Sign in to follow this  
crabs

how long to leave pellets in?

When i feed my fish i feed a selection of gold fish pellets that float, cat fish pellets that sink, and gold fish flakes. The fish seem to leave the gold fish pellets for hours , just picking them off now and then. is this ok?

Are you feeding your fish too much food and too many times? When I feed my goldfish twice a day maybe three I drop some sinking pellets and they eat it all up within 3 minutes. I would think leaving pellets in your tank for hours would pollute your tank up. Perhaps you can feed your fish one type of food at a time. Then at your next feeding, feed a different type of food. Just a thought!

maybe, i feed once a day . how much should i be feeding. they do love the catfish pellets are they ok as a main food?

maybe, i feed once a day . how much should i be feeding. they do love the catfish pellets are they ok as a main food?

There a members here that feed their fish once a day, twice a day, and three times a day. You don't want to over feed your fish. It isn't good for their health or your tank. (water quality) I believe there is more then one topic (link) on this topic already that might help you if you search for it. How much to feed you asked. It depends how big or small your fish are. Like I had said, I give my fish as much food to eat in about a 3 minute time period. (actually they prob. eat it all much sooner.) A little pinch or two. I feed my fish a variety of Omega One pellets, New Life Spectrum pellets, Hikari blood worms and shrimp once a week as a treat, shelled peas, and some broccoli. I know there are a lot of members that feed their fish so much more then what I do. My goldies enjoy eating what I'm feeding them and they have grown two inches plus in a 9, 10, month period. I'm not aware of catfish pellets. There will be others giving you help/advice. Edited by 4prettyfish

The food should all be gone within 5 minutes if you have slow eaters, but preferably in less than 2 minutes.

As Cheryl said, it's much better to feed them very small amounts but more often. Goldfish lack a true stomach.

maybe i should stop feeding the gold fish pellets as they don't go for them. they sometimes hold one in there mouth and then spit it out even if its pr-soaked. they like the flakes and LOVE the cat fish pellets lol. i have three fish . biggest is about 5 inch.

I don't feed mine anything that floats. And any pellet is soaked.

Perhaps you could list the ingredients or link us to the cat fish pellets so we can see what's in them? Do you feed other foods--any veggies, blood worms, etc--or just the flakes and cat fish pellets? :idont

i feed blood worms and peas and spinach ,the gold fish pellets are called Tetra Gold fish sticks which they dont seem to like. the cat fish pellets that they love are from JMC oil 11% protein 47% ash 12% fibre 2% phosphorus 2% copper 3mg.kg

I looked up the food.

Since there isn't any ingredient information other than the amount of nutrients, I would very much hesitate on making that their diet. Try to find some sinking goldfish pellets for them. Hikari is a good, readily available brand. ProGold is available online and is good too. They really should be getting foods that are specialized for them, in my opinion.

im in the UK so cant get the gold. the Goldfish pellets are mant to be good but they float so i will have to get a difretnt type. they are having flakes too

Flakes do not provide much nutritional value, and once they hit the water the little nutrition they could provide is leeched out. I would stop the flakes all together and get them some Hikari or similar.

which Hikari do i get? i see there are a lot of difrent types

which Hikari do i get? i see there are a lot of difrent types

saki hikari (purple bag) is a good one (but note that it is a color enhancer and can cause white fish to have some yellow blotches), Hikari lionhead is another good one (it doesn't matter if your fish are not lionheads).

thank you i was looking at Hikari lionhead :)

I've fed Hikari Lionhead on and off over the years in this hobby. I really liked the pellets, although I have noticed with some of my past fish that the pellets have caused yellowing. Admittedly, the greatest colour change I witnessed was on one of my orandas I had nicknamed 'the chameleon', but it is something to keep in mind.

I have ordered some . one of my fish is a deep gold as in red the other is yellow so they should be ok . i will have to keep an eye on the shubmkin though