Amano or Cherry Shrimp

Evening

Looking for some good shrimp to help keep the tanks clean. Nobody in my area keeps anything but ghost shrimp and bamboo shrimp, and prices online are utterly exorbitant, even without the really high shipping.

Anyone with shrimp to sell can pm me for details or just post here.

Edited by Evening

Is this for a goldfish tank? Or do you keep tropicals as well? You could probably ask your LFS to order some in for you. Don't put them in a goldfish tak though, there are other things like apple snails, nerite snails, or bristlenose plecos that can help clean a goldfish tank of algae, but you need to make sure you have room for them first.

Is this for a goldfish tank? Or do you keep tropicals as well? You could probably ask your LFS to order some in for you. Don't put them in a goldfish tak though, there are other things like apple snails, nerite snails, or bristlenose plecos that can help clean a goldfish tank of algae, but you need to make sure you have room for them first.

Oh no, I would never keep shrimp with goldfish. I have a 40 gallon tropical tank and a 10 gallon growout tank that I want to keep a small colony of shrimp on, mostly to keep the plants clean.

I just see them on Craigslist once in a while, sometimes in the farm and garden section where the pond people list.

That might be because "the Shrimp Farm" is up in Sanford, or Deland I believe. Good guy, also a hobbyist from TPT. BTW, we share the same town. :) Edited by waterfaller1

I have kept both and my opinion is that cherries are generally more community friendly - amano shrimp are pretty greedy and will grab and claim food competitively while cherries are much more laid back. Cherries are also more high impact visually and will reproduce (amanos will not).

Amano shrimp are famous for being used in planted tanks but they wont really remove algae (no shrimp really will) they just slow it/reduce new algae forming by their constant grazing action.

The best thing about Amanos is theyre almost indestructable in my experience where as Cherries can be more sensitive to nitrate buildups etc.