Planted my tank while the goldfish are away

bubbles22

My bf agreed to babysit my fish in his tank until I fixed my pH problem. I finally stabilized everything so I took advantage of the situation and planted my tank! It's been almost a month and the plants are settling in well. I'm expecting more soon~ I think I'm addicted. I may switch the bacopa australis for a nice carpet of baby dwarf tears or some type of moss for a dark green underwater forest look. I'm not sure if I'm really into the amazon swords either so I'm also looking for some nice foreground plants. Any suggestions?

Here's my progress so far:

IMG_8075_zpsd80612c7.jpg

It looks amazing!! tell us more about your set up! what kind of lights? do you use co2?

i love planted tanks. i'm sure it's going to look fantastic once everything grows in (and if the goldies don't make a snack out of everything :P)

the amazon swords will get huge, so i don't think they're a great foreground plant. They look great in your tank though so maybe move them to the back? I've had luck with chain swords as a foreground and they do spread into a nice carpet.however, they're pretty slow growers in lower light. dwarf sag is another great carpeting plant.

Edited by sarajo

It looks amazing!! tell us more about your set up! what kind of lights? do you use co2?

i love planted tanks. i'm sure it's going to look fantastic once everything grows in (and if the goldies don't make a snack out of everything :P)

the amazon swords will get huge, so i don't think they're a great foreground plant. They look great in your tank though so maybe move them to the back? I've had luck with chain swords as a foreground and they do spread into a nice carpet.however, they're pretty slow growers in lower light. dwarf sag is another great carpeting plant.

I wasn't planning on planting this tank at first so my lighting isn't that great. I have an Aqueon modular led light fixture with and a Marineland hidden led light. The modular fixture has two colormax lamps though so it helps with the plants :D I don't use co2, but I do dose Fluorish excel. I was looking through plants online and the chain swords did catch my eye ;D I'm not sure if my lights will be enough for it to grow rapidly but I think I'd be fine with it just covering a small patch hehe.

And I'm very nervous about bringing my goldfish back -___- They're rowdy little buggers. I shall take an "after" picture once they're home lol.

It looks great! :)

How is the pH situation?

Thank you! The pH situation has been resolved, finally! Turns out I was dosing the incorrect amount of water conditioner -____-. I switched to a new brand and must've confused the Liter and Gallon units and overdosed. Silly me :P

Looks amazing :D

Thanks! (:

What conditioner did you use?

Any conditioner that affects pH should definitely be avoided. :o

I used Amquel plus ammonia detoxifier. It was recommended to me by the owner of the LFS I usually go to. I think I just added too much of it D:

That's really odd, because these conditioners can be added 3-5x the recommended dosage.

Regardless, I am happy that you figured out what it was. :)

That's true, as long as you stuck to dosing once every 24 hours. Guess what I did though..... I was doing a lot of 50% water changes for the ich treatment so the water I treated to put in the tank was more than enough for the whole tank. I changed the water once every 12 hours so I used up quite a lot of conditioner. It might have helped if I didn't misread the dosage either haha.

And thanks, I was starting to think my water was unsuitable to keep goldfish and was about to give up D:

that looks really lovely! I think, when I return to the hobby, I will be going with sand and planted, even if the goldies like to have a nibble. :)

It's been 24 hours since the GF have been back :D I'm happy to report that the plants are still intact. It seemed to help that they were all well-rooted before the fish were reintroduced. The goldies do nibble here and there but aren't really interested in eating anything. The snails are new to them so they do glomp on the snails thinking they're food. It's kinda cute lol. My new plants won't arrive until next week, but here are some pictures! I also got a new oranda! Well, I kinda fishnapped him from my boyfriend's tank. I like to think he just wanted to tag along. Three's a crowd for now, but I'll be taking on a summer pond project so that's where he'll go.

The tank untouched after 24 hours:

qlA1y9L.jpg

Arnie, the new oranda:

rxKaXv5.jpg

Caught Arnie nibbling on the bacopa aus.(he released it after a small nibble):

m62lHfI.jpg

Arnie looking totally guilty:

OmsFcnp.jpg

Looks great! :clapping:

If you're still looking to switch out the swords, perhaps you could consider replacing it with downoi (Pogostemon helferi)? It gets wide, not tall, so it makes for an ideal foreground plant.

Looks great! :clapping:

If you're still looking to switch out the swords, perhaps you could consider replacing it with downoi (Pogostemon helferi)? It gets wide, not tall, so it makes for an ideal foreground plant.

Thank you! :D I just googled pogostemon helferi and it looks amazing *-*

And I would get more plants, but I'm actually trying to have less now -____- My tank looks like a jungle with so many plant species. Although my goldfish stopped eating the plants, they are a little too rough with the more delicate plants, causing the leftover plant debris to clog up my filter so yeah ): I'm going to stick with just the lace java fern, ludwigia, elodea, and bacopa australis (: