75 gallon community tank update. Very pic heavy + a video.

Ok, I tried doing the naturally planted tropical tank thing... and Nergal, the common pleco had other plans. After more than a month of having to replant pretty much the entire tank every other day, as she tore the plants out- it is now artificially planted, with a few real plants and a bunch or floating hornwort. Nergal, apparently, hates real plants.... she thinks the fake ones are just dandy, though.

Here are some pics and a little video for your enjoyment. The video happens to catch Smaug, the red devil crowntail betta, feeling a little sassy, and trying to claim dominion over all of the bloodworms I had added to the tank. Luckily, he's mostly bark and very little bite. He does have a nice display, though. ;)

IMG_20130328_213555_zpsa8543682.jpg

IMG_20130328_213351_zpsa620ae6f.jpg

IMG_20130328_213320_zpsfb43f7d0.jpg

IMG_20130328_213308_zps1a1307c8.jpg

IMG_20130328_213224_zps846ca44a.jpg

IMG_20130328_213142_zpscc4323ab.jpg

IMG_20130328_212929_zps54c56d60.jpg

IMG_20130328_212923_zpse4acd0e0.jpg

IMG_20130328_213612_zps36c94bf9.jpg

IMG_20130328_213427_zpse81840dd.jpg

IMG_20130328_213421_zps3df88699.jpg

IMG_20130328_212905_zpse324d86d.jpg

IMG_20130328_212852_zps10129701.jpg

IMG_20130328_212856_zpsb8109eef.jpg

IMG_20130328_213114_zpsfb7b4a29.jpg

IMG_20130328_213315_zps3169bcc3.jpg

IMG_20130328_213326_zps997949e6.jpg

IMG_20130328_212831_zpsce6e09f6.jpg

IMG_20130328_212756_zps44afadd6.jpg

IMG_20130328_212738_zps3d86a6c2.jpg

IMG_20130328_212735_zps62122f57.jpg

IMG_20130328_212701_zpsf812eacf.jpg

IMG_20130328_212704_zpsea9c2e38.jpg

And, the video:

th_VID_20130328_211216_zpsccd6a2e3.jpg

I'm going to have to grab my tablet to watch the vid. Am I trippin or is there more then one male betta in there?

Just trippin! The only male is Smaug, the red devil crowntail- he has 5 lady friends in there, as well. Maybe you are thinking Layla is a boy- she is the dark blue female half moon, which makes her tail look a little longer than other females. ;)

I'd need a lot more plant cover to attempt 2 male bettas in there, and the best success is if you buy very young brothers, from the same spawning, who have never been separated, and keep them without any females in their tank. It can still go all wrong, even with this method, though.

Hunh....I didn't think you could keep a male in with the ladies except for a brief time to breed them. Now I know I want to do a sorority or would that be harem? :rofl

Hunh....I didn't think you could keep a male in with the ladies except for a brief time to breed them. Now I know I want to do a sorority or would that be harem? :rofl

You can, but sometimes your ladies won't settle down with a male present, and sometimes the male will be way too aggressive to the females. Since my ladies had already lived together for a long time & were totally settled, I added him in to see how it went. So far, so good. He used to have a 10 gallon that he shared with a couple of otos and snails, but it wasn't getting the attention it deserved, so I took it down, and moved everyone over to the 75, which gets cared for well.

They need a lot of cover to live together, though. Right now, he is still chasing them a little bit- which they tolerate. He also goes and flares for/at them- but, that's really just flirting. It really is hit or miss with keeping them together- Just make sure you have a back up plan, and a lot of places to hide. :D

I love it, the angels look great!

And the pleco plus live plants, that's the story of my life :rofl He has stopped uprooting the vals though when they finally properly rooted themselves into the substrate, but he occasionally breaks some leaves off. He says he's a big boy and needs a lot of room :D

What are the little fish that are to the left in the closeup picture of the lyretail? They're kinda cute :)

• Supporter

My jealousy issues don't even know where to begin. I love the bettas, the angelfish and the gourami. Is it just the powder blue gourami, or is there a sunset gourami too? Very lovely, I'm sorry the live plants didn't work out, but its a beautiful tank all the same. :)

Looks great.

