Mandie's Extremely Confusing New Tank/Quarantine Thread! (You've been warned!)

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi :)

So i came home today (I was gone for 2 days), to this big gross pile of poop, and i just wanted to make sure this looked normal? He's been doing some weird stuff lately (surface gulping, yawning...but he''s always opened his mouth a lot), hopefully just because of the prazi, and i just wanted to make sure you guys thing everything is okay...sorry for the gross picture...be warned!

IMG_0016_zpsef02f17c.jpg

he must be eating the plants or something because the last time i fed spinach was like a week ago!

(there's a little sand on the bottom because he takes it out of the plant pots)

Edited by pandamanda111

The poop looks normal to me to, but it's a bit surprising. He shouldn't have been fed for a couple of days before shipping until now, so where did this poop come from?

The poop looks normal to me to, but it's a bit surprising. He shouldn't have been fed for a couple of days before shipping until now, so where did this poop come from?

oh! sorry, this is norton, I haven't gotten the new guy yet, not until tomorrow!

I just wanted to say Congratulations on your new tank. Very nice. Norton is adorable and looks great in his new big tank. How exciting for you to be getting a new goldfish for you and Norton. Can't wait to see your new fish. :)

The new guy is here!!

He has a lot of redness in his tail, will the salt and prazi take care of that?

YAYAYAY congrats!

The redness is probably just due to stress of shipping. It might be good to post some pictures once he is settled in.

Mandie, the mod team has had some discussions regarding best QT procedures recently. And came to the conclusion that it is best with new fish from online sellers like RG and DO to follow their suggested QT procedure in order to avoid voiding any warranty, which also means not necessarily treating with prazi right away. I don't mean to confuse you regarding the plan that we had already come up with, but lets just start with salt for now and go from there ok?

I recently wrote an article about QT based on what the mod team discussed if you'd like to take a look http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/108965-goldfish-quarantine-procedure/

and as I am posting it I see you already saw it :P

So, what I am suggesting for right now, is lets just do salt and water changes. I would love if you could do daily water changes, but I know that may not be possible with your schedule, so just do as often a water change as you are able. Perhaps you could do a daily change on the weekend and every other to every 2 days during the week? something like that?

Then after a week or so, lets talk about prazi ;)

that's sounds good! thanks! I'm going I lost a picture thread in just a minute :) he is super cute and chunky!

edit- I already put the seeded filter on the tank :o is that ok??

Edited by pandamanda111

that's sounds good! thanks! I'm going I lost a picture thread in just a minute he is super cute and chunky!

edit- I already put the seeded filter on the tank is that ok??

To post***

That's fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can I give him a small piece of spinach today or wait until tomorrow?

Lets wait until tomorrow to offer food ;)

And yes, you can add .1% salt now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just put in the salt, and Wallace is going crazy, he's swimming super fast and weirdly!

I've covered the tank with towels...

He's so stressed out is there anything else I could do?

Just keep the tank lights off for now (and towels are good too).

Edie and Puff were super spazzy for the first few months. They would freak out (ram themselves into a corner trying to get out of the tank) when I so much as looked at them. They hated the camera, and they ran and hid when I turned lights on. Some of my first posts were about my fish freaking out when I turned the lights on (and this was 2 weeks after I got them)

I think because RG fish come from a pond environment, some take a little longer to acclimate to a tank environment :idont I wouldn't worry too much at this point. Give him a few days to get settled :)