what is this? sore?

cathys

yeah got my metro med and medi gold in the mail today. now what ? I thought one was for water and one was food but they're both food. so do I just pick one and feed. or feed both together?? How's this work? Gotta get my big girl healed up !!! oh and do I take the salt out? or keep it up

oh and how do I store this food? in the frig? in the freezer? how long is it good for? I think I bought too much!!! I was so anxious I ordered the 12oz bags !!!

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's fine. Just keep it somewhere cool and dry. :)

Go ahead and start feeding them, please.

feed both? metro med says feed no other food except metro med for 14 days ?

It's fine. Just keep it somewhere cool and dry. :)

Go ahead and start feeding them, please.

feed both? metro med says feed no other food except metro med for 14 days ?

how much how many times a day? she gets floaty pretty easy.....

don't have a scale but I can check and see if walmart has any. i'll get back with you. should I just feed her some now until I get a scale ?

ok how do I weigh her? in a container weigh it with water then with her in the water i'm assuming? thanks for your help. i'll try and get the scale after work tomorrow or early in am before work. i'll give her 5 more in the morning.

ok how do I weigh her? in a container weigh it with water then with her in the water i'm assuming? thanks for your help. i'll try and get the scale after work tomorrow or early in am before work. i'll give her 5 more in the morning.

Exactly this way. :)

Good luck. Until then, just aim for 15 pellets daily, but break it up into as many meals as you can, especially because she has floaty issues.

Exactly this way. :)

Good luck. Until then, just aim for 15 pellets daily, but break it up into as many meals as you can, especially because she has floaty issues.

will do and i'll get back to you after I weigh her thanks !!!!

I got the only food scale they had at walmart. got a weight of approximately 165grams. weighed her in a 1 gal bucket with water. that was 800grams. took her out and weighed again. it was less than 650. i'll try and locate a better scale.

I think that's about right, although I am not sure you are going to be able to feed her 60 pellets a day :o

is that what she should normally be fed? 15 is more than I normally feed her. I usually feed her some pro gold in the morning then veggies in evening or a big clump of lettuce/spinach for her to munch on during the day. I must be starving her !!! and question...what about the salting should I keep that up at .3 or cut back ?

Edited by cathys

I want to treat my main tank with prazi and salt before I return her to it. i'll need to pull the plants out and treat them also. Is there a pinned article on treating the plants? I know there's one on the prazi salt treatment.

Let me address the feeding issue first: the number I gave you is only necessary during the times when they are being treated for sickness, because we want to get enough meds into their tissues to be effective. Otherwise, there is not reason to feed that much, especially if you are not aiming for a lot of growth. She is already a decent sized fish, and doesn't necessarily need to grow much bigger. :)

I want to treat my main tank with prazi and salt before I return her to it. i'll need to pull the plants out and treat them also. Is there a pinned article on treating the plants? I know there's one on the prazi salt treatment.

Plants can be treated with Prazi as well, although without a fish host, the parasites really can't stick around. So, if you just isolate the plants for long enough, they will be just fine, even without treatments. :)

How is your fish? :)

Let me address the feeding issue first: the number I gave you is only necessary during the times when they are being treated for sickness, because we want to get enough meds into their tissues to be effective. Otherwise, there is not reason to feed that much, especially if you are not aiming for a lot of growth. She is already a decent sized fish, and doesn't necessarily need to grow much bigger. :)

Plants can be treated with Prazi as well, although without a fish host, the parasites really can't stick around. So, if you just isolate the plants for long enough, they will be just fine, even without treatments. :)

How is your fish? :)

she's floaty :( only been feeding the 15 a day broken into 5 feedings. I will try and feed more today and tomorrow being off I can give more feedings but if she gets too bad i'll have to stop won't I. can she go for two weeks like that? since I started the MM I haven't seen any poop though I haven't emptied the filter either but usually when I do the water change she goes.

What do you do in cases of constipation for her? Try to do that, too while feeding her MMs.

You can give her many small meals during the day. This is actually the better thing to do. How is that sore by her side?

What do you do in cases of constipation for her? Try to do that, too while feeding her MMs.

You can give her many small meals during the day. This is actually the better thing to do. How is that sore by her side?

the sore I think is starting to look better.

normally to keep her non floatly I just feed pellets(pro gold) in morning then have red leaf lettuce available all the time. that's the staple then I also feed spinach,broccoli,mango,blood worms etc those are periodically though. once a week usually. anyway if she gets floaty i'll not feed her for 3 days then peas. that usually works. so what do you sugguest because she'll just get floaty again feeding her only MM at that amount no matter how many feedings. during the week I can only manage 5 feedings unless I set my alarm and get up in middle of the night. I plan on treating the main tank with prazi/salt while she's in quarantine. without any plants i'll most likely have to change the water every 4 days. i'll have to read the prazi/salt treatment thread again.

LOL I wouldn't go out of your way, like setting alarms to do this...the idea is that during YOUR waking hours to give her little meals, but it's not meant to be more work for you. :)

See if you can sneak in a red leaf lettuce each day. :)

LOL I wouldn't go out of your way, like setting alarms to do this...the idea is that during YOUR waking hours to give her little meals, but it's not meant to be more work for you. :)

See if you can sneak in a red leaf lettuce each day. :)

question how much should I normally feed her ? of the pro gold ? It's hard because I have 3 goldies and she's the pig of the group. the black moor has already grown since I took Bobbie out of the 75gal !!! Poor guy I think he's about blind with those giant eyes. actually the one looks like it's covered over but hard to tell with the solid black and constant movement !

question. on the 7 day round prazi/salt it has instructions to add prazi/salt day 1 then on day 2 add prazi again making it a double dose . on subsequent days(8,15,22,29 & 36) when prazi added is it single dose or double? on the 7 day is the salt .1% or .3% because at beginning of article says if double dosing to do .3% salt.

question. on the 7 day round prazi/salt it has instructions to add prazi/salt day 1 then on day 2 add prazi again making it a double dose . on subsequent days(8,15,22,29 & 36) when prazi added is it single dose or double? on the 7 day is the salt .1% or .3% because at beginning of article says if double dosing to do .3% salt.

another question.....plants can't take any salt ?

I don't think that scale I bought is accurate. at 283 grams or just under 300 was 45 tsps. ? if 1 tsp per gal then that would be way short to treat my 75 gal? I think I better return the scale and find one that's accurate !

Try a different scale if you like. :)

Some plants deal with salt better than others. If you list what plants you have, members on the forum will tell you their salt tolerance. :)

on the 7 day salt/prazi schedule it says to treat treat prazi 1st and 2nd day meaning to start it's a double dose but the rest of the time after water changes it's just a single dose correct ?

and

.1% salt the whole time???? I got a little confused.

Yes, the rest of the time only a single dose.

The salt is to facilitate healing, and to serve as a small antimicrobial. I didn't mention it to you, because you are already feeding antibiotics. :)