Sign in to follow this  
cathys

what is this? sore?

Which part of the fin was that that fell off? :o

Which part of the fin was that that fell off? :o

I don't know. maybe if I look at a lot of old pics I can figure it out. only thing I see is he only has one of those tiny fins by his tail on one side but I don't remember if he even had one on the other side. i'll get that video link on here shortly.

have you ever heard of a fin falling off like that before? my daughters a vet and she said the only thing she can think of is a blood clot at that spot?
this 2nd one was taken two days ago so maybe we can see where it came from. do you see anything different (missing) on her in the first video compared to the second video? sorry meant she in previous post instead of he. all my other goldies have been boys. Edited by cathys

it looks like it came from the tail. but how bizzar is that? the only full orange part from root to tip and it falls off? i find that really odd :(

I know. :( I feel like i'm in a bad movie.

Edited by cathys

I do not have any experience with Amquel Plus. I use Seachem Prime. Why don't you switch? With Prime, you can dose up to 5x the amount without it affecting the pH.

Like I said, you shouldn't even have to use any kind of buffer with your kH being as it is. Let's switch to Prime and see what happens.

on the prime doesn't it test false positive on the ammonia? So how would I know what I actually have in there ?

Prime does not test false positive if you are using API drops. :D

Prime does not test positive for ammonia. I had discussed this with Seachem, and the unequivocal answer is that if there is no ammonia, Prime will not cause any tests to show up as positive for ammonia. The issue is this: Prime detoxifies ammonia, and converts it temporarily into a non-toxic form to fish. However, on a regular ammonia test, you will of course still get ammonia readings, because unless the test specifically identifies toxic ammonia, it will pick up everything. :)

There are a couple of instances where the fin can fall off, such as an infection across part of the fin, or actual physical damage.

My suggestion is to keep with the 0.3% salt and daily WCs until your meds arrive, at which time we should switch to it. The ulcer doesn't look worse, but it has not really improved.

Prime does not test positive for ammonia. I had discussed this with Seachem, and the unequivocal answer is that if there is no ammonia, Prime will not cause any tests to show up as positive for ammonia. The issue is this: Prime detoxifies ammonia, and converts it temporarily into a non-toxic form to fish. However, on a regular ammonia test, you will of course still get ammonia readings, because unless the test specifically identifies toxic ammonia, it will pick up everything. :)

There are a couple of instances where the fin can fall off, such as an infection across part of the fin, or actual physical damage.

My suggestion is to keep with the 0.3% salt and daily WCs until your meds arrive, at which time we should switch to it. The ulcer doesn't look worse, but it has not really improved.

so if my tap has ammonia and I treat with prime and then test it....it will show the tap ammonia even though it is non toxic to fish. if that is true how will I know if the ammonia showing on subsequent tests is the toxic or nontoxic ammonia. since my qt tank cycle messed up and is showing ammonia,nitrite and nitrate. I may go ahead and switch to all new filter material as suggested but was hoping the cycle would complete in a few days.

Edited by Helen
fixed post

so if my tap has ammonia and I treat with prime and then test it....it will show the tap ammonia even though it is non toxic to fish. if that is true how will I know if the ammonia showing on subsequent tests is the toxic or nontoxic ammonia.

That is exactly right.

You can be assured, based on the chemistry of Prime, and from Seachem, that Prime will last for AT LEAST 24 hours. This is why I recommended double dosing, AND 100% WCs daily. This means that you will never have to worry about toxicities, as long as you do it this way. :)

since my qt tank cycle messed up and is showing ammonia,nitrite and nitrate. I may go ahead and switch to all new filter material as suggested but was hoping the cycle would complete in a few days.

The cycle might complete in a few days, but if you continue to use the same media, I can guarantee you that nitrites will shoot up above 1ppm every day. So you are better off just not even bothering to cycle, and just go with daily WCs. The other reason why I suggested this is because fresh water alone daily is one of the best treatments a fish can get. :)

so if my tap has ammonia and I treat with prime and then test it....it will show the tap ammonia even though it is non toxic to fish. if that is true how will I know if the ammonia showing on subsequent tests is the toxic or nontoxic ammonia. since my qt tank cycle messed up and is showing ammonia,nitrite and nitrate. I may go ahead and switch to all new filter material as suggested but was hoping the cycle would complete in a few days.

thanks i'll keep up as is and sswitch to meds when they get here. thanks for all your help. i'll do an update after meds.

