what is this? sore?

cathys

i was out of town for four days. my husband called me during trip and said she was sucked up against the filter. i asked him to not feed her anymore. i just noticed this big thing on her this morning? Does anyone know what this is? Can someone tell me what to treat with? i live in small town and only thing we have here is Super Walmart.

I do have a few meds but not sure how old they are.

th_DSC01166.jpgth_DSC01170.jpg?t=1363706566:no:

Edited by cathys

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

* Ammonia Level (tank):

* Nitrite Level (tank)

* Nitrate level (Tank)

* Ammonia Level (Tap):

* Nitrite Level (Tap)

* Nitrate level (Tap)

* Ph Level, (Tank) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

* Ph Level, (Tap) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?

* What kind of water additives or conditioners?

* Water temperature?

* How often do you change the water and how much?

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

* How many fish in the tank and their size?

* What do you feed your fish and how often?

* Any new fish added to the tank?

* Any medications added to the tank?

* List previous issues experienced (dropsy, SBD, etc.)

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.

* You can really help us to identify with the concern more accurately if you post some pictures and a short video.

//

Please answer all of the questions above as thoroughly as possible. Remember that the water parameters are extremely important for both your tap water and tank water, so they all need to be answered so that we can treat your fish. Without all parameters, there is no safe way to treat.

One of the moderating team should be along shortly to help. :hug I do hope everything

Edited by ChelseaM

Hi Cathys,

Unfortunately, with the info we have so far, there isn't much we can tell. Could you please provide us some pics, as well as answer the questions below? Thanks

Test Results for the Following:
  • * Ammonia Level (tank):
  • * Nitrite Level (tank)
  • * Nitrate level (Tank)
  • * Ammonia Level (Tap):
  • * Nitrite Level (Tap)
  • * Nitrate level (Tap)
  • * Ph Level, (Tank) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
  • * Ph Level, (Tap) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * Water temperature?
  • * How often do you change the water and how much?

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List previous issues experienced (dropsy, SBD, etc.)
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * You can really help us to identify with the concern more accurately if you post some pictures and a short video.

Just wanted to stop by and say that I hope your fish has a speedy recovery. :heart Also, because a patch of scales are ripped out, you might want to keep the water as clean as possible. :)

Hi Cathys,

Unfortunately, with the info we have so far, there isn't much we can tell. Could you please provide us some pics, as well as answer the questions below? Thanks

• * Ammonia Level (tank): 0
  • * Nitrite Level (tank) 0
  • * Nitrate level (Tank) 0
  • * Ammonia Level (Tap): 1.0
  • * Nitrite Level (Tap) 0
  • * Nitrate level (Tap) 5.0

• * Ph Level, (Tank) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) ph 6.6 kh 0 gh 196.9
  • * Ph Level, (Tap) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) ph 7.8 kh 125.3 gh 179.00
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? api drop kits
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? filstar/rena 3 basket, two penguin 35 biowheels
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? amquel plus and i've been adding flourish, flourish excel and flourish iron for plants
  • * Water temperature? 74
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? i change water at least every week or every 4 days. i do 60 to 75 %

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? i changed it yesterday 75%. before that i changed it last wednesday 75%.
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 75 gallon tank running for at least a year.
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 3 goldfish 4 inch, 7 inch and 8 inch
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? pro gold once or twice a day, lettuce,spinach or algae tabs once a day
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? no
  • * Any medications added to the tank? prazipro added 3 times in last week and a half. i added a dose on wednesday after big water change. also added salt at 1 % the first time i did prazipro. i haven't added any more salt since. did not add any prazi with yesterdays water change.
  • * List previous issues experienced (dropsy, SBD, etc.) she has had issues with swim bladder on an off for several months. black moor looked like he had argulus? that's why i was treating with prazi
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? streaks in her tail
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? no problem with eating. have seen her bottom sitting a few times but not sure if she's just resting or it's the swim bladder issue.

• * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. answered in one of the above.
  • * You can really help us to identify with the concern more accurately if you post some pictures and a short video. already posted two pics above. will try and get a short video.

