Mandie's Extremely Confusing New Tank/Quarantine Thread! (You've been warned!)

Hey guys!

I promise to try to not drive everyone crazy with questions, as we all know i am capable of doing ;)

So I just bought a 45 gallon tank! Like 10 minutes ago! ;)

Anyways, as you may know, i want to get an RG goldfish. I currently have one oranda, norton, in a 25 gallon tank.

Here are my questions (again, im sorry!)

-Who should I qt in the 25, and who in the 45? or should i qt them together? (I want to re-prazi norton)

-2 is probably a good limit for a 45g...correct? if not id prefer to get more now, because we will be getting rid of the 25 after qt. i'll probably just get 1 more, because i know it's better...but if i could get 2 that would be so cool!

-How long do i need to qt?

-I just got a new filter...how long will it take to seed it? and how do i do it without messing up my cycle? this is why i wish i could qt them together, that way if the new one isnt fully cycled it isnt that big of a problem.

-When can i get my new fish?

thanks sooo much :)

-Mandieeeeee

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have three fish in a tank that holds just about 45 gallons, and sometimes it's pretty rough going. I'd stick to two fish, and let them grow very very big. It's easier on tank maintenance, you, and on the fish, too. :)

I have three fish in a tank that holds just about 45 gallons, and sometimes it's pretty rough going. I'd stick to two fish, and let them grow very very big. It's easier on tank maintenance, you, and on the fish, too. :)

excellent point. thanks yafashelli :)

My opinions/answers to your questions in bold below :) Congrats on the new tank!!

Hey guys!

I promise to try to not drive everyone crazy with questions, as we all know i am capable of doing ;)

Anyways, as you may know, i want to get an RG goldfish. I currently have one oranda, norton, in a 25 gallon tank.

-Who should I qt in the 25, and who in the 45? or should i qt them together? (I want to re-prazi norton) Because you have had Norton for quite awhile and he is an established fish, I would personally QT them separately. I would personally use the 45 gallon for Norton because, despite concerns of flukes, you know that he is generally healthy, the RG fish you don't really know what it will come with (hopefully nothing :P ), so I would prefer to have him in the 'QT' tank as opposed to the main tank just in case there are any serious problems. I would then QT the RG fish in the 25 gallon separately. Although, one thing you may want to do is do 4 rounds of prazi for the RG fish and if she looks generally healthy, add her to Norton's tank for the last 2 rounds of prazi.

-2 is probably a good limit for a 45g...correct? if not id prefer to get more now, because we will be getting rid of the 25 after qt. i'll probably just get 1 more, because i know it's better...but if i could get 2 that would be so cool! I think 2 is really the limit for the 45 unless you are looking to upgrade again in the near future.

-How long do i need to qt? 1 month at minimum.

-I just got a new filter...how long will it take to seed it? and how do i do it without messing up my cycle? this is why i wish i could qt them together, that way if the new one isnt fully cycled it isnt that big of a problem. It should be pretty instant. You can run the new filter on the tank now until you get your new fish. You could also add a bag of biomedia to the established filter now, then when you set up the QT filter, just add the bag of biomedia to the filter and you should have a cycled tank. Just test the water regularly to make sure.

Any time! :D

-Mandieeeeee

Oh, and congratulations on your new tank! Do you have a design plan? Substrates? Plants?

Pics when you have everything worked out!!!!

thank you! i have no clue...if anyone has ideas that would be great ;)

My opinions/answers to your questions in bold below :) Congrats on the new tank!!

Hey guys!

-Who should I qt in the 25, and who in the 45? or should i qt them together? (I want to re-prazi norton) Because you have had Norton for quite awhile and he is an established fish, I would personally QT them separately. I would personally use the 45 gallon for Norton because, despite concerns of flukes, you know that he is generally healthy, the RG fish you don't really know what it will come with (hopefully nothing :P ), so I would prefer to have him in the 'QT' tank as opposed to the main tank just in case there are any serious problems. I would then QT the RG fish in the 25 gallon separately. Although, one thing you may want to do is do 4 rounds of prazi for the RG fish and if she looks generally healthy, add her to Norton's tank for the last 2 rounds of prazi

i'm so sorry i know ive asked you this 70 bajillion times but could you please post a prazi schedule for me?

-2 is probably a good limit for a 45g...correct? if not id prefer to get more now, because we will be getting rid of the 25 after qt. i'll probably just get 1 more, because i know it's better...but if i could get 2 that would be so cool! I think 2 is really the limit for the 45 unless you are looking to upgrade again in the near future.

-How long do i need to qt? 1 month at minimum. even if both seem perfectly fine? how long is each round of prazi?

-I just got a new filter...how long will it take to seed it? and how do i do it without messing up my cycle? this is why i wish i could qt them together, that way if the new one isnt fully cycled it isnt that big of a problem. It should be pretty instant. You can run the new filter on the tank now until you get your new fish. You could also add a bag of biomedia to the established filter now, then when you set up the QT filter, just add the bag of biomedia to the filter and you should have a cycled tank. Just test the water regularly to make sure.

