What do you think?

yafashelli

He was so adorable when he was little! :D

Thanks. I think so too! I only paid 1.50 for her--can you believe it?

Nope :o

Arched back.

Tail tuck at _just_ shallower than 90 degrees.

Not a ton of wen.

I'm going to agree with some of the other folks up there, and say "ranchu" is closest - although one whose tail tuck isn't as deep as some others! I suppose you can go with "lionchu", if you'd prefer.

Handsome fella!

~Bruce

Arched back.

Tail tuck at _just_ shallower than 90 degrees.

Not a ton of wen.

I'm going to agree with some of the other folks up there, and say "ranchu" is closest - although one whose tail tuck isn't as deep as some others! I suppose you can go with "lionchu", if you'd prefer.

Handsome fella!

~Bruce

Still a pretty young fish, but I'm seeing some texture starting to peek through. That wen is on its way, that's for sure! :)

Whether ranchu or lionhead, I'm going to love her just the same. Just curious, is all.

I think she's a good lookin' kid too, thank you. :heart!

about 2 inches long, maybe a touch bigger, and a little over 50 grams.

You have a cutie. How big is your fish now?

About two inches, maybe a touch longer. A little over 50 grams.

Woohoo! I'm actually really excited that you guys are seeing ranchu. I also did, but they sold her to me as a lionhead, so I was like....what? :rofl

She probably was bought in the wholesale deal as lionhead. :)

As you know ranchus and lionheads are very similar, especially among all the "low quality" fish that most of us have available. The big differences are most obvious in show class fish that are professionally bred for looks and not for quantity. Not something you will find at your average LFS, of course.

The mass breeders here are likely even just having any dorsal-less fish breed together, some of them being ranchu, some lionhead, some lionchu, and then he just calls them all lionhead as he sells them to the LFS.

Probably because to the average person that does not know much about goldfish, the term "lionhead" seems more comprehensible than "ranchu". Those people are like what is a "ranchu"? What does "ranchu" mean?

I know that when I mention my lionhead to my family, they know I'm talking about Banana. But if I said "ranchu", they'd think I'm talking about salad.

That is why I have not yet seen a Petsmart or Petco actually selling ranchus. Pet Supermarket and Pet Superstore also do not offer ranchus, although I am sure that some of these places in reality do sell ranchus as well :)

But maybe the people in the South are just slow like that. :rofl

Woohoo! I'm actually really excited that you guys are seeing ranchu. I also did, but they sold her to me as a lionhead, so I was like....what? :rofl

She probably was bought in the wholesale deal as lionhead. :)

As you know ranchus and lionheads are very similar, especially among all the "low quality" fish that most of us have available. The big differences are most obvious in show class fish that are professionally bred for looks and not for quantity. Not something you will find at your average LFS, of course.

The mass breeders here are likely even just having any dorsal-less fish breed together, some of them being ranchu, some lionhead, some lionchu, and then he just calls them all lionhead as he sells them to the LFS.

Probably because to the average person that does not know much about goldfish, the term "lionhead" seems more comprehensible than "ranchu". Those people are like what is a "ranchu"? What does "ranchu" mean?

I know that when I mention my lionhead to my family, they know I'm talking about Banana. But if I said "ranchu", they'd think I'm talking about salad.

That is why I have not yet seen a Petsmart or Petco actually selling ranchus. Pet Supermarket and Pet Superstore also do not offer ranchus, although I am sure that some of these places in reality do sell ranchus as well :)

But maybe the people in the South are just slow like that. :rofl

I've never seen any dorsal-less fish at *smart/co either.

It's been so cool to watch her grow and change. Now, apart from fattening up, she's growing these really pretty nasal bouquets. They're for sure much more ornamental than my other two clowns. I have the coolest, most rotten fish ever.

Oh, and "Ranchu = salad"... :rofl

Edited by yafashelli

Well the cos and smarts here do sell "lionheads" but not ranchus. Although I know they do because I bought a ranchu at Petsmart.

Anyway, she sure is adorable and I love these nasal bouquets! With that cute look all her misbehaving is forgiven. By me at least :rofl

Well the cos and smarts here do sell "lionheads" but not ranchus. Although I know they do because I bought a ranchu at Petsmart.

Anyway, she sure is adorable and I love these nasal bouquets! With that cute look all her misbehaving is forgiven. By me at least :rofl

It's true...They're lucky that they're so cute, or I'd put them out! lol!