Mandie's Extremely Confusing New Tank/Quarantine Thread! (You've been warned!)

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mandie, if you already have the second filter go ahead and set it up on the new tank, but what I would do is move the new biomedia balls to the cycled filter and the cycled media balls to the new filter to help it establish faster :) then when your new fish comes, just grab the new filter and put it in the qt tank - it should be cycled and ready to go at that point

thanks so much guys!

yes, last night I thought I remembered somebody saying something about rinsing the media when that happens, so I turned both filters off, and squeezed the old filter sponge's grossness all over the new one to help it along, and moved the ceramic media as well :) hopefully that should do the trick for cycling! the basket stopped floating after that :)

thanks so much for your help :)

Edited by pandamanda111

Please read the Raingarden article on quarantining your new fish.

It is here.

You might note that he wants the quarantine tank sterilized and using no cycled or seeded filter. Any parasites or pathogens your fish may be carrying will be in the filter as well as the tank. So he wants you to either fishlessly cycle a new or sterilized filter or just use water changes to maintain water quality.

You also note the final statement:

I have to say that many customers do not do any of this stuff. Upon arrival, they just put their new fish straight into a tank or pond with their old fish. It usually works fine, but you do so at your own risk. Proper quarantine will substantially reduce the likelihood that something unpleasant happens.

Please read the Raingarden article on quarantining your new fish.

It is here.

You might note that he wants the quarantine tank sterilized and using no cycled or seeded filter. Any parasites or pathogens your fish may be carrying will be in the filter as well as the tank. So he wants you to either fishlessly cycle a new or sterilized filter or just use water changes to maintain water quality.

You also note the final statement:

I have to say that many customers do not do any of this stuff. Upon arrival, they just put their new fish straight into a tank or pond with their old fish. It usually works fine, but you do so at your own risk. Proper quarantine will substantially reduce the likelihood that something unpleasant happens.

hmm...i thought people use seeded filters for quarantining? besides won't the prazi kill every possible parasite if there are any?

Edited by pandamanda111

now i'm confused! i already seeded my filter! what should i do?

i used vinegar to clean out the tank.

I use seeded filters on my QT tank. I would not seed a QT filter from a tank where there is illness, but it sounds like Norton has been generally healthy and possible flukes is the only concern with him. Plus you will be treating the tank with prazi before the new fish arrives and treating the new fish with prazi. I personally wouldn't be concerned about seeding your QT filter from your current tank.

You can certainly do a QT without a seeded filter, but this means daily water changes, which I think you are probably not up for. And I don't think cycling a QT filter is really realistic in most cases.

now i'm confused! i already seeded my filter! what should i do?

i used vinegar to clean out the tank.

I use seeded filters on my QT tank. I would not seed a QT filter from a tank where there is illness, but it sounds like Norton has been generally healthy and possible flukes is the only concern with him. Plus you will be treating the tank with prazi before the new fish arrives and treating the new fish with prazi. I personally wouldn't be concerned about seeding your QT filter from your current tank.

You can certainly do a QT without a seeded filter, but this means daily water changes, which I think you are probably not up for. And I don't think cycling a QT filter is really realistic in most cases.

okay perfect thank you :)

Hello :) another question! (Shocking, I know)

Would it be bad to do a couple extra rounds of prazi on norton? Like 8 instead of 6? Because I started him on it yesterday, thinking I would be getting my new RG guy on Thursday, but turns out that we might not be getting him until next Thursday because we will not be home this Thursday due to a family thingy (We have emailed Steve that we want him, but told him Not to ship him just yet). I would like to do the last couple prazi rounds with both fish together in the 45, which means extra prazi for norton. Is this making sense?

Thanks