Sign in to follow this  
Goldfish_Breath

Goldfish Food?

I don't understand why we need to feed other stuff to our goldfish like peas. I mean I know what it does for them. And how helpful it is, but what we buy over the counter is suppose to be completely balance. That should be all they need? :hummm

There is no such thing as a perfectly balanced commercial formula, and that applies for all animals. Diet varies considerable in omnivorous animals. You don't necessarily have to feed your fish anything bar a commercial pellet formula, however where the health of our pets are concerned, why wouldn't you include things such as vegetables, etc to improve their health? :)

Feeding meats such as cooked salmon, blood worms, and brine shrimp, are great sources of protein for goldfish, whereas vegetables are great nutrient-rich sources, that also help keep digestion healthy, and tastes great too!

I agree with Narny105. I also feel that most pellets don't contain enough vegetable content. That being said, you can raise goldfish on pellets alone. I did it when I first starting keeping fish. However, they probably will not develop the size, color, headgrowth, finnage etc. as fish fed a variety of the right foodstuffs. For me, feeding is one of the fun parts of having goldfish and I really enjoy watching them eat from the lettuce clip, worm feeders, etc. But each keeper needs to decide what works for their lifestyle, schedule, interest level and budget. Repashy has some great "veggie-heavy" prepared products that can be paired with a high quality pellet to create a pretty well-balanced diet.

I don't understand why we need to feed other stuff to our goldfish like peas. I mean I know what it does for them. And how helpful it is, but what we buy over the counter is suppose to be completely balance. That should be all they need? :hummm

You don't need to feed anything else, particularly if you get a high-quality food. However, the fish enjoy it and most people enjoy feeding their fish things they like.

Some of the cheap foods may have a good-looking nutritional analysis, but they get this with low-quality ingredients. Look at the ingredient list. Poor quality food has grains/grain products as more than one of the first four ingredients -- sometimes three of the first four ingredients.

This really my first spring/summer with my goldfish pond. Last year I got some goldfish to put in a hugh water troff. This was to keep all the little nasty bugs out that like water. I did throw in fishfood once aday, because I didn't think there would be enough bugs all the time for them to eat. At the end of the summer most of them where still a live. I kind of liked that and the fish themsleves. I ended up with these bricks read somethings on line and put together my pond. I know they should live throw the winter "from what I read" . and they did! :clapping: Now that I have gone all in I want the best for my fish. I want them to be healthy. I believe if they are healthy they are happy. :happydance So help me out please! :help: lol

P.S. I love these pop ups!! :rofl3

What do you want help with? Tell us about your pond.

So how big is your pond? How many fish are in it? How old are they? How warm is the water now? What kind of filtration do you have? Do you have plants in the pond? Is there algae growing?

Yes. Every one of these questions is relevant to how much, how often and what to feed.

I will get back to you on this later...When I was fixing fruit in my kitchen I could tell my filter was making a different sound. I looked out the window and saw nothing. The noice was still there. So I went out side to the filter. The inside part had split open. That was the different noice I was hearing. I will be spending tomarrow trying to fix it. I have such a head ache now.

Besides my Repashy food, and Pro-Gold, and blood worms, I actually don't feed anything else. I just haven't found a need. :)

I know pro-gold is suppose to be perfect, but I have been feeding it to my fish and inhave noticed my Ruskin getting floaty. She can't handle the food so I switched back to my runner up food which is omega 1 sinking pellets. My fish love them and I am glad to say that my Ruskin isn't as floaty anymore either :).

I know pro-gold is suppose to be perfect, but I have been feeding it to my fish and inhave noticed my Ruskin getting floaty. She can't handle the food so I switched back to my runner up food which is omega 1 sinking pellets. My fish love them and I am glad to say that my Ruskin isn't as floaty anymore either :).

Pro-Gold is no more perfect than Repashy, Saki Hakari, Omega, or NLS. The key is to find the one(s) that work for your fish. :)

Pro-Gold is no more perfect than Repashy, Saki Hakari, Omega, or NLS. The key is to find the one(s) that work for your fish. :)

Omega, repashy (when I make it ;)), and bloodworms.

I'm with you guys on the Pellet(of your choice), Repashy and Bloodworms diet. I also give my guys lettuce midday. But that's mainly for my Black Moor who needs the fiber for his digestion. I also switched to plastic plants awhile back after the guys decimated my live plants. So, I give them lettuce to pacify their chewing habits.

With goldfish in an established pond, you can feed them any fish food (or even none) and they will be fine. They nibble on algae all day long, score an occasional worm, bug, or tadpole, and (of course) develop an insatiable appetite for whatever pricey plant to are trying to grow there. Cheap food is fine for some "filler."

Ok shakaho I got your info you wanted on my pond. How big is my pond? It is 9 feet by 8 feet and 19 1/2 inches deep. Water temp is 50 to 60 F. What kind of filtration. A gravel one. The water goes throw about 4 feet of gravel plus the first part goes throw a cotton fibers. No plants yet. It was put up last fall and it was to late to try to get plants going. About mid May I will go for the plants.There is green stuff on the sides and bottom of my pond. Oh yeah. I almost forgot. There is about 100 goldfish in there now and they are about 6 m to 2 years old. BTW I know that is a lot of fish. But I don't know how many will live. Pet store don't always take care of their feeder fish. If I turn out to have to many live I know a pet store way far from me that will take them and sale as pond fish. I also got my filter fix today. It took me about 4 hours, but it should be good for a long time.