Sign in to follow this  
cathys

what is this? sore?

Cathy,I was just reading your test results and noticed that your reading for Ammonia from the tap is 1.0 is that right or a typo?

that is correct. : ( it's gone up as high as 8 before !!!! that was in the fall when the farmers were adding anhydrous ammonia to the fields

around the lake where our city water comes from !!! how stupid is that?

Let's not add the buffer for now, please, because there is something very strange going on in the tank. At 120+ ppm kH, your pH should stay rock solid. The fact that it's slipping concerns me. So, let's just chart this out in the next few days, and see what's going on, if you don't mind.

i'll leave it for tonight and test in morning before work. if it bottoms out the buffer is going in because i won't have time for a water change at that time and don't want to let it go all day.

it has crashed to the bottom of the chart before. if you can figure out what's going on i would be so appreciative. all i can figure is im not getting it cleaned enough.

Cathy,I was just reading your test results and noticed that your reading for Ammonia from the tap is 1.0 is that right or a typo?

that is correct. : ( it's gone up as high as 8 before !!!! that was in the fall when the farmers were adding anhydrous ammonia to the fields

around the lake where our city water comes from !!! how stupid is that?

VERY stupid!!!

ok this morning I tested the ph and it bottomed out at 6.00 !! I added the seachem alkaline buffer 7 level teaspoons. tonight did tests again. ph 7.2, kh 35.8-53.7(started turning color at 2 drops but all the way changed at 3 drops), gh 179 - 196, ammonia .25, nitrite 0 and nitrate 0. don't know if I crashed the cycle or what. I took the one 350 hob off to use on the qt tank. I also rinsed out the filter media in tank water and emptied the dirty water out of the hob filters and refilled with tank water. i'll test the ph again in the morning. tomorrow evening i'll do all the tests again.

You didn't crash the cycle, but something is messing your pH. Could you please take pics or videos of your set up, and long with a list of what goes in there, please?

How is the sore?

check out a video I posted recently in thread...."Add Your Tank(S) Pics Here,Please in Planted Tank Photos started by dnalex 22 sept 2011. It's on last page I believe page 10. It's a pretty simple set up right now. 3 basket rena filter (bottom basket has the spongy pads x 3, middle has the bio stars and balls and top just has the wool filter floss). two 350 penguin bio wheels with blue/white filter pads with some bamboo and spider plants. tank 75 gal had a couple rocks that I tested, a bridge decoration, a heater and some plants. has 4 bags of eco complete. I did have some chemi pure chemical filtration in the rena but took it out when I did the prazi pro. I usually have charcoal in the hob filters but took that out when prazi done. i'll check the ph before work in morning then again after work along with the other readings. will try to get a pic of Bobbis sore and post tomorrow evening.

Do you mind putting in here? I'd like to have it all in one place, and I won't be only one looking. For things like this, there are others on the mod team and on the forum who are much better than I. I'd like to get their input without making them jump all over the place, if that makes sense.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/86bLr8X9hXo?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gnwfs4y2I-o?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1st link is Bobbie in QT trying to show sore today.

2nd link is the 75 gal taken march 3

turn down your volume on 2nd video it's super loud ....sorry.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.c...ayer_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.c...ayer_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1st link is Bobbie in QT trying to show sore today.

2nd link is the 75 gal taken march 3

turn down your volume on 2nd video it's super loud ....sorry.

parameters tonight on 75gal are : ph 7.6, gh 179, kh 53.7-71.6, ammonia 0, nitrite 0 and nitrate 5.0ppm

Is salt now at 0.3%? Give him/her a couple more days to continue healing.

Do you have Metro-Meds or Medi-Gold?

Is salt now at 0.3%? Give him/her a couple more days to continue healing.

Do you have Metro-Meds or Medi-Gold?

yes salt is at .3% no I have none of those meds and don't know where to get them? can they be ordered on line? is the Morton canning and pickling salt safe? I was going to buy some it's much cheaper than the aquarium salt I've been using. ingredients just said "salt".

Edited by cathys

Cathy! your fish are adorable :heart

i wonder if adding some crushed coral to the filter will help to keep the KH stable which should give strength to the PH? are you able to get crushed coral from the LPS/LFS?

just tested the qt tank ph and it was at bottom of scale yellow. I just did a 100 % water change last night! added 1/4 tsp alkaline buffer that brought it up to 6.8. I will test again this evening. tested the kh and it was 35.8. tap kh was 53.7 (3 drops green/yellow) 71.6(4 drops yellow) must have a bump in cycle when I moved the biowheel from 75 gal to qt tank as the nitrite is .25-.50 (after 5 minutes went to .50). nitrates between a 5 and 10.

