dirted mason jars

Evening

I bought a couple of large amazon swords today to see if the pigs would eat it, along with some extra gravel and a sack of organic choice potting soil. I filled the mason jars up and then tamped the dirt down, added some gravel, then the swords, and filled in gravel around them until they stood up straight, then plopped each jar in the tanks, one for the tropical and one for the goldfish.

Hopefully this will work out for me, but I've never done dirted anything before. Any major pitfalls I should watch out for?

Probably not--I'm sure you'll be fine. You may have to repot them as they grow, but that'd be the only thing I could think of.

I usually like to let the soil sit wet (like mud pie wet) for a few days before potting, but it shouldn't be too big of a deal tossing it in dry. I've done that, too, if I'm impatient. If it's already wet, the air bubbles escape, and you won't have so much settling, with the soil belching up and out from the rocks. Dry, you want to put in about 1.5-2 inches of soil, to get one inch of settled, saturated soil. Not a big deal--the filters will catch any soil that is released during settling.

If you have a lot of soil in the tank, maybe watch for a little ammonia spike, as the soil itself goes through it's cycle from dry to saturated. I only really saw a difference when I put the soil in dry, and dirted a whole tank that way. The tank was already cycled, and mature, so my numbers never got over .25. Like I said, no big deal. :)

Soil is great. I promise you, once you get used to it, you can't grow plants any other way. :)

Here's a pic of my sword bowl, just to show you. I went a little shallow on the soil, but I'd never used a real bowl before, so I didn't want to have too much dirt in there, in case it didn't work out. Goldfish are tough little buggers, aren't they?

100_5277_zps2918c53d.jpg

Don't forget to post pictures!!

Edited by yafashelli

My soil came already pretty wet, not quite "Mud pie" wet but moist enough to clump when squeezed. Not tooo many bubbles either. I'll try and change the water soon to make sure the ammonia doesn't spike too high.

My soil came already pretty wet, not quite "Mud pie" wet but moist enough to clump when squeezed. Not tooo many bubbles either. I'll try and change the water soon to make sure the ammonia doesn't spike too high.

With just the one jar, I wouldn't worry about it. I wanna see pics though! :) I love the look of masen jars, and I might go grab one and give it a go.

Haha, I'll try and grab a camera.

Coincidentally I keep hearing the line from Pirates of the Carribean.

"I got a Jar o' Diiirt! And Guess what's insiiide it!"

I fell asleep watching that movie just last night. Lol!

I have pots in my tank with my plants. I planted them and just put them in. No problems and with the larger tank and better light they all seem to be doing great.

I want to see pictures too. lol

I have pots in my tank with my plants. I planted them and just put them in. No problems and with the larger tank and better light they all seem to be doing great.

I want to see pictures too. lol

I hated using plant pots because of the hole in the bottom. How did you get around that? When the tank would fill up with water, the mud would rise with the water level. I tried plugging the holes with cd case and silicone, but never got that perfect seal. That's why I'm using the glass bowls now.

The one pot that has the hole in the bottom I just put some rocks in before I put in my dirt. Never had a problem with it. The other pot did not have a hole.

The one pot that has the hole in the bottom I just put some rocks in before I put in my dirt. Never had a problem with it. The other pot did not have a hole.

You're lucky then. I bought TONS of pots last year, when walmart put them on clearance, and then when it came time to plant the tank, the mud kept going up, rocks or not. Lol! What a mess. I think the glass is kinda cool, though. You can see the roots as they grow towards the edge of the bowl.

Both plants have thrown up entire new leaves within two days of me getting them. I think I'm becoming a believer.

Dirt is the best, man! I know I'll never grow another root feeder without it. Enjoy, and don't forget to take PICTURES!

Update: It turns out the pigs will, in fact, eat Amazon swords. They will in fact uproot them from their jar and get dirt everywhere, eat half the leaves, then poop a mile of green.

Edited by Evening

Update: It turns out the pigs will, in fact, eat Amazon swords. They will in fact uproot them from their jar and get dirt everywhere, eat half the leaves, then poop a mile of green.

Lol! This is absolutely true. To keep the plants in the jar, over your regular aquarium gravel, stick larger river rocks. They should help weigh the plant down a bit, so they can't get it up. Reason # 56783223432 why I bought a tree sized sword, this time around. Lol!

These guys are so hard on plants...