Sign in to follow this  
finnfinnfriend

Which brand of pellets are best for goldfish?

Personally, I'd choose Hikari Oranda Gold, but it's just a floating version of the Lionhead one, or Pro-Gold. :)

I've heard very good things about Omega One although I haven't tried that with my fish. I've used Saki Hikari in the purple bag and ProGold. All of those 3 are excellent GF foods. What it comes down to is how your fish do with them . . . Some fish do well with any food, others get floaty on certain pellets. Start with one and go from there. :D

Don't forget to include some veggies (spinach or green beans or Repashy Super Green) and it's nice to treat them with blood worms or perhaps brine shrimp on occasion also.

I would suggest not feeding peas daily. They have been known to cause gas. :(

Food brand preferences are often based on opinion, along with how your fish interacts with their diet. You just have to find what works best for you! :) I personally haven't even found a favorite yet. Check out the pinned topics in the foods section to learn more things you can feed your fish with.

Thanks everyone!

I guess it's ultimately up to me...But I want to know...which seems to be best for growth and which is best for long term maitenance?

I fed first flakes, then to terra color singing goldfish granular, then to omega one, and finally stopped at pro-gold :). I have seen much growth with this food! My bluebryukin is having a Speer it's insane!

As stated above, all those brands are good choices. I personally prefer sinking pellets(which I pre-soak) and have had good luck with New Life Spectrum and Hikari Lionhead. My one piece of advice is to buy as small of a package of each kind as possible until you find the right one. If you can get free samples, even better. The bigger packages are more cost effective, but are a waste if they don't work out for your fish. The other reason to buy small initially is to gage how long the food will last you. Sometimes the bigger packages expire before you even use half of them. Once you have found "THE ONE(S)" then you can buy bigger.

As stated above, all those brands are good choices. I personally prefer sinking pellets(which I pre-soak) and have had good luck with New Life Spectrum and Hikari Lionhead. My one piece of advice is to buy as small of a package of each kind as possible until you find the right one. If you can get free samples, even better. The bigger packages are more cost effective, but are a waste if they don't work out for your fish. The other reason to buy small initially is to gage how long the food will last you. Sometimes the bigger packages expire before you even use half of them. Once you have found "THE ONE(S)" then you can buy bigger.

I want to get fan tails though, so wouldn't lionhead be the wrong food?

Sorry, didn't see Fantail in your post. Hikari Lionhead would be fine for them, but not necessary. It just has DL-methionine added to encourage headgrowth in wenned goldfish. Pro Gold, Hikari, New Life Spectrum and Omega One are all good foods. My main point was to warn against buying 2 lbs of something until you know it is going to work for your particular fish. I made that mistake and ended up tossing it after it made my guys floaty. I have also had to throw food away because it expired before I used it all. I feed my guys the New Life Spectrum Medium Fish formula because I like the 2mm pellet size. The ingredients are the same as the 1mm and 3mm Goldfish formula.

My Goldfish do great on New Life Spectrum. They have really good ingredient's.

Any pellet that doesn't make your fish floaty is the right one! :P

I have used lionhead, saki hikari, new life spectrum, omega one and progold. I have finally decided on progold and repashy soilent green, but any of these pellets are good quality and would be fine for your fish. I will note that Hikari has come under some fire here in the past for containing msg. Here is a link if you want to read more on this http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/98519-hikari-vs-aqeon-golfish-food/ I think it is still overall a good food, but it's one of those things you should just be aware of when making your decision :)

Yes, I use Solient Green as well...they love it! But Pro-Gold made my guys float:( So...it really depends on your fish. Don't you just wish they could talk and tell us what to feed them :rofl

Would it be okay to feed them pellets in the morning and pea innards in the evening most days?

You should only need to feed peas once a week or so, I feed mine hikari lionhead, new life spectrum, spinach (instead of peas) and as of yesterday repashy soilent green

Just so they don't get bored with the same thing lol

I don't have experience with some of the frequently recommended foods on here such as Pro Gold but I feed Omega One (Along with occasional vegis and flakes) and I like it. It doesn't cause my fish any problems and they adore it! In the future I would like to sample some of the other foods members here rave about but personally, Omega One definitely works for me.

I'm pretty sure there's a large size which I'll have to look for next time but the small Omega One pellets I have are pretty tiny. I mean, neither of my fish are huge and the pellets are still really small, though it's adorable watching the fish eagerly suck up a bunch at once. :lol3

I feed my fish pellets in the morning and peas at night in the summer when they need more food. Is there some reason I shouldn't?

Can somebody provide support for the frequently made statement that green peas cause gas? As I understand it, the legumes that produce intestinal gas do so because they contain indigestible trisaccharides. These are storage forms of sugar, like starch is, and are formed as the seed matures. Mature dried peas contain trisaccharides, but I can't find any suggestion that green peas do.

Would it be okay to feed them pellets in the morning and pea innards in the evening most days?

You should only need to feed peas once a week or so, I feed mine hikari lionhead, new life spectrum, spinach (instead of peas) and as of yesterday repashy soilent green

Just so they don't get bored with the same thing lol

You can actually feed peas daily, if the fish can tolerate it.

I feed my fish pellets in the morning and peas at night in the summer when they need more food. Is there some reason I shouldn't?

:rofl

I can't think why you shouldn't :rofl

I feed peas nearly daily and have for two years.

Every fish is different. Mine is 'off' when fed Soilent Green. It is the only food he has ever reacted to - and I've done the science fair experiments to make sure it was the SG.

Edited by motherredcap

I am back to using pro gold as their main diet.

I would like to suggest Hikari Lionhead.

I used to feed my fish this food and never had any problem with it.

Plus point is that they are sinking type and have good amount of protein in it. Also if you have oranda goldfish than this food promotes head(wen) growth.

I have heard lot about saki-hikari which gets the color out of the fish so much that white will turn yellow.

I have heard lot about saki-hikari which gets the color out of the fish so much that white will turn yellow.

That's what happened when I used Saki-Hikari. I had a white fish at the time, and I didn't like the orange wash he got.

That's what happened when I used Saki-Hikari. I had a white fish at the time, and I didn't like the orange wash he got.

So did you discontinue? If you did then did color fade away or remained.

I stopped feeding it. The orange wash faded quite a bit, but never completely.