My friends' black moor - fungus?

opis_fin

Hi Kokopeeps.

This is on behalf of my friend who keeps goldfish. I did the best I could filling out the details for her.

Basically what has happened is she has had one fish die 2 weeks ago it bottom sitting etc but otherwise no signs of ill heath. Now another fish is showing similar symptoms. However when my partner and I went over to help check levels etc, we noticed her black moor has a white fungus sort of thing on both sides of its body. Thinking that maybe this was the cause of the other one becoming ill, we lent her my bottle of Metafix.

Have I done the right thing? or is there more that can be done for her lil guys?

Oh and also the water has been a bit bubbly since the one past away - and this was before the dose of metafix.

I've done the best I can with the following details...

Test Results for the Following:
  • * Ammonia Level (tank): 0 - 5 ppm
  • * Nitrite Level (tank) 0ppm
  • * Nitrate level (Tank) 0.25ppm
  • * Ammonia Level (Tap): ??
  • * Nitrite Level (Tap) ??
  • * Nitrate level (Tap) ??
  • * Ph Level, (Tank) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.4
  • * Ph Level, (Tap) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) ??
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? Drops
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Unsure
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? API conditioner
  • * Water temperature? Unsure
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? weekly

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 4, 75%
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 70L ish (I can't remember exactly)
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 4 under 6 cm
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? self feeding stone
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? Nil
  • * Any medications added to the tank? one dose of Metafix
  • * List previous issues experienced (dropsy, SBD, etc.) One fish died two weeks ago. Now a different one is showing similar sypmtoms
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? White fungus? on black moor both sides of body
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? dorsal fins down. slow swimming
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Not entirely sure
  • * You can really help us to identify with the concern more accurately if you post some pictures and a short video.

Here is a video of the little guy -

Nono/video/embed?video_id=10200397480933687

Hi Helen,

Oops! I forgot about the not linking to out side sources thing (besides photobucket and youtube of course) sorry =S

Im unable to upload the video to youtube because my friend has uploaded the video to facebook since it was too big to email to me. And from what I can find there is no way to download a video from facebook?

Anyhow, Here is a photo I took of him yesterday... the other side of him was a bit worse (more area covered by the fungus)

20130325_185531_zps9d14dd33.jpg

• Supporter

thank you :)

underneath his chin, is that an air bubble or a white spot? and that white patch, is that just the slimecoat or on the slime coat or is the fish actually losing colour also?

• Supporter

ok, so she's got 18 gallons & 4 fish.. were 5 from what i read, given that you posted 1 died not so long ago. this unfortunately is very overstocked. there should be only the 1 goldie in there. she's only going to keep seeing similar issues and worse with her fish as time moves on and in the not too distant future too :( .

is the filter cycled? i see that there is some ammonia in the water. i would say that the filter is unable to handle the load. is there adequate aeration? does she have gravel and ornaments in there too? the video you have, does it show all the tank set up? if so, please do upload it as it will be handy to gain an understanding of what they're living in.

i would think that the moor will need to undergo some salt baths to have the slime coat stripped away in order for a healthy one to grow back which will be parasite free should this be the influence of the white patches. this will also help to treat/rid fungus and repair fins too. then following some time in QT,. successful salth bathing is 3, 5 minute sessions at 3% salt.

immediately though, she needs to look at getting a bigger tank or temporary home like a food safe tub from bunnings or other similar stores, dimmeys might be a good store for that stuff too. but, it needs to be around 230 litres (minimum) which is 60 gallons and have appropriate filtration/aeration.

with 4 fish in an 18 gallon tank, 80% waterchanges need to be done daily or twice daily and certainly move right away from a feeding block. they should be fed nutritional foods and a feeding block just doesn't cut it. so blanched fresh veggies and other good foods and only once a day (very lightly).

have any of the fish been treated for flukes and tapeworms?

at the moment, there are a lot of contributing factors to the symptoms that are shown on this fish. unfortunately, changing the water in the current tank once weekly is just not good enough. it is not safe for them to be living in such a small space due to the amount of waste they produce. i would be trying to really encouraging your friend to upgrade as immediately as possible or go the temporary arrangement i mentioned.

here is an ideal temporary arrangement our NZ member Anaru made for his fish.. it can be just as simple as this for now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RagCCJP0yI&list=FL1dHPvLH0UeFOp_UZIYwtZg&index=3