• * Nitrite Level (tank) 0ppm
  • * Nitrate level (Tank) 5ppm
  • * Ammonia Level (Tap): 0ppm
  • * Nitrite Level (Tap) 0ppm
  • * Nitrate level (Tap) 5ppm
  • * Ph Level, (Tank) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.5
  • * Ph Level, (Tap) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.5
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API master test kit drops
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? none at the moment
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
  • * Water temperature? 72F
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? First time, usually 1-2 a week, about 75-90%

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Today, new tanks
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? New tank
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 fish... about an inch
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Haven't fed yet
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? No, new tank with just him
  • * Any medications added to the tank? No, just prime
  • * List previous issues experienced (dropsy, SBD, etc.) Not sure
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • No fins and red spot on anus
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? He's pretty active for being fin-less
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Nothing yet
  • * You can really help us to identify with the concern more accurately if you post some pictures and a short video.

Hey guys! Guess what? I went to the fish Dept at Walmart :P. Bad idea right?

Well long story short, I bought a little orange lionhead. He's super active and bubbly, but... He has no fins. both of his pectoral fins are gone (he has little nubs), I don't see any anal or ventral fins either... Half of his tail has been eaten away too. It also looks like he has some redness around his anus as well. Its kind of hard to tell because he's so small though :(. So far I have him in a 20 gallon tank with no filter. I left off the filter because I noticed that he was being shoved around and flipped by the filter he had in his other tank... I'm about to go get a bubble stone for him now. So, I guess my question is: What kind of treatments can I do to try and save him? Should I put a small filter in there? I have Prazi on hand and Metro meds, but I'm not sure if he's big enough to eat the pellets.

I hope he's going to make it. I'm going to try my best!

Oh also, when and how much should I feed him? Its been awhile since I've had a new fishy :D. I feed repashy and veggies usually

Thanks guys!!

The picture is kind of bad quality but here he is:

Photo-01061_zps24cab622.jpg

I would do a minimum of 0.1% salt and prazi during his quarantine. This alone may be enough to get him as healthy as he is going to be. Salt alone may help if the redness is just a minor issue. For filtration, maybe try baffling the outflow of the filter with a sponge or something similar. Otherwise a sponge filter would be handy, but may not be well seeded before he is done in QT. Be ready for large frequent WC's, possibly daily if testing indicates it.

Some of the mods may encourage more aggressive actions than I am qualified to make.

Assuming no meds are advised, I would go for Pro-gold (break up the pellets to the needed size) with a high protein treat every couple days. I make a frozen bloodworm/brine shrimp cocktail all my fish love. I have also heard good things about Repashy Spawn and Grow for little ones.

I hope you have an easy and uneventful QT and congrats on the new fish.

Thank you!! I have some filter media from my main tank I think I can use.. Every one in there is happy and healthy, if you think its a good idea :). I also have a small 10-20 gallon filter that I picked up yesterday that I can probably put a sponge on :).

I don't currently have any pro-gold or repashy spawn and grow so it might take a bit to get here... I do have bloodworms handy though! Should I just give a bit of repashy later and some bloodworms or should I wait until he's a bit more settled? He's been in his new home for about an hour now :)

I really appreciate the advice and good vibes!!

Good job, Avepico! :rofl

For high risk fish, I would recommend starting with Metro-Meds for 2-3 days, and then dosing in Prazi. Metro should be for the full 14 days.

At some point, you will want to bring the QT salt to 0.3% to get rid of other ectoparasites etc, but I would do MMs and Prazi first. :)

Ok! Thanks!! So... How much MM's should I give him..? I don't think my scale is small enough to weigh him :(. I'm assuming that I just cut them in to eatable sizes for him too right? He's about an inch, not counting his little nub of a tail lol

awww poor little fella. i bet you will nurse him back to good health.

I'm trying :D thanks!

Wow, if you ever get a moment, I would be interested in seeing his method of swimming. Life persists eh?

Sure thing! I just have to find a camera worth something lol

I'm guessing he is 10 grams, if that much, so 4-5 pellets a day?

Sorry, I had to run out and get a bubble stone :)

So 4-5 pellets a day it is :). It looks like he might be having a bit of trouble finding food on the bottom... Do you think he'll figure it out eventually?

Also, I'm still a bit worried about the flow from the filter... I added some seeded media from my main tank to his. I tried looking for some sponges at the store, but they all said not for aquarium use. Right now I have the filter intake blocked off with some mesh but it looks like hes having some trouble still.

Also, should I go ahead and salt the water to .1% or should I wait until I add the Prazi?

