Sign in to follow this  
LovelyChaos

Green water - Fish update

Well, I've pulled everyone out of the green water to drain the tank and scrub the walls to get rid of the algae, so I decided to take pictures of everyone to see what everyone looks like. Nova was taken out and placed in QT because he was bottom sitting. He's perked back up. He's probably going to come inside and stay in the 30 gallon tub along with Cream, and Sunny is coming inside and staying in a 20 gallon tub.

Everyone's colors have gotten so vibrant. The pictures kinda don't reflect the changes in real life, but in person the differences are staggering!

9151dfa5c65f16fb178facae496b52fc_zpsf3e7a1c2.jpg

No constipation problems here!

00a62b6e6c7bdcdf0aff793515f83b67_zps98006c35.jpg

Caligos wen has just exploded in growth! It is truly fantastic.

30ac144cb74506931d3388cbfe735883_zps04c6aeaf.jpg

Sunny seems to be a girl! She has also began turning more orange underneath her spotted green coloring, previously it was yellow.

683044ef512055cbd47dd5765fa851df_zps9c1d08ef.jpg

Look at that belly! Mushu is filling out his ryukin shape, also becoming increasingly more red vs. orange.

bbec9bdb6a7969a932f531893d1a2698_zps22c4c062.jpg

Renji and the nubby fin! The orange on the side is new. Renji may be a girl, and I'm not sure if I'd rename her or what. BF says Anoue. I say Nub.

0499c5ebc5b5f90a48d1ce420fa15f54_zpsf7acd95f.jpg

Unagi has gotten very dark. He is actually developing orange where the white in his fins were. It's a very interesting color!

b3b4962c54ea54f8d55331bbafcccbc3_zpsdda4634a.jpg

Cream battled dropsy and won, she has gotten pretty big, becoming the largest of the lionhead babies. I'm ecstatic about this, as her brother, Strawberry, passed away from dropsy ):

2ee482ff04447b11e53197e8a94305ef_zps73f03fae.jpg

Fio is looking plump and lovely. The small amounts of black she had have gotten much darker.

bc13dfcde4a2f8aa0d157bbe1c3a7f4c_zps4977e7d3.jpg

I know the blotch on the side looks green, but it's actually black and on both sides. I've looked at it closely, and it is pigmentation. Sashimi was originally a panda. The orange used to be yellow as well.

30d9632b2b559485a4d85f3fe2f655f9_zps45ee77d0.jpg

Tux! He is as gorgeous as ever. I think he even got bigger. His coloring has become more matte, I think this may be affecting his eyes to some extent but I'm not sure. Goodness I just love watching him swim :wub: so graceful...

Anyways, I am trying to get the funds to build a pond so my stocking situation will be relieved. The green water was fun while it lasted, now hopefully I never have to deal with it again!!

My wishlist now consists of tons of nitrate eating plants. Woo!

Thanks for looking!

They are all very beautiful! That greenwater has a lovely effect on black pigmentation!

They're so beautiful Charly, and it looks like outdoor life has been good to them!

Very nice hun :thumbs:

They're soo cute!! :D

They're looking great, charly!!

Beautiful!

Here's good proof that algae is amazing food for the fishies! :)

Lovely update! They all seem to be doing so well! :)

For the most part they are doing amazing (: a couple have been having issues but hopefully that's all in the past (:

They are all very beautiful! That greenwater has a lovely effect on black pigmentation!

It really does! Nova was twice as black as he was when I got him, he has new spots everywhere. He's not pictured but it's really something else (:

They're so beautiful Charly, and it looks like outdoor life has been good to them!

Thanks! I'm hoping Mushu will be as handsome as Clover! I do miss being able to watch them all the time indoors but they seem to like all of the algae growth (:

They look stunning :)

It's amazing what green water does to coloring :)

Oh I know! I never dreamed the fish would start going from white to orange. It's really something else (: I will miss what it does to colors but I won't miss being unable to see them and finding surprise sick fish /:

That black moor is amazing...

Isn't he? :wub: he was originally from Ms. Jenny and she got him from this fantastic breeder/store (don't remember which) and his sister is owned by Ahareday (:

Very nice hun :thumbs:

Thanks! :D

Wow! What a tank full of gorgeous fish! :wub:

Hehe now without the free water ill actually be able to see the tank of gorgeous fish!

They're soo cute!! :D

Thanks! :D when they go back in the tank there will be plenty of pics of Caligo (;

They're looking great, charly!!

Why thank you! It's a relief they are doing so well, I haven't been able to see them in the green water >.<

Beautiful!

Here's good proof that algae is amazing food for the fishies! :)

Oh definitely! It's ugly in the tank but fantastic for the fish. I just hope to have it in smaller quantities >.<

Thanks! (:

woo hoo!!! :D more caligo pics on the way is all i need to know ;)

Put them poor fish back in the water. lol Great looking bunch. Thank you for sharing.

I see the green water has done some marvelous things for their colouration, Charly. Your little redcap Caligos is just adorable! :D

Put them poor fish back in the water. lol Great looking bunch. Thank you for sharing.

Thanks! They weren't out for too long, we had a quick system to getting pictures.

Absolutely beautiful fish!

Thank you (; I've been lucky finding these guys (:

I see the green water has done some marvelous things for their colouration, Charly. Your little redcap Caligos is just adorable! :D

The green water was pretty amazing, now it's time to enjoy the view of them without the green >.< Caligo is pretty special (: her chubby cheeks have such personality (;

Thanks for the update :) Happy to hear they are all doing so good :)

I have to say whenever someone shows pics of their fish in their hands out of water I tend to think they're dead :( they just look so out of place and lifeless this way (at least to me )

sorry I just had to put that out there,

I guess that's why DO doesn't do that ;) lol

Thanks for the update :) Happy to hear they are all doing so good :)

I have to say whenever someone shows pics of their fish in their hands out of water I tend to think they're dead :( they just look so out of place and lifeless this way (at least to me )

sorry I just had to put that out there,

I guess that's why DO doesn't do that ;) lol

Yeah I get what you mean, since they aren't in a clear container I couldn't get pics of them in the water where their changes were, without accidentally putting my iPad in the water @-@

They really look great and vibrant. But, is it green water that caused the colors to pop or exposure to more natural light or both?

They really look great and vibrant. But, is it green water that caused the colors to pop or exposure to more natural light or both?

It started with the sunlight, I noticed some colors getting brighter, but as soon as the water turned green everyone's colors just started popping and getting deeper and more vibrant. I first noticed on Nova, who was losing his black even being outside, then with the green water his blacks became matte and more and more black patches popped up. They go hand in hand, but with the thickness of the green water I'm not sure how much sun they actually got (;

I do wonder how it happens. Newt becomes very red/white in the summer when his tank gets light.

I do wonder how it happens. Newt becomes very red/white in the summer when his tank gets light.

The way I understand it, it's the same reason people tan or burn in the sun. The melanin in their bodies must react similarly to light, making their colors deeper.