Sign in to follow this  
cathys

what is this? sore?

No, buffers don't work like that lol.

It doesn't just raise a point from a starting point. The reason why I suggested baking soda is that it doesn't raise pH above 8-8.2. So, if you add about 1 teaspoon at each WC, the pH should remain at tap water level, hopefully until the next WC. You may need to adjust the dose and add more.

Go ahead and order Metro-Meds and Medi-Gold from goldfishconnection.com, please.

added the coral 1/2 cup will check ph around 10

I think for your situation, the coral is a nice addition, but I wouldn't expect for it to be doing much in such a short period of time, unfortunately. :(

I think for your situation, the coral is a nice addition, but I wouldn't expect for it to be doing much in such a short period of time, unfortunately. :(

I really didn't think it would either :(. well ordered the metro meds and medi gold don't think they'll ship until monday though.

It's fine. :)

just checked ph in 10 gal it was down o 6.4. last night it was 6.8 or 7.0. I was thinking about ordering some wonder shells but see they have to be replaced every week. what is it in them that keeps the ph stable? the calcium? I read reviews on pet mountain and people are using the giant size in aquariums around 40 gal. so would I need two giant for the 75 gal?

Those wonder shells won't last you that long, I'm afraid. I've used them before, and it was more like two days.

Just a note on pH buffering. There are to systems that are often used to buffer aquariums: phosphates or carbonate/bicarbonates. The shells, along with the crushed coral and the alkaline buffer, all use carbonates/bicarbonates.

Could you do this for me? Could you:

1. Call your water utility and ask them what the alkalinity of the water is?

2. Put about 5 gallons of water in a tub (no fish) with an airstone, check the pH and kH, and then do the same the next day?

I have never seen anyone with such a high alkalinity in the tap, only to have it vanish overnight before. :(

i've called the city before. had to give them a message for the water guy who i left a message with and he never called back. did that twice.

i'll do the 5 gal test. maybe i'm just feeding too much and that's causing the ph to decrease ?

The seachem buffers. Says to use alkaline with the acid buffer. I don't really understand that. Directions say to add 1 level tsp of alkaline buffer per 10 gal of water per day until it reaches desired ph level. after that it says if your tap water is not well buffered to use with the acid buffer. has a chart on the side of bottle. to get 7.5 buffered water 1 acid to 2.5 alkaline buffer. Are you saying my tap water has high enough alkalinity that the water should be buffered and ph shouldn't drop ? I guess the baking soda does the exact same thing ? I really want to understand the buffering.

The ratios of alkaline:acidic buffer is to get you to the exact pH that you want. However, what I don't understand is why you don't use Seachem Gold Buffer. It buffers at pH 7.8, which is your tap pH. Yes, baking soda does the same thing, and the buffers are essentially prettied versions of baking soda.

i just read on thread started by bubbles about her ph that she figured out she was using too much amquel plus. i may be doing that with my tap water having 1.0 ammonia i usually add twice required amt. Last couple times i changed the

water i wanted to do a 100 percent so i hooked the rv/garden hose onto sink tap and ran that into the tank and added a double dose probably 3 times but not all at once. i was pumping water out the window while i was running clean tap water into it.....which would be 6 times the normal dose !!! i'll not do that again !! i just figured the amquel was being pumped out as i was adding untreated tap water and should add more as it got to a certain level in the tank......last dose of amquel i added was after i stopped pumping out water.

The ratios of alkaline:acidic buffer is to get you to the exact pH that you want. However, what I don't understand is why you don't use Seachem Gold Buffer. It buffers at pH 7.8, which is your tap pH. Yes, baking soda does the same thing, and the buffers are essentially prettied versions of baking soda.

i usually order on foster and smith and they don't carry the seachem gold for some reason....i guess because they make more selling two things instead of one ! If the baking soda does the same thing i'll use it if needed. i certainly don't need to be throwing money out. thanks for the info !!!

I do not have any experience with Amquel Plus. I use Seachem Prime. Why don't you switch? With Prime, you can dose up to 5x the amount without it affecting the pH.