Ya a common pleco can make planting hard. But looks like you have a nice crop of floaters so that well help the tank filtration a lot.

I love it, the angels look great!

And the pleco plus live plants, that's the story of my life :rofl He has stopped uprooting the vals though when they finally properly rooted themselves into the substrate, but he occasionally breaks some leaves off. He says he's a big boy and needs a lot of room :D

What are the little fish that are to the left in the closeup picture of the lyretail? They're kinda cute :)

Thanks, Fang! :hug

Yeah, she knocks the plants out of the substrate when she's just swimming around... but she is also extra special in that she likes to root around for food by their bases, and actually digs them out of the substrate. They never even get a chance to root properly, as they don't even stay in the substrate for 24 hours. I guess I could try potting them in bunches... but, I am ok with a few swords, umbrella plants, and jave fern mixed with mostly artificial on the bottom, and the big tangle of hornwort for the bettas and gouramis on the top.

The tetras by the lyretail are pristella tetras. I have 2 golden and 4 "x-ray" color versions. They are the same species, though... the golden are just more of a pale golden/yellow, and the x-ray are a touch darker with a black cast and black eyes. The one in the pic where you see just the tail only is a golden, the other is an x-ray. They are fun little fish! Not nippy, and will even school with the neons that are also in the tank. I like them. Pretty hardy and very low maintenance. :)

Your tank looks great! :)

Thank you!!!! :heart

My jealousy issues don't even know where to begin. I love the bettas, the angelfish and the gourami. Is it just the powder blue gourami, or is there a sunset gourami too? Very lovely, I'm sorry the live plants didn't work out, but its a beautiful tank all the same. :)

Thank you so much! I only have electric blue gouramis in there, right now. I initially had a sunset, as well, but he passed on for no explainable reason a few mos back. He was very pretty, and a bit sassier than the electric blues, who are about as laid back as it gets. :D

Looks great.

Ya a common pleco can make planting hard. But looks like you have a nice crop of floaters so that well help the tank filtration a lot.

Thank you! :D

Yeah, Nergal is a plant destroyer, for sure... I think that is her main goal in life. LOL. I am kind of loving the hornwort! Not as much as my bettas do, but it definitely helps with tank parameters, and the water is sparkling clear since it was added. It definitely goes on my "plants to recommend" list. ;)

Gorgeous fish!!!! Your tank looks GREAT!!!!!

Thank you! :happydance

Love that tank, I am inspired! beautiful fish!

Thanks so much! :hug

Your tank is really beautiful. It's really pleasing to the eye and so much to look at and see. I love how it looks like the sun shining down on your tank. (I know it's your tank lights but it none the less, it reminds me of the sun rays hitting the surface of the ocean) :) I love all of your plants.

Beautiful! :)

Thanks, Alex! :)

Your tank is really beautiful. It's really pleasing to the eye and so much to look at and see. I love how it looks like the sun shining down on your tank. (I know it's your tank lights but it none the less, it reminds me of the sun rays hitting the surface of the ocean) :) I love all of your plants.

Thank you! :hug

The sun ray effect might just be from the light spectrum of bulbs I use, actually... it mimics natural sunlight, and also enhances colors in the tank. ;)

I don't know why I never commented earlier :o

Your tank is gorgeous and I am in love with your angels. Shoukd they go missing...do not look in my tank :P

Sent from my SCH-I535

Hehe- aww, thank you. Well, if they do turn up kidnapped.. and I don't look in your tank for them...at least they'd be in a wonderful home. ;)

What all do you have in your 55 gallon? I'm making my 55 tropical instead of the big one... The goldfish look to happy in there so they took over hahaha

In this tank? It's a 75 gallon.

3 p.scalarae angelfish

4 neon tetras

6 pristella tetras

6 cories

6 bettas (1 m, 5 f)

2 otocinclus catfish (will add 2 more later)

2 lyretail mollies

1 common pleco

wow that's one full tank!! :D I'm excited for mine to get up and running do you think I could still have discus or should I just go with angels?

Edited by Mernany