My pond is finally waking up!

I've had my pond up and running since 2008 so thought I'd share some pics of it thru the seasons.

This is it a month ago

pond005_zps21919c45.jpg

This is it today

011_zpse84a2662.jpg

And this is what it will look like in a couple of months

PondJune2009017_zps44776e5c.jpg

And in the fall

IMGP2315_zps0e0a2d0f.jpg

O.O Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can I move in with you? I can sleep outside to guard your pond from...other kokonuts who'll try to steal that pond. ;):P;)

Can you cook?

That is gorgeous!!

How deep is it? (it must get pretty cold where you are) Do you keep the fish in the pond over the winter?

The pond is about 2200 gal. and has an area in the middle that is 4 ft. deep. Yes the fish stay in the pond all winter and in a normal winter we can get down to -15 to -20C for periods of time but this winter the coldest it got was only -7C.

O.O Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can I move in with you? I can sleep outside to guard your pond from...other kokonuts who'll try to steal that pond. ;):P;)

Can you cook?

That is gorgeous!!

How deep is it? (it must get pretty cold where you are) Do you keep the fish in the pond over the winter?

The pond is about 2200 gal. and has an area in the middle that is 4 ft. deep. Yes the fish stay in the pond all winter and in a normal winter we can get down to -15 to -20C for periods of time but this winter the coldest it got was only -7C.

wow, I wouldn't have guessed the pond was that big! That's great. It gives me hope that I can some day have a pond here in VT despite the cold winters (although they have been pretty mild the last couple years!)

:thud. That is just gorgeous--year round. Can we get some fish pics sometime? :please

Do you have any idea how many fish you have in there? :rofl

They're just starting to become active but I will try. It usually takes a while for them to get used to me and I'm not feeding them yet so they don't come running when they see me or hear my voice but they will soon!

I have two koi about 12-14" and 20 or so assorted goldfish. There are frogs and often a few garter snakes around that feast on my fry every year until my cat catches them so I've been lucky with my water parameters - I've never had a reading of ammonia,nitrites or nitrates. It has a lot of marginal plants, lilies and huge pots of tropicals when it warms up. Also water hyacinths,lettuce and duck weed.

It has a rock bottom so I have to do a large clean up of debis on the bottom in the spring even though I put up a huge net over it in the fall to catch most of the leaves.Wish I would have put a bottom drain in it when I built it>

Your pond is so beautiful! :)

Do you have only single tails in the pond, or are there fancies?

Unfortunately it is too cold here for fancies. I started with two shubunkins who made it thru the first winter but lost them the next winter when it hit-20C for a week or two.

Andrea, I can sit there for hours. My husband always wonders how I can just sit there for so long ( especially without a TV , :yikes ) but it's almost like my meditation spot. The only time I wasn't too impressed was when I was sitting down on the steps going down into the pond with my morning coffee and a fair sized garter snake came swimming across the pond towards me! :rofl

The surface is frozen over most of the winter except for a spot where I keep a small pump running so I don't see them over winter too much.

Edited by gran'sgoldies1

It's a lovely pond. I like the way it fits into your landscaping. Those flower steppping stones are charming.

Thanks! They were a gift from my Grandson so they are extra special to me.

That's a beautiful pond! How is these snakes in that lovely pond??? :yikes

When we first moved here there was a gully at the end of our property full of large rocks and a snake den!! Then we got our cat who is the best hunter I've ever seen and almost every other day she would bring home a half dead snake and leave it curled up outside our back door. She was still a kitten and wasn't to good at killing them. Yuck!!!! But apparently if snakes are bothered enough they will move their den and that's what happened with us so I'm quite ok with only seeing a couple a year. And within a week or so she finds them and usually kills them.

Oh it is so pretty!!!!!!! You can update with pictures whenever you want you know ;)

Thanks Haley. We actually have put our house up for sale so I will be taking as many pics of things as I can before it sells. I am going to miss my yard and pond a lot but my husband is sick and we are an hour and twenty min. from the nearest hospital so we don'd have much choice. I've had 7 wonderful years here so am very lucky!

A couple a year? I'd be freaked out if I saw one in a millenium :yikes

They freaked me out at first. In fact the nieghbour heard me scream and came over to see if I was ok. But when it happens a lot you have to get used to it or lose your sanity!!!

What a truly stunning, beautiful pond, it looks so tranquil. In fact it looks perfect! I like it all year round. :)

Thanks UKBecs! It is the most wonderful thing in the world to sit down by the waters edge and hand feed the fish and listen to the stream and water wheel. I literally spend hours there. :9

Today is +12C so the fish are pretty active. I managed to get afew shots of them so here they are! The big guy at the bottom of the first pic is a ghost koi named Izzy as he was bred in Israel.

bth_pondfishiesmar13017_zps22596261.jpg

The big orange and black koi at the bottom of this one is Boo and he's my oldest. I got him in 2008 as a tiny little 3in. guy. He's 12-13in now.

bth_pondfishiesmar13016_zps50a903cf.jpg

The rest of my guys are rescues or fry that I raised.

bth_pondfishiesmar13018_zpsb3351a0c.jpg

bth_pondfishiesmar13009_zps6c20dc05.jpg

bth_pondfishiesmar13001_zpsc695520f.jpgWhen the ice melted I found that I'd lost 2 of my Sarasas to a fungal

infection so I added salt to .3% and so far everyone is doing fine and there is no sign of fungus. I've lost a few before to a fungal infection and it was a mild winter that time too. I seem to have more problems after a mild winter rather than a severe one. Don't know if that is just a coincidence or not. :idont

Now that they're getting active I can get out there and start the spring clean-up. Man I love SPRING!

Edited by gran'sgoldies1