Help! Snail!

So I've been finding baby snails (usually one at a time) in my tank off and on for about two months now. I've usually just been... Getting rid of them. I ran into a problem however: An itty bitty one got sucked into my EHIEM :(. I know that they can reproduce by asexually so I'm worried about having more living in my filter. What do I do?? Is there something I can run through the filter to kill it or do I take it apart and find the little punk?

I'd be worried just letting it decompose in there would mess with your water quality, especially if there's more unseen ones. I'd suggest taking the canister apart and giving it a really good clean. I've heard that salt kills snails, and so does prazi.

i have heard stories where people have found a lot of snails in their canister filters, so i would most definately clean it out. Salt does kill snails but im not sure at what percentage of salt you would need to use. im surprised your fish haven't eaten them. i always hear that goldfish will eat small snails.

This sounds weird... but when you find it, beat it to a pulp like Mimi Smegy :bat:

Edited by Orandatchi♥

Salt kills snails, but many will actually withstand 0.3%. Plus, you will putting the fish through an unnecessary salt treatment as well.

Copper kills invertebrates, and I wonder if this would be somehow working here to get rid of the snails. But here again, unless you would remove the fish into a temporary holding tub while the copper does its magic, it will also affect the fish one way or another. You know, the whole ordeal of putting fish through something that is not necessary.

Worst case you could only treat the filter / media with copper, but I am not sure how long this would have to be in order to be effective, and if there would be any negative side effects to the BBs.

I would just give the filter/media a thorough cleaning, try to pick out all the snails you find, and then keep the filter extra clean to not give the snails anything to feed on in there. In general, keep the tank as clean as possible. As long as there is not a whole lot of food for the snails, they will not multiply like crazy and are nothing to worry about. In fact, a small number of snails is somewhat beneficial. Having a ton of them all of a sudden is a sign that there is too much organic material in the tank, and the tank may need to be cleaned thoroughly / better / fish fed less. :)

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

Woo! So I cleaned EVERYTHING! Oddly enough I didn't really find anything... I wonder where they're coming from..? I've only found maybe 3 in the past few months. Maybe they're was just a few left over eggs from when I PP'd my marimo balls? I usually keep my tank pretty clean, so that hopefully kept their numbers down too.

I cleaned out the BB's and cleaned everything in the Ehiem with prazi water...

Man, I remember when I just started out I had a tiger snail... I opened up my HOB one day... And found at least 100 of those little punks!! My fish keeping skill have since gotten better :rofl

This sounds weird... but when you find it, beat it to a pulp like Mimi Smegy :bat:

I know what you mean! I usually don't even like killing bugs... But snails are a different story!

Excuse young lady? I don't beat everything to a pulp I'll have you know....just most things. :rofl

• 4 weeks later...
  • Supporter

I've heard that salt kills snails, and so does prazi.

i wasn't aware that Prazi kills snails.. i think the real threat is products which contain prazi.. like parasite guard which has prazi and 3 other meds, 2 of which will kill snails, as well as others which may cause a threat to losing the cycle, like fish, snails can be sensitive to immediate environment changes. but, i am not actually sure that Prazi alone will kill snails.

Chelsea, do you have any information on Prazi (on it's own) being unsafe for snails that you can share? i am interested in learning more :)

i wasn't aware that Prazi kills snails.. i think the real threat is products which contain prazi.. like parasite guard which has prazi and 3 other meds, 2 of which will kill snails, as well as others which may cause a threat to losing the cycle, like fish, snails can be sensitive to immediate environment changes. but, i am not actually sure that Prazi alone will kill snails.

Chelsea, do you have any information on Prazi (on it's own) being unsafe for snails that you can share? i am interested in learning more :)

Just what happened to

• Supporter

Just what happened to

oh, i meant information from the manufacturers.. it's ok, i don't need to see aqauarists results as there have been previous discussions, but i don't recall any progress where it concerns confrimation that Prazi kills snails. i will email goldfish connection and ask them direct :)

Just what happened to

oh, i meant information from the manufacturers.. it's ok, i don't need to see aqauarists results as there have been previous discussions, but i don't recall any progress where it concerns confrimation that Prazi kills snails. i will email goldfish connection and ask them direct :)

:) Sounds like a good idea.

Oh awesome! Thanks Helen!

My little snail disappeared, but I found a big fat ramshorn in my plant tank lol... I decided to keep him/her :). I can't find it in my heart to cull something that big...

Excuse young lady? I don't beat everything to a pulp I'll have you know....just most things. :rofl

I just have to ask. What does Mimi stand for? :rofl!

Mimi is just another word for grandma.

:D mimi smegy it is! But I might be too old to call you that...

:D mimi smegy it is! But I might be too old to call you that...

Just a little bit. :rolleyes:

Sorry I am a little late to the discussion, but I'd like to add my input if that's OK.

In November of 2012, Lisa, Sakura, PSP, Shelly, and I are some of the participants on a thread here about Nerites and Prazi

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/103824-i-miss-my-nerites/page__p__1306449__hl__+nerite%20+dnalex__fromsearch__1#entry1306449

I had the misfortune to have killed them all with treatment, and I guess in January 2013, Sakura confirmed my previous observation, that the med can be toxic, when she exposed her Nerites to prazi. However, PSP did not have any issues, and searching an actual snail forum, the consensus there is that there have been conflicting reports.

So, I don't think that we can make a definitive conclusion here. As always, when in doubt, take the necessary precautions. :)

Sorry I am a little late to the discussion, but I'd like to add my input if that's OK.

In November of 2012, Lisa, Sakura, PSP, Shelly, and I are some of the participants on a thread here about Nerites and Prazi

http://www.kokosgold..._1#entry1306449

I had the misfortune to have killed them all with treatment, and I guess in January 2013, Sakura confirmed my previous observation, that the med can be toxic, when she exposed her Nerites to prazi. However, PSP did not have any issues, and searching an actual snail forum, the consensus there is that there have been conflicting reports.

So, I don't think that we can make a definitive conclusion here. As always, when in doubt, take the necessary precautions. :)

Oh, I missed that conversation (or don't remember it) but now I wonder if this is the reason why four of my five horned nerites went bye-byes so quickly. I know I've treated with prazi pro since I got these guys.

I never had issues with mystery snails, not that I've noticed. But the nerites, I had gotten them only a few months ago and was quite disappointed that I only have one left now.

Well, now I know for the future.

Ok :). So kokonuts call you Mimi Smegy?