I just thought you might be interested about testing for ammonia when using a water conditioner such as Prime, that detoxifies ammonia. The conditioner binds the free ammonia into ammonium (which is non-toxic but will still be consumed by the biological filtration). Test kits that use Nessler's reagent will give a reading for total ammonia, eg, both free ammonia and ammonium, without differentiating between the two. And of course, as you pointed out, that can be problematic because you could miss an ammonia spike. However, this is not the case for all test kits. Dry tablet test kits can be used (although not super easy to find for sale) and, from what I've read, so can test kits that use a salicyclate reagent. According to google API drops are a salicyclate reagent. I also use a condtioner that binds ammonia (Erase-CL), which presents the same problem with testing. However, the API kit works fine. I have tested our tap water which usually has about 1 ppm of ammonia in it, dechlorinated it, and then tested again immediately, and it reads 0.

I just thought you might be interested about testing for ammonia when using a water conditioner such as Prime, that detoxifies ammonia. The conditioner binds the free ammonia into ammonium (which is non-toxic but will still be consumed by the biological filtration). Test kits that use Nessler's reagent will give a reading for total ammonia, eg, both free ammonia and ammonium, without differentiating between the two. And of course, as you pointed out, that can be problematic because you could miss an ammonia spike. However, this is not the case for all test kits. Dry tablet test kits can be used (although not super easy to find for sale) and, from what I've read, so can test kits that use a salicyclate reagent. According to google API drops are a salicyclate reagent. I also use a condtioner that binds ammonia (Erase-CL), which presents the same problem with testing. However, the API kit works fine. I have tested our tap water which usually has about 1 ppm of ammonia in it, dechlorinated it, and then tested again immediately, and it reads 0.

thanks for the input. so you don't use any filter to get the ammonia out you just use the additive? what do you do to handle the nitrates? as the ammonium is still broken down into nitrates(in the end).

I'm not really sure what wen73 is trying to say. We do know this:

- nessler based ammonia tests, such as the strips, will cause a misreading.

- salicylate based tests, such as the API tests, do not cause misreadings. It can't differentiate between toxic versus non-toxic ammonia, though.

I use only the api drop test kits

I use only the api drop test kits

I know, which was why I wasn't worried about misreadings to begin with :D

I switched back to amquel on the 10 gal because I want to see a reading of .25 or less until tank finishes cycling. i'll use the prime on my two cycled tanks :krazy: reading after 100% with 2 tsps. amquel plus are < .25 ammonia, 0 nitrite, < 5.0 nitrate.

thanks for the input. so you don't use any filter to get the ammonia out you just use the additive? what do you do to handle the nitrates? as the ammonium is still broken down into nitrates(in the end)

No, I don't filter out the ammonia. I simply neutralise it with the Erase-CL. In terms of the extra nitrate down the line from the bio filter using up the ammonia that originates in the tap water, I don't really do anything special. I have plants in the tank (elodea) and do 2-3 water changes a week (while siphoning the tank), 25% each. My nitrates usually measure about 10 ppm, which isn't too bad since the tap water already has 5 ppm in it. However, the ammonia level in our tap water varies from 0-1ppm, and I think you mentioned transiently much higher levels in your tap water, which obviously would have a greater impact on nitrate.

Just to clarify, a dry tablet test kit will only measure free ammonia. I have read conflicting things about whether a salicyclate reagent such as API drops gives a reading for total ammonia or free ammonia, so I'm not a hundred percent sure either way.

Hope things are going well with your fishy!

Wen, if you read up above, I posted that I have actually discussed this with the tech support from Seachem (and API), the test kit determines TOTAL AMMONIA.

Please be advised that both Prime and Amquel also temporarily detoxify ammonia.

Wen, if you read up above, I posted that I have actually discussed this with the tech support from Seachem (and API), the test kit determines TOTAL AMMONIA.

My apologies. From the way your post above is worded I understood you to mean something different.

It is good to know you have discussed this with API and established that their test reads total ammonia and does not differentiate between free ammonia and bound ammonium.

In trying to find and answer to that question by googling I have read many conflicting things, so I shall now consider that question answered, Thank you.

You're welcome. :)

Unless the test specifically says that it only detects toxic ammonia, or a specific species of ammonia, you should assume that the test measures TOTAL ammonia, and does not give you any indication that it's bound or not. :)

Please be advised that both Prime and Amquel also temporarily detoxify ammonia.

really? I thought amquel detoxified it permanently. good to know.

There is some confusion to this. I am waiting to hear back from Kordon. :)

There is some confusion to this. I am waiting to hear back from Kordon. :)

that would be great ! and I reread your post about putting new filter media in the qt tank to avoid the nitrite spike. I don't know but that message must not have sank in the first time. I took out the old media and added new. I hope to get the meds today !!! keeping my fingers crossed.

yeah got my metro med and medi gold in the mail today. now what ? I thought one was for water and one was food but they're both food. so do I just pick one and feed. or feed both together?? How's this work? Gotta get my big girl healed up !!! oh and do I take the salt out? or keep it up