Edited by anastasiam

With him being so disadvantaged, I would not do the regular 10x. Try 5x filtration for now, and perhaps work up to higher as he gets bigger. For now, it's not necessary, and may actually be problematic.

As for finding food on the bottom, my new little guy isn't great at it either. I try to get his attention, tap the surface of the water and he comes swimming and sees the food bag, and then drop one mouthful down for him to get. When he is done, I give him another. He does attack the food he sees so I don't see an appetite issue, just getting used to being fed like I feed the others. I always give him one piece that hits the bottom that he has to look for and then make sure he actually gets it. It is a bit more labor intensive in the short term, but it should train him to be ready for the main tank. A balance of working with his nature and training to mine.

As long as your new little one is eating what he sees, he probably doesn't have an appetite issue. I do wonder if most of the pet shops feed floating food and that is what our new fish are used to. The sinking food we know is better for them is new and they have to get used to it. Just my thought on the matter.

YES! Fish RESCUE! we are all about that here. Good luck!

I had one of our rescues that was so small I couldn't tell if it didn't have an eye on one side or just a big black spot. (I called him one eyed willie) One day I noticed his top fin was missing. It was not missing before that day. (this was before I was here and knew enough to save him) that was the last day I saw him. I think the bigger fish ate him! EWWWW .... so until you are sure he can escape the others, keep him away from a tank full of great swimmers.....

As for finding food on the bottom, my new little guy isn't great at it either. I try to get his attention, tap the surface of the water and he comes swimming and sees the food bag, and then drop one mouthful down for him to get. When he is done, I give him another. He does attack the food he sees so I don't see an appetite issue, just getting used to being fed like I feed the others. I always give him one piece that hits the bottom that he has to look for and then make sure he actually gets it. It is a bit more labor intensive in the short term, but it should train him to be ready for the main tank. A balance of working with his nature and training to mine.

As long as your new little one is eating what he sees, he probably doesn't have an appetite issue. I do wonder if most of the pet shops feed floating food and that is what our new fish are used to. The sinking food we know is better for them is new and they have to get used to it. Just my thought on the matter.

I'm starting to feed him in one spot now.. He's figuring it out pretty quickly :D. And boy does he have an appetite! I've often wondered about the floating food too... He was hanging out at the top like he was expecting it there. He smelled it eventually and figured it out :). He did the cutest little happy swim when he tasted real food lol!

Awww I love him :wub: as for feedings, maybe you can try to teach him to hand feed? Good luck with the little guy (:

Thanks :D! I can definitely try to teach him how to hand feed (my other two are hand fed :D) but right now he's still afraid of my hand... I think he thinks I'm trying to eat him lol

YES! Fish RESCUE! we are all about that here. Good luck!

I had one of our rescues that was so small I couldn't tell if it didn't have an eye on one side or just a big black spot. (I called him one eyed willie) One day I noticed his top fin was missing. It was not missing before that day. (this was before I was here and knew enough to save him) that was the last day I saw him. I think the bigger fish ate him! EWWWW .... so until you are sure he can escape the others, keep him away from a tank full of great swimmers.....

Oh I know! I saw him getting pushed around by the current and shoved by the other fish and it broke my heart. I'm just happy I could give the little fella a second chance :D

Oh my gosh, poor little thing, I am glad you rescued him! Best wishes for a healthier and happier future for him :)

Thanks! I hope I can get him back to 100%!

aww what a little cutie :) You got the best advise already... I hope all your hard work pays off :) Looking forward to seeing updates :)

Thanks! If I can steal my boyfriends phone I'll try and get a video later!

Thanks everyone for your support! I'm know LT appreciates it too!

Hi again!

So LT is starting to look great! There is a little black on his tail, which I am assuming is the healing process beginning :Jig: .

He has been on the MM's and salt at .1% for 7 days now, and his second dose of Prazi is tomorrow!

I had a quick question that I'm ashamed I didn't ask sooner:

When you do a WC are you supposed to add back the amount of salt that was in that water? For example: if you take out 10 gallons of water, will you have to add back the 10tsps to the new water? I read Trinket's salt guide, but for some reason I had a hard time comprehending what she was saying about adding it back :rofl

Yes, if you take out 10 gallons, you add enough to bring the 10 gallons you are replacing it with back up to whatever % is in the tank (assuming you want to keep it at that %, of course).

If you're at 0.1%, you can add 3 TBSP back to the 10 gallons to bring that 10 gallons up to 0.1%. :D

Oh ok, thanks!

I did the 3/4tsp that Alex said to do in his salt article since I use the fine canning and pickling salt... I actually took out 15 gallons (don't know why I decided to use 10 as an example lol) and added back 15 3/4 tsps. Is that too much?