Sign in to follow this  
CindyGen

Cleaning Acrylic

Can I wipe the acrylic tanks down with bleach solution or will it cloud the acrylic? Thanks!

Hi there....

I would keep a large distance between bleach and anything fish related personally... :unsure:

I've heard that white vinegar is a good and safe cleaning material.... :thumb:

Edited by Phillyn17

Bleach solution is perfectly safe to use to sterilize fish equipment as long as you rinse well and declorinate the tank/equipment before adding fish. I use it for glass tanks all the time. I just don't know if it will discolor acrylic or not.

I'm so sorry....you obviously know the answer to your own question.....I only gave my personal opinion on bleach, and recommended an alternative...

Please forgive me for interfering.... :oops:

Edited by Phillyn17

I was simply stating a fact, many folks here on the forum use bleach solution to sterilize tanks. I do not know why you took such personal offense at that, it was not meant in that way.

I was simply stating a fact, many folks here on the forum use bleach solution to sterilize tanks. I do not know why you took such personal offense at that, it was not meant in that way.

I did not take any offence...I was just under the impression that my opinion was unwanted.

Have a good weekend...

Edited by Phillyn17

Whos ready for the ufc fight tonight?

On a serious note I have an acrylic tank and I have used vinegar and one used the api cleaner I haven't used bleach yet, I would start on a small spot just to take and doubts away. I am about to move to the mainland and would like to clean my tank with bleach as well please update us when you do

I don't know if I will be brave enough to try it myself unless someone with experience chimes in. I cleaned it with hot water today and wiped it down with a soft cloth so it looks good. I have someone that wants to buy it and I wanted to have it ready to go for them so they could just add their fish. I may just leave it like it is and tell them they need to sterilize it and let them decide how they want to do that. They want to come get it tomorrow so if I don't do it tonight.....

I don't know if I will be brave enough to try it myself unless someone with experience chimes in. .

Am I getting over sensitive and paranoid, or was this directed at "moi"? :unsure:

Edited by Phillyn17

I thank everyone to get back on topic, and to stay on topic, which for this thread are: good ways to cleaning acrylic.

Thank you.

I don't know if I will be brave enough to try it myself unless someone with experience chimes in. .

Am I getting over sensitive and paranoid, or was this directed at "moi"? :unsure:

I think she just meant that she'd be afraid to use beach unless someone who had actually used bleach on an acrylic tank said it was safe. That's all.

I thank everyone to get back on topic, and to stay on topic, which for this thread are: good ways to cleaning acrylic.

Thank you.

Agreed :thumbs:

I think she just meant that she'd be afraid to use beach unless someone who had actually used bleach on an acrylic tank said it was safe. That's all.

As for this whole thing... I understand.. typically bleach is used to clean tanks, but yes some times if you use to much bleach on anything plastic it can change the appearance of it.. I my self would be a little hesitate on doing such a thing.. and now Phil its not directed at you hun. Its just personal opinion and everyone has one :)

:hug

Mmmm OK, just another unfortunate example of.......

Two great nations DIVIDED by a common language. :rolleyes:

LOL!!

Edited by Phillyn17

Mmmm OK, just another unfortunate example of.......

Two great nations DIVIDED by a common language. :rolleyes:

LOL!!

Alls good my Welch friend....:hug

Well, I have a solution to that:

- sleep overnight on it, before deciding to get mad/upset/piqued/irritated/offended at people on the interwebz :)

Anyway, Cindi, I'm sorry I can't help with the question, since I have not ever owned an acrylic tank. I would think that it would be OK, but hopefully Shawn can weigh in with personal experience. (For those of you who also have acrylic tank, please chime in as well.) :)

Well, I have a solution to that:

- sleep overnight on it, before deciding to get mad/upset/piqued/irritated/offended at people on the interwebz :)

Anyway, Cindi, I'm sorry I can't help with the question, since I have not ever owned an acrylic tank. I would think that it would be OK, but hopefully Shawn can weigh in with personal experience. (For those of you who also have acrylic tank, please chime in as well.) :)

As I said above ....

typically bleach is used to clean tanks, but yes some times if you use to much bleach on anything plastic it can change the appearance of it.. I my self would be a little hesitate on doing such a thing

May I be allowed to publicly apologise to CindiGen for any misunderstanding on my part, possibly related to incorrect context, during this thread...... :hug

Edited by Phillyn17

May I be allowed to publicly apologise to CindiGen for any misunderstanding on my part, possibly related to incorrect context, during this thread...... :hug

Of course hun... We are one Big happy family :thumbs:

Thanks Koko I decided not to try it. I cleaned it with a soft cloth and told the buyer that it had not been sterilized. He was fine with it. He bought three tanks and filters. Im down to four large tanks and my new pond. Fish are crazy happy in th

eir pond.

Thanks Koko I decided not to try it. I cleaned it with a soft cloth and told the buyer that it had not been sterilized. He was fine with it. He bought three tanks and filters. Im down to four large tanks and my new pond. Fish are crazy happy in th

eir pond.

:thumbs: