What am I, and several other questions...

carmen

So I saw this guy for adoption at a local Petco. This guy was left by someone b/c he got too big and he's available for adoption. I don't know any more details on him than that...the people who really know fish work during the day, so I didn't get to talk to them. But 1) what kind of goldfish is he? He's BIG, like body (not counting tail) is 7ish inches long. 2) how big will he potentially get? 3) can you put such a big fish in with little goldfish (the average size you see at petstores) or would there be problems with aggression? I've been wanting to start a tank of goldfish..a 50 gallon where I'd have 2 or 3 goldfish. I wanted one's that get big, and he definatley fits the bill. And he's sooo pretty. But I've never had goldfish, so I don't know if he's a good one to get as a newbie. I know how to cycle a tank, I've had several fish before, as well as a tank of cichlids right now. So I have experience with fish, but not goldfish. Thanks for any help you can give!!

2013-03-28_20-06-14_404_zps457475f0.jpg

Edited by carmen

This big lad is a comet - he's what those little minisubs will become when they grow up!

Sounds like you've got the right tank in mind for these fish, as single-tailed goldfish like a bit more room to move than double-tailed fancies.

As for aggression, it can happen, especially if the big one is a male. How's he behaving with the little ones around him?

~Bruce

He was doing fine for the time I was watching, just kinda slowly swimming around. He's not in a very big tank. And shoot I don't know about the tail:( It was very "flowy" if that helps at all. Sorry i told you I don't know anything about goldfish :D If he is a comet, I read they can get up to 12 inches! Would a 50 gallon be suitable for the long term at that size, with at least one other fish? It'd be doubtful I could upgrade beyond that size tank. Oh and I don't know what sex the fish is, again there was no one there who knew anything about him.

Well I called today and the person on the phone said he was a fantail..but googling them says they rarely grow bigger than 6 inches..this fish was at least that size. And the guy on the phone said they get 12-14" long..is that right? I still haven't spoken to the guysI know who work there and are very knowledgeable..so I'm taking all this with a grain of salt. I couldn't adopt him right away anyway..but I'm not sure if I'm getting correct information.

That's why I wondered if it was a double tail or single tail. If it is a double tail, then it's a fantail. And, yes, they can certainly get that big. We have a couple of members with very large fantails . . . They are very hardy fish. :D

So could you have two adult fantails in a 50 gallon tank? Or an adult fantail with another kind of goldfish? I just don't want to keep him alone. Or do goldfish really care?

So could you have two adult fantails in a 50 gallon tank? Or an adult fantail with another kind of goldfish? I just don't want to keep him alone. Or do goldfish really care?

I think 2 in a 50 gallon would be fine. Given his size already I wouldn't go more more than two though personally :)

Goldfish do not require a companion, but many people report that their fish are more active and seem to enjoy having a companion. But there are many goldfish that have lived as solitary fish and done just fine. Here's a recent discussion on this ;)http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/108564-do-goldfish-really-need-a-companion/

WoW!! He (or she) is beautiful!! Will they hold him for you til you are ready? I hope so! Sounds like you will take very good care of him...since you are already studying up & all!!

I agree seems like a 50 would be perfect for "him" & a friend to coexist....though living alone in the tank would be just fine...but if you have room for one more & see one you'd like...why not? !!

Best of luck! Hope you get him...I'd love to see LOADS of pics of this guy in your tank!!

Well I'm not 100%on sure on him yet so I'm not quite ready to take the plunge. We're out of town this weekend anyway. He is a.beautiful fish though. Nothing like a rescue to pull at my heart!