few plants to start with. Make sure you put loads in and you should be ok ;)

Also Walstad says you can add shrimp straight away. I would recommend letting the plants settle in for a few weeks and testing your water to make sure its cycled. I nearly killed my shrimp :(

Edited by orandafan1981

You've inspired me to start my own.

I've got soil in and i'm very slowly filling with water. Don't know what plants to have yet.

You want mostly fast growing stem plants, some rosette plants and floaters like duckweed or water lettuce. I made the mistake of adding too few plants to start with. Make sure you put loads in and you should be ok ;)

Also Walstad says you can add shrimp straight away. I would recommend letting the plants settle in for a few weeks and testing your water to make sure its cycled. I nearly killed my shrimp :(

I definitely agree with this. Sometimes plants melt almost all the way before they start to make new leaves, and if you have a huge amount of acclimating plants, it could cause your water to swing.

You want mostly fast growing stem plants, some rosette plants and floaters like duckweed or water lettuce. I made the mistake of adding too few plants to start with. Make sure you put loads in and you should be ok

Also Walstad says you can add shrimp straight away. I would recommend letting the plants settle in for a few weeks and testing your water to make sure its cycled. I nearly killed my shrimp

I definitely agree with this. Sometimes plants melt almost all the way before they start to make new leaves, and if you have a huge amount of acclimating plants, it could cause your water to swing.

Thank you for the advice. Much appreciated. I'll be looking into plants fairly soon.