Like I said, you shouldn't even have to use any kind of buffer with your kH being as it is. Let's switch to Prime and see what happens.

ok I do have prime. I just did a 100% on the 10 gal qt tank. added 3x amquel (3 tsps.) and ammonia still tested at .25 !! I have to get a water filter that takes out ammonia or I don't know what i'll do when the tap ammonia shoots up to 8 like it did last fall !! Can't believe any of my fish are still alive after that episode.

Unless your tap is much higher than 1 ppm, let your biological filter handle the increase.

Let's switch to Prime as soon as you are able. :)

Unless your tap is much higher than 1 ppm, let your biological filter handle the increase.

Let's switch to Prime as soon as you are able. :)

will do thanks

so somehow I managed to put a big bump in my qt cycle. I've been having readings of ammonia,nitrite and nitrate. 100% change yesterday ending with .25 ammonia as my tap has 1.0 ammonia or maybe more. this am checked parameters. ammonia .50, nitirite 2.0 or more and nitrate 5.0ppm. So I changed a third without adding salt back in thinking maybe I should just move Bobbie back to the main tank as the stress of an uncycled qt tank may be worse than being in the main tank. opinions? or I could switch the hob filter with the one on the 75 gal but do not want to mess it up !

The better option is just to change out 100% of the water daily (do two back to back 80% to avoid having to take him out). This is actually the best way to treat a healing fish, and is nice because you don't have to worry about the cycle. I would put the media in that filter back where they belong, or throw them away. Put new media in and use it as a waste siphon, and something to move the water in the tank.

Double Prime at every WC, please.

How is your fish? May we see a pic or two?

The better option is just to change out 100% of the water daily (do two back to back 80% to avoid having to take him out). This is actually the best way to treat a healing fish, and is nice because you don't have to worry about the cycle. I would put the media in that filter back where they belong, or throw them away. Put new media in and use it as a waste siphon, and something to move the water in the tank.

i'll try and post one. have to change water in 46 and 75 and give allergy dog bath with his special shampoo and doo my weekly laudry :)

i'll try and post one. have to change water in 46 and 75 and give allergy dog bath with his special shampoo and doo my weekly laudry :)

and keep up the,3 salt with the 80% changes back to back?

Yes, please.

If you are doing the back to back WCs, this is what I would do:

1. Empty 80% the first time.

2. Add 0.5x Prime, and then refill. We only add the 0.5x because we just want to dechlorinate will we do the 2nd change.

3. Empty 80% the second time.

4. Add 2x Prime, and then fill.

5. Add the amount necessary for 0.3% (9 tablespoons for 10g). Put that in a pantyhose end and hang it in the tank to let it dissolve on its own. :)

Yes, please.

If you are doing the back to back WCs, this is what I would do:

1. Empty 80% the first time.

2. Add 0.5x Prime, and then refill. We only add the 0.5x because we just want to dechlorinate will we do the 2nd change.

3. Empty 80% the second time.

4. Add 2x Prime, and then fill.

5. Add the amount necessary for 0.3% (9 tablespoons for 10g). Put that in a pantyhose end and hang it in the tank to let it dissolve on its own. :)

ok I've been changing then take out a pitcher full add salt to it until it dissolves then add back but your way is less work : ) good ole pantyhose. useful for so many things :)

DSC01185.jpg?t=1364151830 sorry giant pic. of bobbies fin fell off !!! will try and post the links of the other 3 pics i have on photobucket. http://s1215.photobucket.com/user/cathy00776/media/DSC01180.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1#/user/cathy00776/media/DSC01180.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1&_suid=136415287046109890214412225462

http://s1215.photobu...890214412225462 http://s1215.photobu...890214412225462

http://s1215.photobucket.com/user/cathy00776/media/DSC01180.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1#/user/cathy00776/media/DSC01175.jpg.html?sort=3&o=4&_suid=136415287046109890214412225462

here are other to photobucket links different shots of Bobbie's sore today. also have a video i'll load to youtube but will take awhile.

Edited by cathys

http://s1215.photobu...890214412225462 http://s1215.photobu...890214412225462

http://s1215.photobu...890214412225462

here are other to photobucket links different shots of Bobbie's sore today. also have a video i'll load to youtube but will take awhile. What is going on ? why did she loose her fin ? :no: