Sign in to follow this  
larryngu

The instant cycle Gods are not with me. :-(

I bought some Fritz Zymes online and I paid around $ 77 dollars to have the product shipped overnight to me.

Did not work. :cry

I already bought very beautiful fishes from Rain Garden. They will arrive this coming Friday.

I also bought a Aqueon water changer to make doing a fish in cycle much easier.

I did not download the pictures of the fishes before Steve took them down from his website.

I already sent Steve an email requesting that ;if he didn't already permenately the pictures, to please send them to me.

If I sends me the pictures, I will share them.

I thought you had been cycling a tank? If there is no ammonia in the water, there is no food for them to consume. No food means no cycle. What were your params when trying this? It can be hit or miss with these products.

I'm sorry it didn't work, but we did warn you repeatedly that instant cycling is fickle and probably won't work. :(

The product didn't work? or did it not show up? If it was product failure, instant cycle type products need there to be ammonia present to feed the beneficial bacteria.

*multiple snipes

Edited by ahardeay

My forty gallon tank has been sitting idle for months.

I just restarted it.

The product didn't work? or did it not show up? If it was product failure, instant cycle type products need there to be ammonia present to feed the beneficial bacteria.

*multiple snipes

It did not work.

I did add ammonia tank at the level of 2 ppm of ammonia.

Water changes (and your water changer) are going to be your new best friend for the next few months. Fish in cycles are not impossible. You just have to be on top of your water parameters . . .

Edited by fantailfan1

eeek that is a lot of money.

Well, daily water changes are a good thing when fish are in QT anyway ;) Just stay on top of testing your water and doing water changes and things will be fine.

WOw sorry hun.... Like I always say... sometimes things are just to good to be true.... just like this stuff. :(

Read this article by Steve. A relevant excerpt:

The quarantine tank, pond or tub should provide at least ten to twenty gallons per fish. The more space there is, the easier the quarantine process will be for you and your fish. If there is inadequate space, either you will be forced to do larger and more frequent water changes, or the fish will be exposed to poor water quality.

Do not start with a tank which has housed other fish. It should either have been bone dry for a month or so, or disinfected before preparing to quarantine new arrivals.
After cleaning out any debris or sludge, the tank can be disinfected using two tablespoons of household bleach (e.g. Clorox) per gallon or water (one cup per ten gallons). Use enough of the chlorine solution to coat all surfaces and then let it stand for ten minutes before rinsing. Rinse well and use a water conditioner or chlorine removal product to make sure there is no residual.

If you are using a biological filter, do a "fishless cycle" using household ammonia. An Internet search for "fishless cycle" will yield numerous descriptions of the process. Some prefer to use a commercial product containing nitrifying bacteria to jump-start the process, but it is not necessary. Remember, when you add your new goldfish to the tank, the beneficial bacteria in the filter will have to adjust their numbers in response to the changing feed input. So, even if the filter is "cycled" the system will have to establish a new balance. It's an ecosystem down there. Expect to have to do larger and more frequent water changes than usual to compensate for the imbalance.

Water changes alone can be used to maintain excellent water quality during the quarantine process. People have been successfully keeping goldfish since before the invention of filters, test kits, packaged nitrifying bacteria, electricity and all the rest.
In general, the more water exchange the better during the quarantine process. Fifty percent every day or every other day usually works fine if you have fifteen gallons per fish. One hundred percent per day is not too much. If you can measure even a trace of ammonia or nitrite, or if the water becomes cloudy, then you should be changing more water. You will find that the amount of water that needs to be exchanged declines over time.