What is a good minimum lifetime tank size for one fancy?

No, it doesn't apply to most fish. Goldfish are a wonderfully unique and varied species, which is why there's such a steep learning curve involved when first keeping them. It surprises a lot of folks.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, it doesn't apply to most fish. Goldfish are a wonderfully unique and varied species, which is why there's such a steep learning curve involved when first keeping them. It surprises a lot of folks.

Thats good to know. I didn't know that they grow so mich more than other fish. I think that is a very valuable thing to know and keep in mind when keeping goldfish :) I am suprised myself :)

Interesting topic and to anwer the question you propose and the tank size your planning to get...it would be more then enough but at the same time it might not be if your maintenance and systems aren't in check? Like you get a 100 gallon but you only change the water every year or so...which isn't really adequate for one fish in its lifetime. So in the end it depends on you and how you plan to take care of your fish. Also the gallon per fish rule...I'm not getting into that one lol

Interesting topic and to anwer the question you propose and the tank size your planning to get...it would be more then enough but at the same time it might not be if your maintenance and systems aren't in check? Like you get a 100 gallon but you only change the water every year or so...which isn't really adequate for one fish in its lifetime. So in the end it depends on you and how you plan to take care of your fish. Also the gallon per fish rule...I'm not getting into that one lol

Well I was hoping to do one 50-80% water change a week :) and two aquaclear 70s for the 40 gallon

Plus a 30 breeder has the same footprint as a 40 breeder, it's just 4 inches shorter...

I think that the footprint is more important than height to fish.

Plus a 30 breeder has the same footprint as a 40 breeder, it's just 4 inches shorter...

I think that the footprint is more important than height to fish.

For some sensitive fancies, tank height can be very important. Some fancies cannot be kept in deep tanks because the water pressure can cause swim bladder issues, so tank height can be a consideration. Height is actually one of the primary reasons I chose a 40 breeder over a 55, I liked the height better on the 40 despite the reduced gallonage

Okay...Then I will not give up on the idea of having a goldfish. I have been wanting one for so long, and have been doing so much research on them...they are so appealing to me...I really didn't want to give up on it, but I also want to be a great goldfish owner, even on my first go, because that fish's life counts too...

Don't give up! I promise we are not trying to deter you from getting a goldfish, it is just impossible to give an exact answer to your question. A 40 gallon breeder would be a GREAT home for a single fantail, and would last a vast majority of the fish's life, if not it's entire life. As PSP said, some goldies just grow huge and it would be wrong of us to tell you otherwise. It sounds like you will be an excellent fish owner and you are asking all the right questions. :)

I like roomy spaces, so the fish should like a tank as big as it can get to itself, and maybe some friends too. :)

Okay...Then I will not give up on the idea of having a goldfish. I have been wanting one for so long, and have been doing so much research on them...they are so appealing to me...I really didn't want to give up on it, but I also want to be a great goldfish owner, even on my first go, because that fish's life counts too...

Don't give up! I promise we are not trying to deter you from getting a goldfish, it is just impossible to give an exact answer to your question. A 40 gallon breeder would be a GREAT home for a single fantail, and would last a vast majority of the fish's life, if not it's entire life. As PSP said, some goldies just grow huge and it would be wrong of us to tell you otherwise. It sounds like you will be an excellent fish owner and you are asking all the right questions. :)

Thank you :)

And thank you everyone for your advice :)