Talk me through Fish in Cycle?

• Supporter

So my two main filters went kaput. It took me a white to notice the most recent one wasn't pumping the water through... and when I opened it up, it absolutely stunk. It almost made me sick ;-; I don't think any of the good bacteria is still alive, the media was just sitting in stagnant water for a time I'm not sure of...the sponges were falling apart and I couldn't get all the ceremic noodles out

I do have a new filter now, but I'm worried my cycle is dead. I tested the water today and got 0-.25 Ammonia (I can never tell the difference), 0 Nitrite and 20 Nitrate.

I'm going to be completely honest and say that in all my years of keeping fish I've never paid any attention to cycling, by the time I learned about it my fish had already endured the cycle and it was stable. (poor fishies!)

But um yea, I'd like to know what to look out for to know if my cycle has gone and steps to take to re-cycle with my fish in

Easy :)

Use Seachem Prime or Amquel Plus. With someone's recent problem with overdosing Amquel, I am more inclined to suggesting Prime :)

Here is my very own set of rules for fish-in cyclings :rofl

1. Everyday, at 2x the recommended amount of Prime for the volume of the tank.

2. Check you ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. If ammonia + nitrite together is less than 1, do nothing other than the 2x Prime.

3. If ammonia + nitrite is equal or greater than one, do as big a WC as you are able (hopefully 100%) to get these numbers to zero, and continue. Also dose in 2X Prime when you do WCs.

Easy :)

Use Seachem Prime or Amquel Plus. With someone's recent problem with overdosing Amquel, I am more inclined to suggesting Prime :)

Here is my very own set of rules for fish-in cyclings :rofl

1. Everyday, at 2x the recommended amount of Prime for the volume of the tank.

2. Check you ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. If ammonia + nitrite together is less than 1, do nothing other than the 2x Prime.

3. If ammonia + nitrite is equal or greater than one, do as big a WC as you are able (hopefully 100%) to get these numbers to zero, and continue. Also dose in 2X Prime when you do WCs.

bingo , I always did water changes every other day :)