Cathy! your fish are adorable :heart i wonder if adding some crushed coral to the filter will help to keep the KH stable which should give strength to the PH? are you able to get crushed coral from the LPS/LFS?
I do have crushed coral but had a reaction to it the last time I used it. I will wear gloves and try in the 10 gal for now since i'm having trouble with the ph in it also. see my next post. how much should I use in the 10 gal?

Cathy! your fish are adorable :heart i wonder if adding some crushed coral to the filter will help to keep the KH stable which should give strength to the PH? are you able to get crushed coral from the LPS/LFS?
I do have crushed coral but had a reaction to it the last time I used it. I will wear gloves and try in the 10 gal for now since i'm having trouble with the ph in it also. see my next post. how much should I use in the 10 gal?

a reaction to crushed coral? oh hun, that's insane! i am so sorry. can someone else add it for you?

what sort of filter do you have in the 10gal? or are we going without filter for now?

i would just put half a cup full in some pantyhose and add it into the tank. the coral will need to be rinsed well, very well as it will cloud up the water very fast. check first if someone can do this for you and then all you have to do is place it into the tank.

if you have a filter which you can add it to, even better, but, it will still need to be rinsed first.

if adding to the tank, i would begin by adding an extra airstone and placing the crushed coral pouch on top of the airstone (but only if you have a second airstone in there). do not cover the primary airstone if there is no filtration in the tank.

off to work back this evening !

off to work back this evening !

i wish you a productive day :)

Cathy,

Instead of the alkaline buffer, I'd like to use baking soda. What do you think?

Morton's Canning & Pickling salt is what I've been using for the last 2 years and more, when I learned about it here. (Thanks, Fang!)

a reaction to crushed coral? oh hun, that's insane! i am so sorry. can someone else add it for you?

what sort of filter do you have in the 10gal? or are we going without filter for now?

i would just put half a cup full in some pantyhose and add it into the tank. the coral will need to be rinsed well, very well as it will cloud up the water very fast. check first if someone can do this for you and then all you have to do is place it into the tank.

if you have a filter which you can add it to, even better, but, it will still need to be rinsed first.

if adding to the tank, i would begin by adding an extra airstone and placing the crushed coral pouch on top of the airstone (but only if you have a second airstone in there). do not cover the primary airstone if there is no filtration in the tank.

I moved one of my 350 penquin biowheels from the 75 gal to the 10gal but I wasn't thinking and added cold water (put bobbie in tank water in a bucket to do 100% change) thinking I would heat it up with the tank heater then remembered some of the cycling bacteria if not all does not like cold water !!! argh..... and I heard the nitrsomas? doesn't take well to the salt water. anyway too late now. this morning the ammonia was zero, nitrite .25 - .50 and nitrates 10 so it wasn't a complete crash. I think I can wear gloves and do the coral. i'm already recovering from an allergic reaction to either the new bamboo socks I got in Chicago or the Bactrim I was on. i'll be very careful. don't worry. then i'll have to not get any of the tank water on me : ( that'll be the difficult part. Thanks for the compliment on my fish I think they're pretty special myself : )

The beneficial bacteria can be susceptible to salt, but should not be affected with the way we salt. :)

Cathy,

Instead of the alkaline buffer, I'd like to use baking soda. What do you think?

Morton's Canning & Pickling salt is what I've been using for the last 2 years and more, when I learned about it here. (Thanks, Fang!)

how do I use the baking soda? should I wait for a water change? do I add after the ph drops? if I add after water change the ph will be where I want it. won't that make it go up?

You add it much like you add the alkaline buffer. The idea is that you add with the WC, so that it stabilizes the pH, helping it to resist change.

You add it much like you add the alkaline buffer. The idea is that you add with the WC, so that it stabilizes the pH, helping it to resist change.

so it won't raise the ph because I just checked it in the 10 and it's back down to 6 !!! I have to do something right now get it up a little anyway then a little more tomorrow

so I added 1/2 teaspoon baking soda and it went from 6 to either 6.8 or 7.0. so if the tap water is 7.8 it'll raise it to 8.8 ? I really don't want that.

so I added 1/2 teaspoon baking soda and it went from 6 to either 6.8 or 7.0. so if the tap water is 7.8 it'll raise it to 8.8 ? I really don't want that.

and more unfortunate news. bobbie just produced some long white poo : (