Sign in to follow this  
Shenlon

Changing Food

When I started keeping goldfish I fed my babies Pro Gold. I then noticed some floaty problems with one of my fish , so I changed foods to Omega One. They all have done great on Omega One , but I have not noticed any growth or really anything to enhance them.

I am going to be switching their diet again to Hikari Purple Bag , I have heard great things about it. I also want to start giving them blood worms.

My question in all this is should I gradually switch from Omega One to Hikari or can it be a sudden swap ? I don't want to mess up their tummies.

With the first food switch I just swapped but I am not sure that was the best and I wanted to ask before I do it this time.

It can be a sudden swap. :)

Thank you =) Hopefully they will do well on the Hikari.

Mine go nuts over any Hikari foods. They were bred from a Japanese breeder and shipped to my LFS. I guess they have been fed the same stuff too :D

I feed my guys all kinds of different things. Variety is the spice of life. :)

I'd maybe try not to add to many different foods at once. If someone reacts badly to something, you'll want to know which something it was that did it, you know? So try to only have one variable at a time, until you're sure it's good for them. Just my opinion, anyway.

I would try adding the blood worms first before switching dry foods. Especially if they are tolerating the Omega One so well. If you do switch to Hikari, try alternating it with the Omega One at first and observe how they do on the days you give the Hikari versus the Omega One days. I have had good growth with Hikari Lionhead and New Life Spectrum. I also feed blood worms, lettuce and Repashy Solient Green.

My fish LOVE Hikari, especially the frozen bloodworms and the Saki-Hikari sinking pellets. They also go nuts for Repashy Soilent Green...thus far, I have not had any floaty problems and they all seem to be going through growth spurts :)

I don't know the size of your fish, but one of my favorite parts about the Saki Hikari pellets are that they're small. I had been feeding Tetra Fin sinking sticks, but those were a bit big for my little guys and they seemed to make my GF constipated very easily. None have been constipated on the Saki Hikari thus far (have been feeding it for about 3 weeks now).

Thank you all so much for all the input. I will keep a close eye and see how they do Hikari. =)