Edited by cathys

sorry i have been adding seachem alkaline buffer

Just wanted to stop by and say that I hope your fish has a speedy recovery. :heart Also, because a patch of scales are ripped out, you might want to keep the water as clean as possible. :)

thank you

not sure what's going on with this post

Hi Cathys, Unfortunately, with the info we have so far, there isn't much we can tell. Could you please provide us some pics, as well as answer the questions below? Thanks
  • * Ammonia Level (tank): 0
  • * Nitrite Level (tank) 0
  • * Nitrate level (Tank) 0
  • * Ammonia Level (Tap): 1.0
  • * Nitrite Level (Tap) 0
  • * Nitrate level (Tap) 5.0
  • * Ph Level, (Tank) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) ph 6.6 kh 0 gh 196.9
  • * Ph Level, (Tap) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) ph 7.8 kh 125.3 gh 179.00 Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? api drop kits
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? filstar/rena 3 basket, two penguin 35 biowheels
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? amquel plus and i've been adding flourish, flourish excel and flourish iron for plants
  • * Water temperature? 74
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? i change water at least every week or every 4 days. i do 60 to 75 %

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? i changed it yesterday 75%. before that i changed it last wednesday 75%.
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 75 gallon tank running for at least a year.
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 3 goldfish 4 inch, 7 inch and 8 inch
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? pro gold once or twice a day, lettuce,spinach or algae tabs once a day
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? no
  • * Any medications added to the tank? prazipro added 3 times in last week and a half. i added a dose on wednesday after big water change. also added salt at 1 % the first time i did prazipro. i haven't added any more salt since. did not add any prazi with yesterdays water change.
  • * List previous issues experienced (dropsy, SBD, etc.) she has had issues with swim bladder on an off for several months. black moor looked like he had argulus? that's why i was treating with prazi
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? streaks in her tail
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? no problem with eating. have seen her bottom sitting a few times but not sure if she's just resting or it's the swim bladder issue.
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. answered in one of the above.
  • * You can really help us to identify with the concern more accurately if you post some pictures and a short video. already posted two pics above. will try and get a short video.

That is so interesting that your kH is 0 in the tank when it is so high in the tap. This is why your pH is a bit lower. This is what I would like for you to do:

1. Do another water change ASAP, and then record, all the parameters again for me. Do this every day. I need to know how fast your kH is being depleted. You're not using RO or some otherwise filtered water, are you?

2. Could you set up QT for the injured fish?

Also, why are you using alkaline buffer?

That is so interesting that your kH is 0 in the tank when it is so high in the tap. This is why your pH is a bit lower. This is what I would like for you to do:

1. Do another water change ASAP, and then record, all the parameters again for me. Do this every day. I need to know how fast your kH is being depleted. You're not using RO or some otherwise filtered water, are you?

2. Could you set up QT for the injured fish?

Also, why are you using alkaline buffer?

i am not using r/o water or filtering it before putting in tank.

I don't understand how your kH could be depleted so quickly.

Could you set up a sick tank for the fish with the sore, and do the checks as I asked above?

It actually doesn't look too bad; he seems to have scraped off a number of scales.

I would definitely remove and treat in QT, since I would like to salt. With all those plants in the tank, that will kill them.

changed the 75 gal water again. set up q tank but it's only a 10 gal. had to move one of my hob filters off the 75 onto the 10.

waiting for water temp to raise to same as 75 then i will check parameters. that may take awhile as i only added cold water.

i usually mix the warm and cold but the water heater has a lot of sediment in it that comes out. for the 10 qt i figured i could

add just cold then heat to same as 75.

what percentage salt for 10 gal ?+

ok i added .1% and will add another .1 in 12 hours then another .1 in another 12 hours.

retested the 75 gal after water change and the 10 gal qt tank without bobbie added to it.

75gal parameters:

ammonia 0 - .25

nitrite 0

nitrate .25

ph 6.8 or 7.0

gh 179.00

kh 71.6

10 gal qt tank:

ammonia 0

nitrite 0

nitrate .25

gh 179

kh 125.3

ph 7.8

How big of a WC did you do on the main tank?

Another reading same time tomorrow? :)

60 to 70 percent

will do reading after work. i get off at 4:30 so

it'll be after that.

ok to add the buffer now ?

Edited by cathys

How big of a WC did you do on the main tank?

Another reading same time tomorrow? :)

60 to 70 percent

will do reading after work. i get off at 4:30 so

it'll be after that.

ok to add the buffer now ?

also is it ok to feed Bobbie in qt tank like i usually do?

Yes, of course. :)

ok to add buffer to get the ph back up to where it usually is?

i hate to experiment if it goes down more : (

Let's not add the buffer for now, please, because there is something very strange going on in the tank. At 120+ ppm kH, your pH should stay rock solid. The fact that it's slipping concerns me. So, let's just chart this out in the next few days, and see what's going on, if you don't mind.