Sign in to follow this  
Orangebetsy

Can Eating Algae lead to overeating?

I have my single young fantail, name is Blub, in a 10 gallon now, but his new 55 gallon is just about cycled! I like the look of algae, and Blub has taken a liking to it---however is there a possibility of him overeating? i feed him soaked hikari, peas, and occasional bloodworms from hikari. he's eaten today but is going nuts on the algae. little lines where he's nosed up and down! it's cute but i know goldfish dont seem to have a self-regulator when it comes to eating....should i curtail the algae or just let him go?

Algae is a great food for them if its the green kind. It will help him poop :thumb:

Algae is a natural food for goldfish, but it takes a lot of work to get a meal's worth. That's why goldfish want to eat all day. They have to if they aren't being fed pellets -- a day's worth of dehydrated food in one little swallow. You may overfeed your fish with pellets, but not with algae.

I'm wondering how to encourage growth of green algae in my 55; right now all I get is diatoms. :<

More light and more time.

If he eats a lot of algae, I would simply cut down on the pellets a bit. Maybe feed only half as much as you used to :)