Dying Fry =(

BurningIvy

Hello everybody, months have gone by and the fry have all been fine but as of today... I've lost about 7 of them. They're not very big yet but I feel it's a little strange to have lost that many out of seemingly no where. These are the smallest ones not the older ones. These are about a month old. Is this an age where many die off?

Have you treated for flukes? Flukes can cause sudden major losses. You can use quick cure at a half dose or powdered prazi at a regular dose.

I recommend powder prazi and not liquid for two reasons. Powder is much more concentrated and cost effective, and liquid prazi thickens the water a little and can create a film on the surface.

I'm sorry youre losing fry

Mine are almost a month and I have lost a few as well.

Edited by GreenTea

I haven't treated for flukes just because i hadn't really thought of it =/ I only have liquid but it'll have to do until I can get the powder. I hope they get better, I don't like watching them struggle =((((

I haven't treated for flukes just because i hadn't really thought of it =/ I only have liquid but it'll have to do until I can get the powder. I hope they get better, I don't like watching them struggle =((((

Yeah try it absolutely. You want to get on it as fast as possible. Allison (ahardeay) lost over half her fry to flukes.

Flukes can break the jaws of fry, making it impossible for them to derive oxygen from the water efficiently or eat.

In the future you can start treating fry at 2 weeks to prevent this. You may lose some more, but hopefully you can get it under control.

You can use 1 drop quick cure per 2 gallons as well. Well it is not ideal due to its harshness, that same harshness can stop parasites from damaging all your fry. It is safe to use, extremely cheap, and available at a variety of stores. I hope this is helpful to you. Good luck. Keep us updated? <3 Hang in there.

Yes I lost all my fry except 5 from my batch of 200+. Mine were about 3 1/2 to 4 weeks when the die offs happened and most of them had the stuck open mouths.:( it was flukes.

Powder prazi is extremely difficult to dissolve in water. It just wants to stick to the surface.

You can remedy this with a few drops of vodka or pure castile soap. Just one or two drops of each in a cup, plus a little tank or dechlorinated water with he prazi dose. It will dissolve in much easier.

Powder prazi is sold affordably at goldfish connection and our sponsor tasty worms I believe.

Edited by GreenTea

Fry normally does not "naturally die off". There is no such thing.

I'd definitely treat for flukes. I used the liquid Prazi Pro with mine and it works so well. I know Dr.Foster & Smith carry it online.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=12098&cmpid=03csegpl&ref=6111&subref=AA&CAWELAID=525409530&catargetid=1570177152&cagpspn=pla

I'd definitely treat for flukes. I used the liquid Prazi Pro with mine and it works so well. I know Dr.Foster & Smith carry it online.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=12098&cmpid=03csegpl&ref=6111&subref=AA&CAWELAID=525409530&catargetid=1570177152&cagpspn=pla

Well but there are fish who die because they have bad spines and don't get to food fast enough from hatching, spiral swimmers, organ issues, beat by the competition for resources, etc. So a certain amount of die off is normal. 7 fish in one day however, is not normal.

Ivy - Can you tell us what your fry set up has looked like this whole time, in what amount of space, number of fry, diet etc? If it turns out not to be flukes we'll need this info anyway :)

How are they doing today?

Edited by GreenTea

http://www.drsfoster...#38;cagpspn=pla

Well but there are fish who die because they have bad spines and don't get to food fast enough from hatching, spiral swimmers, organ issues, beat by the competition for resources, etc. So a certain amount of die off is normal. 7 fish in one day however, is not normal.

How are they doing today?

Well, yes. I should have worked that better. :D

HEALTHY fish don't just die off like that. When you suddenly have a bunch of healthy looking fry die within a day, then there is obviously something wrong. :)

Sorry I didn't respond, stuff got crazy. Anyway, I haven't lost anymore. They are all being treated with prazi and salt as of today. They live in a 15G sterilite tub with an airstone and crushed coral. It's not much but it's all I've got and til now it's been doing just fine. I can tell they're restless but I have no better means of storing them and petpro won't take them until they are GOLDfish not fry color. I really just need them to change color so they can get nice homes. Oh, and we're down to 30~ They're too fast to count but that's as many as I could. It may be 35. But I think in total I lost 11 the other day and I had 46 at the start of last week so at least they aren't eating each other anymore.

They vary from 1 cm to 1.5 inches and in age from 1 month to 3 months. Pictures will be possible but not until tomorrow as the light they have is weak and it's dark out =/

The prazi should help, but I continued to have die offs until about 3 days of prazi in the water. I hope they make it ok. It sounds like (and you probably know) that they are too crowded as well. Any way you can get another container for them? Maybe a kiddie pool?

Based on when Bill got his they're close at least, the majority of them are close. It sucks being so restricted. I want to give them all the space in the world but I haven't got the resources. I do a lot of water changes though. Hopefully they'll be okay.

I can't get them anything bigger. My parents already want me to downsize my adult fish. It's just not possible. =/

You can always send Big Bill to his godmoms house. :D

Bill has got plenty of space to call home! And he'll have even more space when his evil stepmom stops trying to make him dinner. You wouldn't want to foster one of his little bros would you?

Foster? Hahaha I know that story as in foster them till they're old enough to go to college. I'm going back home for a few weeks, I holler at you about it when I get back.