Any time! :D

-Mandieeeeee

thanks so much jess :)

Issues can take awhile to show themselves, which is why a month is the minimum recommended QT time :idont For me, it's a better safe than sorry sort of thing ;)

Here is an awesome thread Alex made with the prazi schedules (I am personally partial to the 5 day schedule)

If there are no obvious signs of flukes when you get the new fish I would first do a week at just .3% salt, then take the salt down to .1% and start prazi :_

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/105076-schedules-for-the-treatment-of-flukes-etc-using-praziquantel/

I'm gonna rock the boat and say that I personally think you can comfortably house 3 in a 45 gallon. I've had 3 fully grown ranchus in a 46 bowfront for a very long time with absolutely no water quality problems or illnesses. They're very happy and healthy. But I subscribe to the 20-for-the-first/10-to-15-for-each-additional school of goldfish keeping for the most part. That's just how I roll. :)

I'm gonna rock the boat and say that I personally think you can comfortably house 3 in a 45 gallon. I've had 3 fully grown ranchus in a 46 bowfront for a very long time with absolutely no water quality problems or illnesses. They're very happy and healthy. But I subscribe to the 20-for-the-first/10-to-15-for-each-additional school of goldfish keeping for the most part. That's just how I roll. :)

I wish that could have worked for me, as that was the stocking guideline when I joined the forum last year. I know I'll need a bigger tank soon, so I can slow down on the water changes.

Add your fish one at a time, girl, and add them very slowly. Let your test kit be your guide. These aren't short lived fish, so if you add one too many, and don't have the heart to rehome them (like me), you'll be stuck slaving for a very, very long time.

Tank pictures! :D

There's nothing in it!

One more question...can I use the same water changer for both tanks during qt? I only have 1

It's too risky because anything that the qt fish has (and vice versa), will be in, around, and on the water changer. Get a cheapy one from walmart for the QT...Better safe than sorry!

Ooh! I remember my question!

So I shouldn't move norton until I get the new fish, because I can't leave the 25 without a filter...correct? I want to move him tonight, but I'm not sure what to do about having two tanks and only one cycled filter? I realize that during qt I will have 1 filter on the 45, but with only one fish that should be fine, right?

Tank pictures! :D

There's nothing in it!

One more question...can I use the same water changer for both tanks during qt? I only have 1

It's too risky because anything that the qt fish has (and vice versa), will be in, around, and on the water changer. Get a cheapy one from walmart for the QT...Better safe than sorry!

Hmm...okay that makes sense. What if I wash it in between? (Sorry I'm not trying to be a pain)

So I shouldn't move norton until I get the new fish, because I can't leave the 25 without a filter...correct? I want to move him tonight, but I'm not sure what to do about having two tanks and only one cycled filter? I realize that during qt I will have 1 filter on the 45, but with only one fish that should be fine, right?

You can move Norton now, just move the cycled filter to the new tank. You can break down the 25 gallon completely until the new fish comes.

1 filter will be fine on the 45 gallon for the QT period since it will just be norton :)

When are you getting the second filter? Are you getting another Aqua clear?

Separate water changers really are important. Otherwise, there's really not a reason to QT a new fish separately, as using a single water changing hose totally cross-contaminates. When I kept 2 tanks, I had 3 water changers: 1 for each tank, and one for QT.

Separate water changers really are important. Otherwise, there's really not a reason to QT a new fish separately, as using a single water changing hose totally cross-contaminates. When I kept 2 tanks, I had 3 water changers: 1 for each tank, and one for QT.

Not necessarily. Water changes can be disinfected just like QT equipment, and a simple thing such as running hot water through it for 5 minutes does the job. You can even have a stock bucket of PP to put the vacuum head in after a water change, and just run the hot water through the hosing. This is what I have done throughout keeping fish, and one of mine did seem to have a pretty contagious infection when I first got him :)

It's never a bad idea to have two, anyway, if you can get one easily. Not only gives you one specific for QT, but also gives you one you can disinfect and use as a backup, if one were to break :)

But yes, it's not a good idea to be using the same water changer on separate tanks ,without disinfecting them prior to use on the other tank/s

Edited by Narny105

You can move Norton now, just move the cycled filter to the new tank. You can break down the 25 gallon completely until the new fish comes.

1 filter will be fine on the 45 gallon for the QT period since it will just be norton :)

When are you getting the second filter? Are you getting another Aqua clear?

woo! filling up the 45!

Perfect thanks!

I actually already bought the second one (yep, love my aquaclear!) today! :)

thanks jess! i really appreciate your help

Edited by pandamanda111

Not necessarily. Water changes can be disinfected just like QT equipment, and a simple thing such as running hot water through it for 5 minutes does the job. You can even have a stock bucket of PP to put the vacuum head in after a water change, and just run the hot water through the hosing. This is what I have done throughout keeping fish, and one of mine did seem to have a pretty contagious infection when I first got him :)

It's never a bad idea to have two, anyway, if you can get one easily. Not only gives you one specific for QT, but also gives you one you can disinfect and use as a backup, if one were to break :)

But yes, it's not a good idea to be using the same water changer on separate tanks ,without disinfecting them prior to use on the other tank/s

okay thanks Alex <3

I'm sure everybody will hate me for doing this, but i've already spent a ton of my money on the tank, filter, and water changer extension and such, so im trying to keep the cost down as much as possible for now.