Black fluid from "dead" snail?

My fiance doesn't believe his snail is dead, but when I tap it lightly on a paper towel, black fluid comes out and it doesn't "suck" it's body back into the shell. I've poked and prodded it with tweezers, that sucker ain't moving.

So is that black fluid something ONLY dead snails do? Is it an indication of a 100% dead snail?

kind of smells like burnt shoe rubber or burnt seaweed or something....not the best of smells, but the live one doesn't smell like roses either when I compared them.

kind of smells like burnt shoe rubber or burnt seaweed or something....not the best of smells, but the live one doesn't smell like roses either when I compared them.

I have images of you sniffing snails now :rofl

+1 on snail being dead.

Definitely dead. If you take him outside and put a bag down and shake the snail over it, the snail will come out and so will more fluid and it will smell just well. It smells so bad up can't describe it. You just have to smell it yourself to understand.

• Supporter

here is the logical way (and more humane way) to check if your snail is alive or deceased. remove the snail into a small tub of tank water. lift the snail, try to open it's trap door. if the snail pulls the trap door shut, or it is fighting you to keep it shut whilst you are trying to open it, then snail is alive.

if the snail's trapdoor stays open and there is no movement from the snail within 5-10 seconds or more, then the snail has died.

lift the snail, try to open it's trap door. if the snail pulls the trap door shut, or it is fighting you to keep it shut whilst you are trying to open it, then snail is alive.

haha I'm just picturing a little tug-of-war with a snail :rofl

I notice u can actually see whats goin on in the shell (apple snails; yellow shell)

If u put it infront of a strong lighting..

U can see its membrane/lung breathing..

Definitely a pungent smell and if u try to force it to open,no resistance, some bubbles coming out and u got a dead snails..

Have been thru it lately....