Sick crowntail beta (blackstar)

Hi Can anyone help with my daughters sick beta his name is blackstar and she has had him for about a month thanks

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level? 0

[*]Nitrite Level? 0

[*]Nitrate level? 0

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.6

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.6

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? api drops

[*]Water temperature? 76 F

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? one month 2.5 gallons

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)?

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? 100% 1xweek

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? crowntail beta and 1 albino cory cat

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? prime

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? omega one betta buffet 2x day

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? no

[*]Any medications added to the tank? no

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? he is floating not able to stay on bottom struggling to swim to bottom of tank my daughter said he has been like this since sunday but he is eating she cleaned his tank today thats when i noticed the floating

4D9AA9BC-D67C-49BF-9276-44386E731448-8839-0000099F6AAB077A_zps1e5b0511.jpgthis is his tank

Here us a vid of him

Bettas can get swim bladder issues, too- have you tried feeding him brine shrimp or peas? How much of the food do you feed, each time? Do you give him a "fast day" weekly? I'd fast for 3 days, then feed peas or brine shrimp in small amounts for 2-3 days after.

Bettas can get swim bladder issues, too- have you tried feeding him brine shrimp or peas? How much of the food do you feed, each time? Do you give him a "fast day" weekly? I'd fast for 3 days, then feed peas or brine shrimp in small amounts for 2-3 days after.

My daughter has been feeding him so I'm not sure how much flakes she has been giving him i know i see a lot of waste at the bottom of the tank she says she puts extra for the cory cat i told her that even the cory cat does not need that much extra food i do give brine shrimp few times a week but not yet this week i will try to give him some peas if i fast him will the cory cat be ok fasting or do i need to drop a sinking pellet or two in i have moved him into the kitchen so i can watch him now i know i need to keep a closer eye on her feeding him but i think she will do much better now she is really scared he will die!!

I agree with fasting, however I would like to touch on another issue.

2.5 gallons is really pushing it for a betta alone, however along with the cory, you are quite overstocked. Cories prefer to be in groups of around 4 minimum. Provided you're keeping the water nice and clean, it is ok for a short term period, however it will be a good idea to upgrade eventually to suit both fish's needs :) 10 gallons will happily house a betta and four corydoras bringing the tank up to complete stocking, or if you just wanted to stick with the one corydora and betta, 5 gallons will be fine.

If it is caused by constipation, you can also increase the temperature to 78-80F which will help alongside fasting. The cory will also be fine in this temperature. In terms of food, flakes are not the best mainly since they can cause floating issues (they expand quite a bit in water), so make sure to only be feeding around the bettas eye size (soaked) once to twice daily. alternatively, you can switch to a pellet product :)

In a tank of that size I would say keep hm by himself and use a filter. A small sponge filter works great on betta tanks because they don't create too much turbulence. Get the tank cycled and after that do 50 percent water changes weekly. Feed once or twice a day only a small amount and fast once a week. I would also try to very his food a little bit.

Thx for your help guys I'm goning to go ahead and get her a 10 gallon for the betta and Cory. Seen one at Walmart for $12 I have a old wisper and ill grap some cycled media from my Goldie's tank should I wait to move him till he is better and just move the Cory? The 2.5 does have a small filter which I did use cycled filter padding in. Blackstar is more active today but still unable to stay down

Peas should be blanched before feeding, but no they're just as good on bettas :)

I think it will be good to keep him in the 2.5g. Reason being, you can lower the water level to help him stablise

Hi Guys blackstar is doing much better and is much more active i moved him over to the bigger tank with the cory cat but he is still not able to stay near the bottom with his fav plant. Could he be perm affected by his SBD ? I did give him a floating plant that he loves to swim around and I always find him in it. My daughter did not want gravel so she left it bare bottom will this be ok for the beta and cory?

Swim bladder does take some time to recover, but he's seeming a lot better. The bare bottom is fine for the betta provided he isn't stressed by it, however corydoras spend most of their time forraging in the substrate, so for that reason, even a thin layer of sand or other substrates would be good for him, considering he is also by himself