LT: Then finless lionhead!

Due to popular request, I give you LT, The Finless Lionhead :newfish ! (I've wanted to use that emoticon for awhile and now I finally have a chance :D)

So here is LT's story:

I was wandering through walmart one day and decided to look at the fish. I know, bad idea right? Well when I got there I happened to glance at the Lionhead tank! Low and behold what did I see? A little Lionhead fry who was getting spun around by the fast current of the filter and shoved by his fellow fry. Upon further inspection I found that the little guy had no fins! All of it was gone except a nub for a tail! I fought with myself for a bit about what to do (I had promised myself that my next fish would be a broadtail moor!) but in the end, I knew his little face would keep creeping into my memory. After all, he was very perky considering his predicament! So in the end I decided to wait the 30 minutes for a walmart employee to give the little guy to me (lol).

I got him home, set up his own 20 gallon qt tank, and got him acclimated. The first few days he was home he was very skiddish, but he started warming up quickly :D!

I figured I would wait until the following morning to start his MM regime so I gave him a tiny piece of Repashy for dinner. It was so cute! It took him a minute to figure out that the food was on the floor instead of floating but once he found it; Oh boy!! He munched it and swam around the tank at what I swear was light speed! I wish I had gotten a video of it!

I've had him for a week tomorrow and he's doing great!

As for the name... The name LT comes from the name my bf gave him: Lt. Dan Finless. He thought it would be clever to call him Lt. Dan after the character on Forrest Gump... I wanted to name him/her Ponyo, but that didn't happen lol... LT just kind of suck :P

I'm really sorry for the poor video and picture quality... He moves so darn fast! I'll try and get some better one's when there is light out :)

This is week 1 of me having him. I took this right after he was added to his tank:

This is week 2 of me having him:

100_0011_zps188925f4.jpg

You can start to see the black on his tail where his fins are healing :Jig:

I hope I posted in the correct place... I've never actually done a 'new fish' on here lol

Edited by anastasiam

Awwwwwwwwww! Poor little guy! I guess no one told him he was disabled because he sure is zippy. That is a face nobody could resist.

I like that word zippy... fits him perfect! I'm proud of you for saving for this little guy! What a cutie!

Awwwwwwwwww! Poor little guy! I guess no one told him he was disabled because he sure is zippy. That is a face nobody could resist.

I know right!? He is so cute! I swear he didn't rest for the first two nights he was here lol!

I like that word zippy... fits him perfect! I'm proud of you for saving for this little guy! What a cutie!

Aww thanks! I couldn't leave him behind... Not with that face!

He swims around really good considering :)

I know! I was really surprised at how well he swims without a current shoving him around lol

Oh my goodness! What a super cute little fish. You are pretty amazing for saving him, and giving him a good life. I love to see that he gets around so well, even with the missing fins. It is truly amazing how adaptable they are, when given the chance to live. My little Tater (also a lionhead) is missing just one of her pectoral fins, and she gets around just fine, and enjoys life, too. I wonder if whatever mutation itis that makes them dorsal-less also pops up to make them not have other fins, too, and if this is a fairly common thing? Whatever the reason, they're totally worth it. You completely rock my socks off with this little cutie! :heart

What a beautiful thing to do. He's got a great chance at having a full life thanks to you! :clapping:

Thank you, I'm doing everything I know how to! I'm so happy that he's doing so well now :D

I love him! I love his wiggly butt in the first video.

I know! He scoots around so well! It's almost like he uses it as a little propeller or some thing!

Oh my goodness! What a super cute little fish. You are pretty amazing for saving him, and giving him a good life. I love to see that he gets around so well, even with the missing fins. It is truly amazing how adaptable they are, when given the chance to live. My little Tater (also a lionhead) is missing just one of her pectoral fins, and she gets around just fine, and enj!oys life, too. I wonder if whatever mutation itis that makes them dorsal-less also pops up to make them not have other fins, too, and if this is a fairly common thing? Whatever the reason, they're totally worth it. You completely rock my socks off with this little cutie! :heart

That would definitely be something worth looking into... It looks like he's trying to grow back a little anal fin so I'm hoping it's something treatable. If not, I'm still thrilled :D. All of my other fish are a little different too :wub:.

I bet tater is a cutie too! Do you have any pictures of her up?

And remember: If it wasn't for everyone here I'd probably still be an ignorant fish keeper lol! So in a way, you guys helped save him too!!

He must have a super swim bladder! What an amazing little guy to swim so well. Please keep us posted on his progress. I'm curious as to whether he'll eventually grow fins or remain such a unique specimen. Good luck and kudos for saving him!!!

He must have a super swim bladder! What an amazing little guy to swim so well. Please keep us posted on his progress. I'm curious as to whether he'll eventually grow fins or remain such a unique specimen. Good luck and kudos for saving him!!!

I plan on it! That is.. As long as this camera don't disappear like my other two did :krazy:

That would definitely be something worth looking into... It looks like he's trying to grow back a little anal fin so I'm hoping it's something treatable. If not, I'm still thrilled :D. All of my other fish are a little different too :wub:.

I believe I have some pics of her up, somewhere- but, I can always post more! Hehe. :D

If there are no fin rays there, no fins will grow. If you have fin rays, the fins might grow back! In Tater's case, I am pretty sure it is a "birth defect", so to speak. No fin ray at all, and the little nub, where it would attach, is seriously under developed, as well. Not sure if it's the same cause for your little cutie, but he is doing just fine with the wonderful home you have given him. :heart

I believe I have some pics of her up, somewhere- but, I can always post more! Hehe. :D

If there are no fin rays there, no fins will grow. If you have fin rays, the fins might grow back! In Tater's case, I am pretty sure it is a "birth defect", so to speak. No fin ray at all, and the little nub, where it would attach, is seriously under developed, as well. Not sure if it's the same cause for your little cutie, but he is doing just fine with the wonderful home you have given him. :heart

:o oh wow I'm definitely still learning... Um what are fin rays exactly? Are they the skeleton structure of the fin? He has tiny little nubs where the pectoral fin should be, but I don't see any type of skeletal structure attached. I wonder if he'll be like Tater?

:o oh wow I'm definitely still learning... Um what are fin rays exactly? Are they the skeleton structure of the fin? He has tiny little nubs where the pectoral fin should be, but I don't see any type of skeletal structure attached. I wonder if he'll be like Tater?

BINGO! The fin rays are the bone part that comes out that the fin then grows from. Part of the skeletal structure of the fish, yes. It does, indeed, sound like he will be like Tater, but missing both, instead of just the one.

Judging by the way he swims, I am guessing he was either born that way, or has been disabled like that for a good while, now. He has definitely already adapted to the lack of fins (look at those super clean, tight turns!). It just makes him SUPER cute! Hehe.

Edited by JamieMonster

Awesome! Thanks for the info! He's got what looks like a tiny fin ray where his anal fin should be so that might grow back. Its kind of hard to see if he has fin rays anywhere else since hes so tiny and quick. I guess we'll find out eventually!

Oh I know! Isn't he just amazing :wub: ? He's such a tough little fish! As long as he is happy, so am I!!

I might be wrong but he looks like he hasn't had most of his fins for the longest time. The tail looks like it was recent finrot, since it is healing.

But I noticed that he swims a little bit funny/different. He uses his body much more to swim around than other fish, as if he has learned to swim that way.

Super cute and adorable, I absolutely understand why you had to take him home :D Thanks for being so awesome to give him a good life like that, because probably not many people would have purchased him for a proper goldfish setup. :heart