• * Ph Level, (Tank) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.4
  • * Ph Level, (Tap) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 6.0
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drop test kit
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? aquaclear 50 and 20
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Stress Coat
  • * Water temperature? 78F
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? 40-60% twice a week

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 60% yesterday
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 29 gal running for 2 months
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 three inch fish
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? omega one once a day and peas 3 times a week
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? no
  • * Any medications added to the tank? salt
  • * List previous issues experienced (dropsy, SBD, etc.)
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? "grains of salt"
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? not moving much
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. started salt treatment for ich yesterday
  • * You can really help us to identify with the concern more accurately if you post some pictures and a short video.

Yesterday I did a 60% water change and added 29 teaspoons of salt to start treating ich which I recently found on one of my fish. Today (20 hours later) I added another 29 teaspoons to get the salt to 0.2% and about 15 mins after adding it both my fish stopped moving around. One is bottom sitting or a couple minutes and then moves around a bit, and then bottom sits. The other one if just floating there. They both still come up to the glass when I go by though. Is this normal or should I do a water change?

Certainly, some fish can be more sensitive to salt than others. But if what is in the video is representative of what you are concerned about, I wouldn't worry too much. They look a bit bummed out, but nothing more than I would expect for fish that are battling parasites.

How bad is the ich? Any chance you could get a couple close up pictures of the spots?

EDIT: are these fish new? how long have you had them? are they still eating readily?

Certainly, some fish can be more sensitive to salt than others. But if what is in the video is representative of what you are concerned about, I wouldn't worry too much. They look a bit bummed out, but nothing more than I would expect for fish that are battling parasites.

How bad is the ich? Any chance you could get a couple close up pictures of the spots?

EDIT: are these fish new? how long have you had them? are they still eating readily?

They were completely fine and active right up until I added in the 2nd does of salt. They've been eating perfectly fine. The ich isn't too bad yet, its only on one fish and its a few spots on her side and tail. I've had them for a month. Should I change out a bit of water?

http://s1325.photobucket.com/user/mang0peach/media/DSC02779_zps1cfc4a15.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0 this picture was taken on saturday so she has a couple more spots now

They were completely fine and active right up until I added in the 2nd does of salt. They've been eating perfectly fine. The ich isn't too bad yet, its only on one fish and its a few spots on her side and tail. I've had them for a month. Should I change out a bit of water?

http://s1325.photobu...html?sort=3&o=0 this picture was taken on saturday so she has a couple more spots now

where are the spots? In the picture, the only white spots I am seeing are on the wen, and those appear to be normal wen growth as opposed to ich. Are there any white spots on the fins/body?

http://s1325.photobu...html?sort=3&o=0 this picture was taken on saturday so she has a couple more spots now

where are the spots? In the picture, the only white spots I am seeing are on the wen, and those appear to be normal wen growth as opposed to ich. Are there any white spots on the fins/body?

sorry its hard to see in the picture. There's a spot in the middle of her body in the orange part and one near her tail and then there are a couple on her tail fins. You have to look really closely.

sorry its hard to see in the picture. There's a spot in the middle of her body in the orange part and one near her tail and then there are a couple on her tail fins. You have to look really closely.

okay ;)

I don't see any harm in doing a water change if you are worried :)

You can actually go ahead and keep salt at .2% (and not up it to .3%) for now. Keep an eye on the spots. If they are getting better and not worse, you may be able to keep it at .2% for the duration of treatment.

Go ahead and do the water change and keep us updated on their behavior :)

http://s1325.photobu...f914b9.jpg.html here's a picture I took just now. You can see the spots on her tail.

thanks :) I do see the spots in that pic. However, they are looking more like bacterial spots or a little excess slime coat to me rather than ich spots. Salt is still a fine treatment approach though.

Have you ever treated for flukes? This is another thing you may want to consider doing if you haven't yet. You can get prazi pro in canada from mops.ca http://www.aquariums...ons-p-1482.html

Yeah I do have some prazi pro that I just got a couple days ago. So if its not ich should I turn the temperature back down or will it help with bacterial spots as well? I also checked her over this morning and noticed the spots on her side are gone. Also, will a little less than 0.2% salt work? I did a small water change last night and they're looking a bit more active today.

Yeah I do have some prazi pro that I just got a couple days ago. So if its not ich should I turn the temperature back down or will it help with bacterial spots as well? I also checked her over this morning and noticed the spots on her side are gone. Also, will a little less than 0.2% salt work? I did a small water change last night and they're looking a bit more active today.

Yeah, you can bring the temp down to whatever the normal tank temperature is :)

You can also bring salt down to .1% and start prazi. Go ahead and follow the 5 day protocol described in this link http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/105076-schedules-for-the-treatment-of-flukes-etc-using-praziquantel/

If you have any questions please let us know, and please keep us updated on how they are doing :)

I wanted to check in quickly about your pH as well.

Are you using a buffer to bring the tap pH up or is it rising naturally?

Because you have such a dramatic difference between tap and tank pH you need to be careful about changing too much water at once (unless of course you are aging the water prior to doing a water change). There should not be more than a .5ppm change in pH when you are doing water changes, so you should unfortunately not be doing more than a 35% water change at a time. This means that more frequent smaller water changes are going to be better in this particular situation. The drop in pH caused by a large water change can be very stressful for your fish and lead to a host of symptoms including bottom sitting and excess slime coat production.

Okay, I will start treating prazi. So you're pretty positive my fish doesn't have ich? And I use baking soda to bring the ph up before putting it in the tank. I also add in the new water slowly if that helps at all.

Okay, I will start treating prazi. So you're pretty positive my fish doesn't have ich? And I use baking soda to bring the ph up before putting it in the tank. I also add in the new water slowly if that helps at all.

The spots that I can see in the picture you posted are definitely not ich, And Alex's confirmation of this makes me even more positive ;)

But certainly if anything changes (e.g. an increase in spots) let us know.