Sign in to follow this  
kiwikacey

Question about adding rocks

Hi there - I'm hoping this is the right place to post my topic. It seemed like the best place, but I'm not sure if it's correct.

I've been thinking of changing my tank setup a bit - specifically from gravel to some larger rocks and maybe a few plants. My question is how do I clean the rocks adequately, so I won't be introducing anything nasty into the tank and I can be sure they're safe for the fish? I've seen a few places in the forum where the poster has scrubbed them with a toothbrush/etc, but what should I use to make sure all the germs/anything harmful, are/is gone?

Thanks a million in advance for your help!

what I would do would be first do the vinegar test. all you have to do is put a few drops of vinegar on the rocks - if they fizz, don't put in your tank! if they don't, then they should be fine. then I would boil them for up to an hour to get rid of nasties, rinse/soak in dechlorinated water (so they're not so hot going in the tank). if you soak, it could be a good idea to check the pH of the water before the rocks going in, then afterwards, to see if they might make a difference.

Haha, I never thought of the vinegar test, or have I ever tested it. :D Guess I'll have some fun with vinegar and rocks. I like things fizzing.

I'd just slosh them around in some water until they look clean and the water comes off clear. What are you afraid they might be carrying?

Edited by shakaho

Thanks for the help! And I'd be afraid of any bad bacteria or parasites/chemicals clinging on. I'm new to the hobby and want to make sure I don't get my fishies sick!

Are you taking these rocks from a fish tank? If not, there won't be any fish parasites/pathogens on them. Any chemicals that will leach out in water will wash out with water.

No, I was thinking of taking them from outside - which is why I wanted to know how to clean them.

Is this a common thing to do, or no?

I did that. Picked up my rocks from a place where the river flows into the sea. My rocks were boiled because I am compulsive and because I wanted to make sure they were free from chemicals that might be present in the river.

I did that. Picked up my rocks from a place where the river flows into the sea. My rocks were boiled because I am compulsive and because I wanted to make sure they were free from chemicals that might be present in the river.

Yeah, that's what I was planning on doing & why I wanted to clean them well enough!

I boiled my rocks/stones for about 1/2 hour after I rinsed them off.

What about using a bleach and water solution? Is that safe to do? This would be if the rocks are too big to fit in a pot to boil them. My boyfriend took a big heavy rock from the river where I live and he put it in the oven first for an hour, then used bleach and water and scrubbed it and rinsed it very well. So far the fish he put in the tank with it are doing fine, just some little neons. If I were to put in smaller rocks I would boil them and not use bleach though. :P

What about using a bleach and water solution? Is that safe to do? This would be if the rocks are too big to fit in a pot to boil them. My boyfriend took a big heavy rock from the river where I live and he put it in the oven first for an hour, then used bleach and water and scrubbed it and rinsed it very well. So far the fish he put in the tank with it are doing fine, just some little neons. If I were to put in smaller rocks I would boil them and not use bleach though. :P

No, bleaching them is not safe. Rocks are porous and can hold the chemical for a long time no matter how much they are rinsed.

I just gathered some rocks from outside for my tank! I rinsed them and boiled them.

No, bleaching them is not safe. Rocks are porous and can hold the chemical for a long time no matter how much they are rinsed.

I figured as much...but his fishies are fine for now, thankfully. But it's good for people to know stuff like this. :)

I just gathered some rocks from outside for my tank! I rinsed them and boiled them.

Nice! Have you posted any pictures?

Please be careful boiling rocks; avoid it if possible. Certain rocks are capable of exploding (well exploding is quite the right word, more violently splitting) when boiled.

Please be careful boiling rocks; avoid it if possible. Certain rocks are capable of exploding (well exploding is quite the right word, more violently splitting) when boiled.

:o I didn't know that. Mine were ok but thanks for the heads up! That sounds cool but frightening.

rubyraindrops: Not yet but I probably will before too long! I just upgraded my tank so I'm definitely going to need to do a photo session at some point. :happydance

I rinse rocks in my wheelbarrow.

I had my hubby pick mine out of a job site he was working on and I just washed them well with a scrubby brush ...after testing with vinegar :)

Never had any problems :)

They are the rocks in my goldfish tank below ;)

Edited by shellbell4ever

Funny lady! Compulsiveness isn't necessarily a bad thing :)

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2