Sign in to follow this  
Coburnn2

Intake tube (help)

As for a video. It really is just him floating on his side not moving. If you like i will film it.

nope nothing anymore. I force fed him a pea by mushing it into a past and rubbing it over his mouth. He is took weak to try and swim against me and he doesn't come for food.

when did he eat that forced fed meal? of is this something you did just after i mentioned it? the only other suggestion re feeding i have is to use a syringe. but since the mouth is damaged and that can be quite sore, i am not sure if you would like to try it.

when was the last time you water changed his tank?

yep, i want to see a short vid of his behaviour and his breating/mouth.

yesterday morning I did a 30% change. I checked the water parameters before I introduced them into the tank too just to be sure.

He ate the pea about an hour ago, no poop yet

At the moment he is in fresh water with salt and meds. He has perked up a little, as in he swims a little around the container and then rests (floats). He will give little tail nudges when I pop my hand in.

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http:%2F%2Fvid749.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fxx132%2Ftbunnypics%2Frandom%2FVIDEO0021-0.mp4">

Edited by Coburnn2

any thoughts on what it could be? also earlier swimming behavior includes him being upside down because he can't right himself. when he floats he floats on his side.

When you check his gills what colour are they?

they are a pale pink colour not the usual bright pink :(

I'm so sorry, but I think that he is dying. :(

Although externally his healing, it seems to me that there are internal issues that he isn't getting over. :(

yip I thought so too but I was not sure :( as he was doing so well for the past week.

A second opinion is always best me thinks :) I would hate to think that I thought he was past saving but wasn't because it was something I didn't think of.

I just wanted to say thank you for all your help and support with this little guy :)

I will share my pics of my other goldies and new planted tank soon.

oh and the ich on my other tank is under control :)

hun,

i have been discussing this with Alex..

here's our thoughts on this. we have been invesitgating probable causes to anaemia fairly recently. we understand that anaemia can come to a fish for a few reasons..

1. typically, parasitic influece

2. injury

there are other causes, but i do not suspect them for your fish purely from what they state their causes/symptoms are.

i suspect it's from the injury... if it is from the injury, and you can get Folic Acid from the supermarket or Pharmacy, then we can try to reverse it by treating with Folic Acid. during which ( and now i have heard from member U.K becs who is ready and waiting your address to post the Metronidazole to you) that should arrive within two-three business days from Monday. if you can get the Folic Acid, we can then treat the water, he will take it in by just his normal breathing, this may also increase his appetite and then we can begin feeding him again.

of course, this is all upto you, if you want to try this (there are no guarantees), we're here to help guide you. but, if you think he's near the end and this is it, we respect your decision :heart

Its 6:50pm here so I can get to a pharmacy tomorrow at the earliest. I will pick up some folic acid if the little guy makes it through the night :(

The only thing I would have here right now that contains folic acid is a human multi vitamin?

edit: Also would anemia in a goldfish result in swimming behavior that mimics a swim bladder infection? or do you think its anemia purely from the gill colour? I would just like to learn as much from this horrible situation as possible. :/

Edited by Coburnn2

I wouldn't add the multivitamin to the water. Let's cross our fins and wait for tomorrow. :hug

:) ok I trust you guys.

*crossing fins*

hi, i got the folic acid. however he is too light for any of our scales to read. we are rough guessing 0.5 - 1 gram. :(

he is still swimming slowly.

I posted the meds to you this morning, I hope you get them in time to save your fishy. :)

Thanks UK Becs :) the little guy appears to be a fighter!

Erm guys could you please have a look at this video? The little guy has perked up since yesterday. His tummy is really bloated and you can see what I mean here about his swimming behavior!

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http:%2F%2Fvid749.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fxx132%2Ftbunnypics%2Frandom%2FVIDEO0022.mp4">

Edited by Coburnn2

I know this may sound crazy but what about a garlic treatment for the little guy?

Garlic is usually used to encourage eating. If this is a problem you are having with this fish, you can soak their food in garlic water before feeding.

I know that garlic tonic can help with internal bacteria infections & when there is a build up of gas / swim bladder issues & encourage eating etc

I have no issue with using garlic at all. Please try it. :)

ok. what about folic acid

I think that folic acid is a good supplement to add. According to papers that Helen has been reading, folic acid will need to be ingested, and it's not one of those meds that have immediate effects. So, for now, let's focus on the garlic. I will be figuring out the doses for the folic acid and how much to feed, and hope to get this figured out in the next day or so. :)

How are things?

No Problem. Again if there is anything I can read / calculate for you guys please let me know.

The little guy is again perky this morning. A lot more swimming than floating now but still a majority of floating It's still *really* early here and the garlic tonic should be ready now for his first little syringe full. I think due to how bad he is I would go with a syringe over garlic in the water and I'll use 1 drop as he is about 1 inch of fish.

Believe it or not I am having the worst fish luck this month.

My filter in my main tank has somehow stalled after being cycled :( (I think it has a lot to do with a certain child turning off the heater) so my fish are in my bath right now, while I'm bringing the temp back up to reduce the ammonia in there. I'm hoping I have caught it in time and that not *all* the bacteria in there are dead. sigh My attention has been on my sick fish and the ich in the QT(a newbie goldie) so I didn't notice the temp drop till I got home last night. So I'm doing 2 hour checks on my tank and fish until my lunch shift. arrrrg

(yeah im going to be locking doors here)

Hmm I have been watching him for the last 3 hours and I think hes getting worse. I think whatever he is fighting he is loosing now.

He has stopped swimming and just floating now. His breathing is rapid and he is floating at a slightly bent angle. I doubt he will still be here when I get home. But I said that on sunday and here the little guy is. I really don't know. He goes through ups and downs but he hasn't eaten now since I forced him too son sun and that was a small amount. I don't think he has the energy anymore :( I did a water change this morning and gave him a small amount of garlic tonic. :(